Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish weather

• 01-01-2005 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with our weather its gone mad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I know, first snow on Christmas day, and now this! The tornado thing woke me up this morning at about 1 or so. I just heard all these mad gusts, then climbed out of bed and looked out the window at the chaos in our back garden. Really swirly wind, and hail beating down - I actually thought the wind was going to knock my window in!

Just another days weather really.
    These events happen more often that you think, it's just that they are not always recorded because they haven't hit populated areas ie the pale.

About 2 years ago in October, there was a series of tornado's(never really confirmed as such) hit south co wicklow and North wexford during a storm system that passed through the area over night.
    roof's were blown of sheds and houses and in and around me I counted 12 esb poles snapped right off.
    Electricity was out over a wide area for two whole days and nights, the crews had so much work repairing the lines.
    A friend of mine who does some canoe-ing in the wicklow mountains said go-ing down river on the sunday after the storm, there were areas where there was no damage and then all the tree's just flattened, then no damage and then tree's flattened again.
    Localised squals in the storm or probable mini tornado's caused that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Carpenter wrote:
    Whats the story with our weather its gone mad

No it is going exactly as it should be when you take into account what global warming is doing to the weather system. According to my sources there was a record amount of rainfall in 2004 and thats pretty much what you can expect from now on(wet mild grey weather) until there is a desalination of north atlanic drift which will cause the next ice age.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Global Warming.....Global Hogwash!
    The Earth is not going through anything more than
    a natural climate change, which it has gone
    through millions of times before. The extent of
    Warming in the last 30 Years if you look at records
    is not as staggering as you have been told by the media.
    The earth goes through various changes led on by different
    things. To think that a small amount of pullution has disrupted
    weather patterns so much to send us into crisis is nothing
    more than a myth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

more than a myth ;)

DIDN'T YOU WATCH DAY AFTER TOMMOROW...

You're the guy who got all those people killed.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

...so you did'nt watch last nights Horizon on BBC 2 about Global Dimming then?

Mike.

more than a myth ;)

Even though when one plane flies across the atlantic however far that is it leaves a contrail that spreads to about 40km i.e. an unatural cloud maker.
    Besides all I need to wear anymore in Ireland is a water proof jacket no need for gloves, hats, scarfs or oil heating all I find I have to do is stay dry.
    You cannot ignore the fact that to produce the energy we need we are spewing well over millions of tons of co2 into the atmosphere. Don't be so sure that everything is ok just cause it doesn't directly affect Y O U.

I can remember as child seeing at least 20 days reasonable freezing. In 2004 I remember about 5.

But what gives you the right to blame a small amount of alien
    chemicals?? There are numerous periods in our past where the
    climate shifted through milder and colder climes to simply
    think that we have the power to affect the planet in
    such a drastic way is absurd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you a) American and b) the owner of a "SUV"?

Mike.

But what gives you the right to blame a small amount of alien
    chemicals?? There are numerous periods in our past where the
    climate shifted through milder and colder climes to simply
    think that we have the power to affect the planet in
    such a drastic way is absurd!

What would be the natural reasons for the climate to change so much that in the space of 10 years in which we have had an economic boom(lots of fossil fuels burned and loads of new cars) the climate has got progressively milder and wetter. Essentially what I would like to know is are you afraid to admit that the human race may be responsible for damaging their environment so you put the responsibility on nature. We are hugh force of nature(atom-bomb hello) with an unbelievable ability to destroy our surroundings so they better suit our needs. When you consider Ireland was once covered in forest can you imagine what affect that has on the climate in western europe when it is reduced to something like I don't know 10% or less. Nature fluctuating or not we are doing damage and that can't be denied.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Are you a) American and b) the owner of a "SUV"?

Mike.

Nicely put.

No offence but it shows how the Media have brainwashed
    you into believing this Hogwash, i'll find some facts when
    i have time ;)

No offence but it shows how the Media have brainwashed
    you into believing this Hogwash, i'll find some facts when
    i have time ;)

If you wouldn't mind i actually would be greatfull because there is certainly alot of bull**** about this topic in the media. If you are interested check out www.climatehotmap.com.

To think that a small amount of pullution has disrupted
    more than a myth ;)

I'm thinking you should apply for a job with George dubya... :D
    Just finished reading an article listing off events in the last year...

lets see-Global events in 2003/4
    • 2004=4th hottest year on record, 10 of which happened since 1990
    • Icelands highest temp on record-aug 11th 2004 of 24.8c
    • first south atlantic hurricane-march 2004
    • 1717 tornados in 2004 in the U.S, the most ever
    • Saudi Arabia gets snow this january as did jerusalem,the lebanon and athens
    • Texas had its first white xmas in 86 years
    • The sahara has record rains leading to a plague of locusts that reach Italy and the canaries in their travels.
    • The Irish insurance industry paid out a record €24 billion in weather related damage payments.
    Thats but a small sample.

Theres no doubt somethings going on and not just here.
    Is this independent of polution enhanced global warming,I doubt it.We dont feel the effects of a 1 degree difference in temperature, but globally the change would have a significant effect on the energy available to drive significant weather events.

Just to let you know i despise George W Bush!

All of the facts you listed Earthman
    * 2004=4th hottest year on record, 10 of which happened since 1990
    * Icelands highest temp on record-aug 11th 2004 of 24.8c
    * first south atlantic hurricane-march 2004
    * 1717 tornados in 2004 in the U.S, the most ever
    * Saudi Arabia gets snow this january as did jerusalem,the lebanon and athens
    * Texas had its first white xmas in 86 years
    * The sahara has record rains leading to a plague of locusts that reach Italy and the canaries in their travels.
    * The Irish insurance industry paid out a record €24 billion in weather related damage payments.

All of the facts are true and i agree our climate is changing but i do not
    put it down to the Greenhouse effect and all that hogwash. All those
    "records" are records that go back 200 years at most. Did America
    own super High Res Radar systems in 1700?? No. Would a white
    Christmas of been echoed around the world in 1650?? Do we
    have records from the 1500 from Iceland? No

I agree our climate is changing and quite dramatically but this has
    happened in the past, how do you think the Ice Age began??
    Did our pollutions cause it??

People have to grow up to the fact that as sad as it may seem
    we cant stop what Nature is doing its force is uncomprehendable
    and were heading into unknown territory.

Just to let you know i despise George W Bush!
    How can one despise someone, that one has never met, you mean you despise his policies surely
    i agree our climate is changing but i do not put it down to the Greenhouse effect and all that hogwash.
    Surely you cant dismiss the effect greenhouse gasses have entirely.
    Sure... they do not constitue the sole cause of global warming, but were they not there, it would be a slower process.
    how do you think the Ice Age began??
    Nope, but they wouldnt have slowed it down if they were there.

Remember it's not animals with huge long necks from jurassic park that picked a hole in the ozone layer :D it was man.Scientists even posit that intensive farming and the ensue-ing methane gasses something not there in prehistoric times is contributing to the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Man made climate change (as opposed to Global Warming) is a VERY real concept.

Ask anyone aged 40 about how our winters have become more and more mild, also we have become ALOT windier.

The summers are more humid and slightly warmer.

However, our precip is becoming more extreme, long dry spells, long wet spells, whilst our temperatures are becoming more short lived spells. Cold for 1 or 2 days, then mild for another 2 days...

I would like Weathercheck to please give me some info (links books etc.) so I can reprogram my brain considering that he thinks its so washed and influenced.

Certainly when I walk through the local woods on an extremely mild winters day (remember less sunlight than Stalingrad) and I feel all sticky and warm that its not brainwashing or maybe i'm just fooling myself. :eek: :cool:

I would like Weathercheck to please give me some info (links books etc.) so I can reprogram my brain considering that he thinks its so washed and influenced.

Certainly when I walk through the local woods on an extremely mild winters day (remember less sunlight than Stalingrad) and I feel all sticky and warm that its not brainwashing or maybe i'm just fooling myself. :eek: :cool:
    :D I will at the Weekend very busy this week ;)

Advertisement