Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think the thread title should be Wintry showers, the current implies snow occuring widely and the evidence isn't there for it. Elevations in the north and west only.

Snow widely down to lower levels in the North and with elevation further South.

Met office updated their snow warning for NI.
    2015-1-10

Heavy showers are expected across the area, these falling as snow at low levels across much of Scotland and Northern Ireland, confined more to hills over Northern England. Occasional accumulations of 2-4 cm are likely, with more than 8 cm on high ground

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is little or no difference tomorrow north or south. All the variables are met for showers to be of snow well in to the early hours of Sunday morning. Don't worry ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

There is little or no difference tomorrow north or south. All the variables are met for showers to be of snow well in to the early hours of Sunday morning. Don't worry ;)

Good stuff, I am not sure I can handle another false alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Good stuff, I am not sure I can handle another false alarm.

Don't expect too much and youn won't be disappointed. snow in ireland is always a borderline event and down to the wire especially down here.

Don't expect too much and youn won't be disappointed. snow in ireland is always a borderline event and down to the wire especially down here.

As long as you are away from an immediate windward coast in the west your chances of seeing snow (even in Cork :p ) are quite high. Obviously showers by their nature are hit and miss but even allowing for this they should be plentiful and heavy and dragged to most places on a pretty strong wind. I think most will at least see snowfall tomorrow. As to whether it settles the northwest is the best hope there. But later tomorrow night there should be settling snow elsewhere as well.

Gone by daylight Sunday - next Tuesday and Wednesday looking ever more interesting though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

The thread title is misleading
    A lot of people in populated urban coastal low ground locations which in all fairness is the majority, will only see sleety rain,bursts of wet snow at times in heavier showers and no accumulation except in the usual less populous favoured areas

The poster mountainyman way up in the hills in Sligo or is it donegal should do well

#nottooexcited

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The thread title is misleading
    A lot of people in populated urban coastal low ground locations which in all fairness is the majority, will only see sleety rain,bursts of wet snow at times in heavier showers and no accumulation except in the usual less populous favoured areas

The poster mountainyman way up in the hills in Sligo or is it donegal should do well

#nottooexcited

I agree, it should be, Snow showers with some accumulations for the N and NW. Wintry showers elsewhere away from hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Hopefully there will be a lot of snow on higher ground. A good pasting for some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Must be in a time warp, its 15.2 here at the mo :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

The latest from met.ie mentions snow possibly down to low levels in Ulster/Connaught. And the met office warning for Northern Ireland gives 2-4cm of snow for low ground and up to 8cm over the hills. I live in Donegal (40m asl)away from the coast so I think I will see a dusting of snow maybe a little more but if I lived in Dublin I wouldn't be too excited about a dusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

Ah yeah fully on board as regards Ulster inland north connaught
    Though it won't be disruptive up there
    Tuesday looks better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

That is one huge image Numilus :D

Same chart but at a more manageable size

334242.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Thundersnow for Tuesday anyone? :cool:
    334257.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Title says showers not an all out snow event , move on please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

So what time should we expect the snow showers in the west tomorrow?

As Pistolpete says this is not an "event" and should not be treated as such. Any disruption should be limited to the north west.

From around 9 am on wards away from direct windward coasts that is when the cold air digs in and the showers turn to snow although they will be snow at higher levels before that and that is where the bulk of any accumulation of snow will be.

Through the day the showers will keep coming though the far southeast could stay dry throughout. Favored locations for any significant falls are the north west and just inland of the west coast in Connaught. Showers further east always more scattered and not as heavy.

Progressively colder through the day. To give some idea of the pace of the fall later on it's progged to be around 12c in the east circa 4am and down to 4 or 5c a couple of hours later. It's a fast steep transition. Temperatures gradually rising from the west during the early hours of Sunday morning with showers dieing out and the snow level rising again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Sat image shows some low-topped open-cell convection extending from Greenland, with some Cbs in the area of -40 °C 500 temps. The ECMWF CAPE picks this up nicely, but is showing zero CAPE everywhere but the NW coast tomorrow, so showers will die out very quickly as the steering flow rotates. (Click Keyra for animation).

http://brunnur.vedur.is/kort/spakort/ecm0125_millikort_msl_cape_gh1000-500_t850.html#

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

basically the chance of seeing snow on the ground tomorrow in eastern locations is running at about 0%. Western and northern areas could see some slight dustings for a time before the mild arrives quickly afterwards.

Tuesday onwards sees a higher risk of snow across some western and northern areas, risk across the east still very low.

With 6 weeks to go still waiting very patiently for something to arrive from the east!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Gonzo wrote: »
    basically the chance of seeing snow on the ground tomorrow in eastern locations is running at about 0%. Western and northern areas could see some slight dustings for a time before the mild arrives quickly afterwards.

Tuesday onwards sees a higher risk of snow across some western and northern areas, risk across the east still very low.

With 6 weeks to go still waiting very patiently for something to arrive from the east!

😛 6 weeks !

I'm waiting about 2 years :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

😛 6 weeks !

I'm waiting about 2 years :p

4 years here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

this this winter is blown, the atlantic is too strong, no change int he patterns....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wet snow showers here in Donegal Town at 30asl and quarter mile from coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Was at the Wicklow gap about an hour ago. Was 2c with sleet and very windy!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

SNOWING!!!! Cavan town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Sleety hail mix falling in Galway city. Temp 4.4C, DP 2.1C

Sun shining and blue skies in Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Sun shining and blue skies in Roscommon

Same in Kildare, gorgeous morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Almost blind blizzard here just south of Newry an hour ago. Blue sky again now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

What are the chances of getting snow in the southwest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭kingshankly

South armagh blizzard snow but not lying

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement