Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are Irish people cr*p at haggling?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

tdf7187 wrote: »
    It is largely a forgotten skill. I remember at the age of 16 haggling over the price of an Amiga computer. These days I don't bother haggling, just like the rest of the Irish suckers.

I sold an Amiga 500 Plus through ‘Buy and Sell’ magazine almost 30 years ago at this stage. Put the cash towards an Amiga 1200. You had to ring them and leave a voice mail to place the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Was at the hill of Tara on a warm summers day and witnessed a woman by herself haggle with man in the ice cream van over ice cream cone.....probably only about €2.50.

He wasn't having any of it. She eventually accepted defeat and reluctantly agreeded to pay the full price.

She then asked if he would include a flake for the same price.

He said no. She said his prices were a rip off and walked away without an ice cream.

I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was both bizarre and hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

micar wrote: »
    Was at the hill of Tara on a warm summers day and witnessed a woman by herself haggle with man in the ice cream van over ice cream cone.....probably only about €2.50.

He wasn't having any of it. She eventually accepted defeat and reluctantly agreeded to pay the full price.

She then asked if he would include a flake for the same price.

He said no. She said his prices were a rip off and walked away without an ice cream.

I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was both bizarre and hilarious.

I knew someone worked in a community centre cafe and certain customers used try and and haggle for extra food or lower prices on an already massively subsidised non profit breakfast

I sold an Amiga 500 Plus through ‘Buy and Sell’ magazine almost 30 years ago at this stage. Put the cash towards an Amiga 1200. You had to ring them and leave a voice mail to place the ad.

GlossyPlushBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

When I was in Turkey I got used to it

After a few days of knowing the minimum they would accept on certain clothing (I've been told just get out for offering stupid low amounts ) and also figuring out if they genuinely had literally had no interest themselves to sell or work for the sale ,I changed my approach

If I saw a shirt and let's say they wanted 40lira and I knew I wanted to give no more than 12 lira

I would have my wife wait away out of the shop out of sight and I would purposely only have 12 lira on me with a note in my wallet and change making up the 2lira in my back pocket

After browsing and pretending I had no interest for a minute or 2, I would then ask the price of a random shirt nearby (I had no interest ) he would say X ,
    id say no no
    And move on ltowards the door looking then pick up the one I want

I'd ask the price

He would say 40 ,

I'd say 5 as a joke and eventually my wife would come in as an urgency saying come on we are gonna be late for the dinner , let's go

The shop keeper starts panicking because he had me talking

I would offer 10 as my final offer and open my wallet with the 10 showing and nothing else in the wallet, not even a bank card, just a 10 note

he would be annoyed and know I've no other money and then try to say get money off the wife , but she would literally storm out and be pretending to be annoyed with me for being late and she is now gone altogether

I'd put back the item on the rack and joke saying I'm in the dog house now and he knows anyway I am on the way out the door now to chase the angry wife and get to dinner

I would then pretend I don't care anymore and need to go and say things like

Look , I'd give ya 5 and you didn't want it ,

I've only a 10 on me and flash the stupid note inside the wallet and then start walking out the door step and he would know I'm gone and I'd pull out the 2 lira from the back pocket as if I found something and say look, take the 12 or nothing

I'm on the door edge holding no clothing looking for the wife, moving my head as if that's my focus

They accepted in 95% of cases in anger (obviously they have a Cost base too)

I'd have my shirt and a happy wife

I got a buzz out of it but you need to be in the mood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

They aren't crap at it, it just isn't a thing here.

Although, that being said, i have a relative who says "can you do anything for me" to every retail bloke in every shop we're in. Usually she gets discount too haha. She only gets away with it cos she's a woman. If I said can you do anything for me, they'd probably increase the price. Haha. Priceless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

i will give you two camels for your sister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

bobbyy gee wrote: »

No my price is 10 camels..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Are we talking Dromedary or Bactrian?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

pgj2015 wrote: »
    my first accountant took the piss with the price he charged, I rang around a few others and found my current one.

I was just wondering do you haggle the price on everything.

If I feel,the,price,is too high ..absolutely. Believe me, I am far from a cheap ass and most certainly not tight with money. The business I have between people I work with, they know me as a good payer and someone who will come back time and time again to them for work, if they are good.

They know I won’t accept a crazy bid price. That is basically built on trust and the fact I do my research on price with any job. I have built a network of people I can rely on, haggling is done on good terms and the trust element that has built up over years.

If I do get a new contractor/professional I will ultimately test them first and foremost to see their skill levels and what their “worth” is. That sounds harsh I know, but I pride myself on delivering good quality with the best people. Ultimately, they know they will have a damned good business relationship with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No my price is 10 camels..
    Who is your sister Margot Robbie?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Who is your sister Margot Robbie?

Out of 10 Camels? I'd give her one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

wally1990 wrote: »

After a few days of knowing the minimum they would accept on certain clothing (I've been told just get out for offering stupid low amounts ) and also figuring out if they genuinely had literally had no interest themselves to sell or work for the sale ,I changed my approach

If I saw a shirt and let's say they wanted 40lira and I knew I wanted to give no more than 12 lira

I would have my wife wait away out of the shop out of sight and I would purposely only have 12 lira on me with a note in my wallet and change making up the 2lira in my back pocket

After browsing and pretending I had no interest for a minute or 2, I would then ask the price of a random shirt nearby (I had no interest ) he would say X ,
    id say no no

I'd ask the price

He would say 40 ,

I'd say 5 as a joke and eventually my wife would come in as an urgency saying come on we are gonna be late for the dinner , let's go

I would offer 10 as my final offer and open my wallet with the 10 showing and nothing else in the wallet, not even a bank card, just a 10 note

he would be annoyed and know I've no other money and then try to say get money off the wife , but she would literally storm out and be pretending to be annoyed with me for being late and she is now gone altogether

I'd put back the item on the rack and joke saying I'm in the dog house now and he knows anyway I am on the way out the door now to chase the angry wife and get to dinner

I've only a 10 on me and flash the stupid note inside the wallet and then start walking out the door step and he would know I'm gone and I'd pull out the 2 lira from the back pocket as if I found something and say look, take the 12 or nothing

I'm on the door edge holding no clothing looking for the wife, moving my head as if that's my focus

I wouldn't have the time or patience to put on a fcuking pantomime show like that.

I wouldn't have the time or patience to put on a fcuking pantomime show like that.

Clothes shopping is bad enough without adding this level of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I buy most things for work on credit and do my haggling after the fact. You're in a much stronger position to knock some money off after the goods have arrived and are in your possession.

There's enough people desperate for business out there that you can just move supplier if they don't like it.

Not sure what line of work you're in but all legitimate businesses operate an agreed purchase order system when operating on a credit basis. So you are either operating outside of legitimate business or you are a member of the British Government.

No. Irish people are not crap more than anyone else.

It's the sellers.
    I'm thinking about country fairs.
    The sheer nastiness in "closing" or "cancelling" deals on the part of the sellers.

Watch the videos on YouTube from 1970s onwards.

You'll hear more cursing and swearing than the seller closing with "DONE by the Spiritual Conference of 1932 in Dublin"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

rapul wrote: »
    Was in Turkey in 05 and 07 I think, but haggling was great craic over there, you were already a millionaire from the exchange rate but you could talk everyone down, just shows you how cheaply made everything was I guess, but definitely was a way life over back then from what I could see

You can never get the better of the Turks. Found out too many times they have a habit of swapping the item when packing it for you.

Not sure what line of work you're in but all legitimate businesses operate an agreed purchase order system when operating on a credit basis. So you are either operating outside of legitimate business or you are a member of the British Government.

I think he might be a bull fertilizer salesman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

wally1990 wrote: »

id say no no

I'd ask the price

He would say 40 ,

A shirt costs 40 lira = 4.46 euro

you offer 12 lira = 1.34 euro

yourself and your wife sound like a pair of scam artists, ye are well met.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

pgj2015 wrote: »
    A shirt costs 40 lira = 4.46 euro

you offer 12 lira = 1.34 euro

yourself and your wife sound like a pair of scam artists, ye are well met.

I've never wanted a shirt badly enough to go to all that trouble.

And if I did want a shirt whose asking price was less than €5, then I'd probably just pay that. I'm neither so badly off nor so mean that the €3 difference here would matter much to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am good at haggling and do it all the time. Some of my family do are terrible. I was buying a camera once in PcWorld/Currys as it was known then and hagled down the price as well as getting extras thrown in. My sisters were amazed. When I bought my first laptop I haggle and got lots of extras thrown in as well as the price reduced but I could see they were delighted to have made the sale as it was a small computer shop not PCWorld or Currys etc. In fact one of them said thanks you just paid for our wages. I love haggling and hate paying full price for anything. I even helped my parents get good prices on the first 3 new cars they bought after that they were grand. In was in Turkey once and at a market and haggled there too on everything.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I knew someone worked in a community centre cafe and certain customers used try and and haggle for extra food or lower prices on an already massively subsidised non profit breakfast

Thats a bit ridiculous. But on breakfasts in general I dont like baked beans or grilled tomatoes so usually try to trade them for an extra sausage or piece of bacon. Have yet to come across a cafe that said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I like a haggle for items that everyone understands are up for a haggle over, ie when buying something second hand online, especially cars. Have been to a few countries where haggling is king and at first it was off putting up began to enjoy it.

Wouldn't bother with haggling in retail in Ireland even for items like a big tv. I just get the best price for the model I want and go with that. I checked out a laptop in Harvey Norman a few years back and after getting the sales pitch from the young fella on the floor, I said I'd buy it if there was a 10% discount on the sticker price. He looked at me like a was speaking Japanese and more or less said there's no discounts, buy it or don't. So I didn't.

I used to be that soldier working in hn, we were given licence to do deals bast on the cost price of the items. I used to enjoy the haggling part, the problem I taught was the customers would generally say, whats your best price, the answer to that is whatever is on the sign, say 599 for arguments sake. It would generally be met with a " I taught we were supposed to haggle", to which I would answer ok then 649. Id do this to test the customer, if they were a di**head I wasnt wasting time with them, if they engaged then great lets have some fun. So the obvious response would generally be thats more than what it says there, id respond with oh I know but I'm haggling. 2 way street, I want to make more money you want to save, lets negotiate. great for building up small talk and getting customer more relaxed (no one wants confrontation). Have a bit of craic and would generally offer a small discount on the hardware but could offer more of a discount on addons, which you would. Of course if some comes and says Give me 10% off that or Im walking, my minimum wage job doesnt pay enough to put up with that kind of ultimatum, so jog on. Im not killing my GP target on someone thats gonna be like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have found the massage parlours in Temple Bar very tough- I have left a few places disappointed when I would not meet the extra price. I thougt they would blink first but no. I'm the one leaving with blue balls. Haggling while lying bollock naked is not the greatest starting point.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Referring to other ethnicities or nationalities with slurs is not permitted.

partyguinness, discussion of moderation on thread is against the charter, I suggest you heed this as I have deleted a post pertaining to it.

Any issues PM me. Back on topic folks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats a bit ridiculous. But on breakfasts in general I dont like baked beans or grilled tomatoes so usually try to trade them for an extra sausage or piece of bacon. Have yet to come across a cafe that said no.

Its done by item there so you can do that. But these aholes wanted 10 items for 8 in what is essentially a charity cafe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Its done by item there so you can do that. But these aholes wanted 10 items for 8 in what is essentially a charity cafe

I actually love people like this, or rather I love laughing at them. Like the saving is so minuscule, and everywhere you go you're in a bad mood because people won't entertain your stingy nonsense and now they dislike you too. People who choose to go through life like that fascinate me.

Advertisement