Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Batton down the hatches

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

6th of January 1839 was the night of the Big wind, :) just some useless information

back in the 21st century

Galway estate evacuated because of flooding

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0107/weather.html

BBC Radar Image at 1800 hours

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/live/brradar6.jpg

we got a serious amount of rain this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i am just back from driving 10miles from the fiancee's house

branches big enough to kill a fella rolling along the ground
    a hedge a bit too big too drive over, but i did anyway cos the nearby tree was swaying too much to hang around

a lot more bushes
    a lot more branches
    an entire fooken tree blocking the road and cause me to take a 5 mile detour
    2 more trees that i could get past,
    home now, glad i am not a statistic for tomorrows news
    also hope no one else is hurt, its scary out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Weathercheck's bang on the money. Dundalk is getting hammered. Not seen wind like this since about christmas 5-6 yr ago. House is rattling as I type and the whistle is truning to a howl in the stronger gusts. Not cold out though, and it's not raining either (for now)...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Ah I love the Weather at the mo! nice and fresh, like it's not every friday, I cant walk straight! (as i dont drink)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Electricitys about to go lights flickering so good luck..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Have fun.. Lol.. Yeah the electricity went about 2 hours ago for me! back on in 30 mins tho! :)

6th of January 1839 was the night of the Big wind, :) just some useless information

Ah ya don't have to go back that far.
    Christmas storms from '96 and '97, both Xmas's brought 100mph winds and the first one put 120,000 homes without electricity iirc
    The ESB network had so much damage done, it could have been 5 or 6 before all homes were reconnected.

Last night 30,000 homes are cut mostly in the South-From RTE:
    The worst affected areas are the south, Cork and Waterford, the Midlands and Galway. They are confident, however, that power will be restored to most parts today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well it really got bad here from 2am till about 5am frequent gusts
    touching 70mph and i reckon if the gusts had of been that
    extra bit it would tipped things over the edge.
    Maximum gust in Ireland as far as i know is 78mph in Finner Camp
    Northern England is currently being ravaged by frequent 90mph gusts
    with a 105mph gust recorded 2 hours ago :eek: :D

I'd also like to in Advance advise people of another stormy day this
    Sunday evening as an intense system approaches the SW wind gusts
    look likely to peak around 0z on Monday Morning with gusts reaching
    75mph possible, this may just tip the scales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

It broke one of the posts in our fence ("4x4") and took a section of fencing out. Arrggh as if I didn't have enough to do.... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Maximum gust in Ireland as far as i know is 78mph in Finner Camp
    79.4 mph gust (Laois) last night @ 1.34am and 46.4mm of rain in the last 24 hours and my weather station lived to tell the tale :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Power went off here at 06:10 after the worst of winds. Rang to report it and was on hold till 07:50!! :(
    Anyhow, got power back at 08:45, though it's still going off at times.

Never really got stormy here. Hardly any debris on roads. max mean was 35mph. Dublin airport had mean of 50mph.

I'm having reception problems with my anemometer and so possibly missed a strong gust or 2. Strongest recorded was 59mph.

Eslewhere, there was a mean speed of 90mph and gust to 130mph on great Dun Fell, 2,500ft up in Pennines

Snow in Roundwood, though don't know if it was sticking.

Actually the power went off here at some point during the night also-all the clocks here are battery run, so I cant point to when, except that I had to turn on the water pumpwhich only off with a power cut and the microwave clock was flashing.
    Went off again about a half hour ago, but just for ten or 15 seconds.
    There was a heavy snow shower up around the croghan area around 10 am which fell as hail here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

windy night, lucky my dog was indoors cause her kennel was thrown half way up the garden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well it was noisy but thats all.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very windy here in South Laois last night, not as severe as the 1996 Christmas Eve storm, but not far off, more like the 1997 storm in fact.

Nonetheless, woke up to a big snow shower at 9.30am.

Ok excitement over for now.
    Power still flicking off here for a few seconds at a time,it's even doing that in town so I guess its a big problem somewhere with surges affecting the system locally.

Theres a very light dusting of snow on Lugnaquilla @3000 ft asl and nothing on croghan at 2000 ft asl

Temp here is almost 6 degree's, thats a big rise on earlier this morning and way too warm for snow.

All reports now in the rain or shine thread please, this one is closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement