Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to beat the January Blues??

• 06-01-2013 10:53pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Like most here I adore Christmas and I love everything about it, the build up, the shopping, the buzz, the holidays everything, and when the season is over I am seriously down in the dumps. This year more so than has hit me hard, I was back in work Wednesday and that was heartbreaking!!! Took down the decorations today which was also upsetting, I think it's hurting more this year as I am living in Dublin with my beautiful girlfriend but all of my family and friends who I saw or the Christmas live back home in tipp.

Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle the jan blues????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Like most here I adore Christmas and I love everything about it, the build up, the shopping, the buzz, the holidays everything, and when the season is over I am seriously down in the dumps. This year more so than has hit me hard, I was back in work Wednesday and that was heartbreaking!!! Took down the decorations today which was also upsetting, I think it's hurting more this year as I am living in Dublin with my beautiful girlfriend but all of my family and friends who I saw or the Christmas live back home in tipp.

Do exercise..can't beat it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

After you take down the decorations, and cleared all the dust, give the place a coat of paint, it brightens up the place and keeps ya busy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

After you take down the decorations, and cleared all the dust, give the place a coat of paint, it brightens up the place and keeps ya busy.

It's a rented place so don't think I'll be doing that. But I have been cleaning like a mad man to keep myself busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Plan something nice to day. We have booked a play so that is something nice to look forward to. Plus January is the month I do a lot of reading so stock up on some books (or Dvds) and enjoy some cozy nights in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Definitely having something to look forward to helps. :)
    I have a big enough event late January and am having a big girly dinner/night out at the end of January. I'm already planning getting my hair done, buying an outfit for the event I'm going to etc. January flies in when you've a lot going on. There's a week of it over already thank goodness!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Definitely having something to look forward to helps. :)
    I have a big enough event late January and am having a big girly dinner/night out at the end of January. I'm already planning getting my hair done, buying an outfit for the event I'm going to etc. January flies in when you've a lot going on. There's a week of it over already thank goodness!!

I'm currently in the process of booking a weekend in Kilkenny at the end of Jan it's my anniversary with my go then. So I have that to look forward to, I suppose after that its a case of take each month as it comes.

Love the DVD and book idea and I have already began pulling together a collection for 2013 to watch and read!

I still think we should set up a support group meet once a month and talk of Christmases gone :P

So how's everyone surviving January so far?

I'm getting over my blues, going away this weekend and having a 4 day week this week certainly helps. Still missing the Christmas season and the apt still looks weird without the tree.

How are all ye getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

you need to book a sun holiday in January - it gives you something to dream about during the long winter months of January and February. You can do some research on the area you will be visiting - it definitely keeps the january blues away. There are some great sun holiday deals in January.

otherwise, just plan a couple of days away in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I am a big winter fan so don't mind January or February at all. In fact I love the cold days and cosy nights.
    If I get the January blues it's because Christmas is over and everyone is back to normal which is depressing.

I wouldn't go near a sun holiday now - it would have to be a snowy place!!
    Did anyone see Donal Skeehan's Christmas special on Christmas Eve? He filmed his cooking show in some magical snow covered land - think it was Switzerland? Wherever it was, it was very traditional with wooden cabins and little markets in the middle of a snow covered forest. It was delightful and I would just love to go somewhere like that.

I was watching it with my Mum and Auntie and we jokingly said how it would be wonderful to spend Christmas in a place like that. We could forgo the presents and save money to go there.
    I said it to my brother last week and he was all on for it. Now we are not well off by any means and would have to save up to go there but wow, it would be a dream come true :D

I am a big winter fan so don't mind January or February at all. In fact I love the cold days and cosy nights.
    If I get the January blues it's because Christmas is over and everyone is back to normal which is depressing.

I wouldn't go near a sun holiday now - it would have to be a snowy place!!
    Did anyone see Donal Skeehan's Christmas special on Christmas Eve? He filmed his cooking show in some magical snow covered land - think it was Switzerland? Wherever it was, it was very traditional with wooden cabins and little markets in the middle of a snow covered forest. It was delightful and I would just love to go somewhere like that.

I was watching it with my Mum and Auntie and we jokingly said how it would be wonderful to spend Christmas in a place like that. We could forgo the presents and save money to go there.
    I said it to my brother last week and he was all on for it. Now we are not well off by any means and would have to save up to go there but wow, it would be a dream come true :D

Agree with that, it's the going back to normality that's the most depressing thing. Getting used to it tho! ;)

I would to go somewhere snowy and cold for a holiday, but def not for Christmas, Christmas is to be spent in Ireland, no better place I tells ye!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Don't get too complacent, it's only 331 days to Christmas 2013. Better start developing your list and arranging for it to get checked- never too early you know. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Gonna head to New York in November so that's something to look forward to.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I refuse to take the Christmas wallpaper off my phone. Down. Right. Refuse.

I only took mine off the phone two days ago. It was a sad moment.

For a moment I thought you meant actual Christmas wallpaper. I was like, wow, that's dedication to the festivities!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

lockie1983 wrote: »

I hear you. Feckin' love christmas. I think the january blues are natural enough. I mean theres always a coming down period after any big event. I know a girl who got married during the summer and had a bad case of post-wedding blues for months after. I dont think the answer though is to book holidays or start planning other events straight away because what you're really doing there is avoiding feeling the loss of something you enjoyed. I think if you start booking things you'll never stop and end up on a constant treadmill of bouncing from one thing to another.
    Like I said I love christmas big time and I do feel that loss when its all over, but I find that if you just let it be and not try to avoid or get away from feeling that loss, it works itself out pretty quickly and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

I'm lucky, I have a daughter that I read to every night and as we had snow recently and I made a snowman with her, I've been reading 'The Snowman' to her every night for storytime before bed :)

Also, another way I have of staving off the post-Christmas blues is that I have a framed picture of a Christmas tree bauble hanging on the wall. My Christmas tree normally stands in front of it each year.

Basically, it's a photograph of a red bauble hanging on a Christmas tree branch, with a christmas tree light shining in the background. The photo is mounted on white card in a white frame and hangs on the wall. I see it every day and am reminded of my favourite time of year. :)

I actually use this picture as part of my daily meditation ritual. I light a 'Christmas spices' candle and spend time contemplating the bauble, the tree needles and the soft glow of the light in the background and it helps me achieve peace and my own sense of the joy of Christmas...everyday :)

Some lovely ideas there guys! :)

I'm glad to report I've kicked the January Blues! January went by unbelievably quick and I'm enjoying the fact the mornings and evenings are getting that little bit brighter. And it's great to have the six nations back.

I'm looking forward to Paddy's Day and Easter and before I know it Summer will be here and once summer is over the build up to Christmas 2013 begins!! YAY!!! :D:D:D

I have to agree with 2013 Loughc ;)

2013 went so quick and even though Christmas seems so far away now the build up is never too long coming back around and for me the build up is the best part :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Thanks Loughc. I suffer January Blues if I am honest. I have to say that I try and keep myself busy with fitness etc. I am not working at the moment but I try and keep positive.

I love Christmas. Yes the shopping can be mad but you only appreciate it afterwards. However the buildup, Christmas carol music and Christmas music itself is brilliant (George Michael's last Christmas is still in my head!) I think also that it is a time to be with family, chill out, eat and drink too much.

January is my birthday but I still hate the month. Happy Epiphany folks. Keep positive thinking!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I miss the glow of the Christmas tree lights at night, so what I do is light a few tea lights, scented Christmas ones are even better, so cinnamon, cranberry, something like that. Takes the cold edge off the living room.
    And definitely stock up on some dvd box sets/netflix, you get sucked in and can't wait for the following evening to watch another episode! And before you know it January is over. ;) I can recommend Ray Donovan if you haven't seen it, and Orange is The New Black.
    If you can handle it, maybe stick on a Christmas movie on Friday night, finish off the selection box, though that might just make things worse....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Called in to the forum with a bit of Christmas withdrawl myself.
    Was thinking of dedicating one date in the month as 'Off Season Christmas Day'... eg, 25th of each month !
    You know, a do Christmassy things day/night. It could mean a little effort, or huge effort depending on how I was feeling eg. put on Christmas film, or make some decorations, or cook half of Christmas dinner, pull a cracker, wear my Christmas pjs ( the furry thermal ones in Aug lol) Play Christmas music up loud for all to hear, sing/hum Christmas Carols under my breath at work and see how many people pick up the tune... :) etc...

eskimocat wrote: »
    Called in to the forum with a bit of Christmas withdrawl myself.
    Was thinking of dedicating one date in the month as 'Off Season Christmas Day'... eg, 25th of each month !
    You know, a do Christmassy things day/night. It could mean a little effort, or huge effort depending on how I was feeling eg. put on Christmas film,

That's actually a brilliant idea! Make the 25th of every month a mini Christmas, even start small and add to it each month until you reach the big day itself.

It also has given me an idea of a Christmas Movie Book-Club type thing. We each watch the same christmas movie on the 25th and post our reviews and thoughts on the Christmas Forum :)

We can watch 11 different movies from the obvious popular ones to some secret favourties that night be hidden gems, from Jan-Nov and maybe more on the run-in to Christmas.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

God, I've been thinking over the last few days while dropping in on this forum that "I thought I was crazy about Christmas, I aint got nothing on ye!!" :D

I'm finding Jan sorta-kinda-ok this year for some weird reason. Having said that, I have made sure that we have a fun event organized for every weekend of the month, so at least when its Monday morning and DH is off to work, we know there is something good to look forward to at the weekend. We will be going on our holidays at the end of the year, makes it less depressing to have the over when you return home to all the Christmas ads appearing on the tv...and so it begins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Heading to see Wicked in Dublin on Friday so can't wait for that and I think I may be going away with friends to Copenhagen in April for a spring break so its nice to have something to look forward to :) (to get my mind off the fact that Christmas is months away! :(:D)

I hear you! January was going well for me (as well as it could go I suppose!). However yesterday afternoon when doing the job search was a complete downer with problems left right and centre. A day doing something Christmassy sounds fun as it feels a huge downer that all the lights, trees etc are down :(

leahyl wrote: »
    God, I've been thinking over the last few days while dropping in on this forum that "I thought I was crazy about Christmas, I aint got nothing on ye!!" :D

Just listening to "I wish it could be Christmas every day" by Wizard. Wierd but it is cheering me up!!!!!

Our neighbour still has the decorations up on the windows of the front of their house. Older man, bungalow -which one of you is it????

Well done to him. I wish there was more people like him. If you feel like it decorations and Christmas trees should be kept up to at least St.Patricks Day when at least the days get brighter and the weather (hopefully) a little bit sunnier then why not!! Has anybody ever heard of Mr.Christmas Andy Park? Now I must admit this guy is very very hardcore!!!!!:)

http://www.mrchristmas.co.uk/infomrchristmas.htm

• Advertisement

Even I think that guy is a headcase! :pac:

Advertisement