Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property still listed, but deposit paid

• 07-12-2011 1:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I viewed and put a deposit on a property on monday with and estate agent. But the following day i noticed that another estate agents had the property listed as still available but for more money a month than i agreed to.

I contacted the new agent yesterday by phone but he didnt answer. He then emailed me ( new agent, not the one i used to pay deposit) and told me that the apartment was available and would i like to view it. I told him that i viewed this apartment and already agreed on it, deposit paid, forms signed and ive a receipt. He never replied, but he renewed the Ad today about 40 minutes ago and he wont respond to me.

Something about this sounds dodgy. The agent im using says its fine, dont worry about it, he said he contacted the landlord and apparently the landlord rang on monday and told them to delist it, but why would he renew it today if that were true.

Is there something dodgy going on here? i move in in 3 weeks, but i dont want people in my apartment now ive paid for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Unfortunately until the vendor signs the contracts they are not committed to selling to you and can pull out at any stage up to then. Hopefully it's just an oversight and the ad will be taken down. Worst case scenario they are keeping the ad up in the hope they will still receive a higher offer. My advice is to proceed as you are doing to have the purchase closed asap (if you really want the property) to avoid someone coming along with a higher bid (believe it or not it does happen even in this market!). I'd also suggest you contact the estate agent you paid the deposit to and ask them to contact the vendor to ensure it's listed as sale agreed immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Relax, they tend not to take them down immediately.

Either they are lazy or busy. You choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

killers1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately until the vendor signs the contracts they are not committed to selling to you and can pull out at any stage up to then. Hopefully it's just an oversight and the ad will be taken down. Worst case scenario they are keeping the ad up in the hope they will still receive a higher offer. My advice is to proceed as you are doing to have the purchase closed asap (if you really want the property) to avoid someone coming along with a higher bid (believe it or not it does happen even in this market!). I'd also suggest you contact the estate agent you paid the deposit to and ask them to contact the vendor to ensure it's listed as sale agreed immediately.

I believe the OP stated the second listing was more per month I am therefore assuming this is a rental. It you have paid deposit and lease is signed by both parties then all should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

I believe the OP stated the second listing was more per month I am therefore assuming this is a rental. It you have paid deposit and lease is signed by both parties then all should be ok.

My bad, mis-read & thought you were purchasing. Agree with ResearchWill...should be fine although nothing guaranteed until lease is signed by both parties

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I think some agents leave it up for the term they've paid for just to get more people calling them so they can refer to a different property maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 KimmyKims

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I think some agents leave it up for the term they've paid for just to get more people calling them so they can refer to a different property maybe.

When i was looking to rent this happened to me a few times, id call up and they would tell me property was gone but would suggest similar properties on their books.Some ads were left up for weeks even though they were occupied

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Relax, the market is dead, its unlikely to be a problem. I'm closing today and my house is still on Daft! Its off myhome, I think the agent just forgot to take it off Daft.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement