Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Data on temperature from times in the past.

• 19-06-2020 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

hope this is the right place for this.

If I wanted to find out what the temperature was in a particular place on a particular day (for example, Dublin on February 1st), is there a way I can find that?

I've looked at Met Eireann's Historical Data, but it seems to only cover rainfall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

How about this.

Obviously the data will be for the met station nearest the location you are looking for. And only goes back to 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

cml387 wrote: »
    How about this.

Obviously the data will be for the met station nearest the location you are looking for. And only goes back to 2015.
    Thanks, that'll do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The dark sky app has a time machine feature that lets you go back and see what the weather was like on any date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I find: https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data much better as it allows you to download excel files from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

That isnt much good for the phone though. What's the best one for the phone. I remember in the past when looking before I found a resource on UK Met Office Site and printed pages and pages of data and you could see the months were gradually getting warmer and warmer over the decades except some months like May I think it was.

Is there somewhere I could see records like that for Sligo for the past 100 years. Joanna had a website also on the weather the other day where she spoke about climate change and showed bars of temperatures for past 100 years. When I looked at Ireland there was constant warmer than normal for past 9 years. Of course wasnt 2010 the year I had to drive to work in -18 on country roads on ice every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

pauldry wrote: »
    That isnt much good for the phone though. What's the best one for the phone. I remember in the past when looking before I found a resource on UK Met Office Site and printed pages and pages of data and you could see the months were gradually getting warmer and warmer over the decades except some months like May I think it was.

Is there somewhere I could see records like that for Sligo for the past 100 years. Joanna had a website also on the weather the other day where she spoke about climate change and showed bars of temperatures for past 100 years. When I looked at Ireland there was constant warmer than normal for past 9 years. Of course wasnt 2010 the year I had to drive to work in -18 on country roads on ice every day

I have found this site to have some very good detailed day-by-day station data.

https://www.tutiempo.net/amp-en/climate/ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

Your a genius.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Might not be relevant to your needs osarusan, but depending on the dates, you can find 2 measurements, raw data and adjusted data.
    Historical data is typically adjusted to account for multiple factors, urban heat island as one such example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »

I tried collating Markree monthly mean temperatures from 1850 onwards using data from met.ie but there's a lot of missing data between 1964 and the early 1990s that I left the record up to November 1963 (December 1963's daily max and daily mins are totally incorrect with the data available - reflecting off of the synoptics and other stations - so left that out too).

I did the year and seasonal mean temperatures as well for those applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

The CSO has keyed Met Eireann daily data for Markree Castle for 1869-1940.

• Advertisement
Advertisement