Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a US police officer

12345679»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 189 Verified rep I'm a US police officer, AMA

I've never had it happen to me personally, but it has happened to others. The expectation is the officer would recuse themselves form the call and hand it off to another officer. A supervisor (SGT) would be informed as well, he/she might be curious why the original officer isn't taking the call. (normally it's the first on scene who handles the call, writes the report, etc.). There was a time when cops tried to keep things "in-house", and it may still happen to some extent. For us, it'd be difficult to sweep it under the rug. The 911 calls are all recorded, as are all the computer records of the call. Where I work, there is a strong emphasis on domestic violence with our DA's office, so they do get attention.

I've had the usual excuses for tickets, ones which make me chuckle are (and there has been a few) the "errr, well I was hurrying to drop XXX off (the passenger) before I meet my wife/husband, any way we could just let this one go officer?". :-) The passenger being NOT their wife/husband, but the "bit on the side" :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

Do u miss Ireland?
    Did you play any gaa before you left?
    Can you speak irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Have you ever been approached by criminals to take money for information?

Yeah, I do miss Ireland, it's a great place, I just ended up over here. Life's funny that way, but there ya have it. Never really played GAA. Although I hear there is a booming GAA league over here now. Don't speak any Irish, did it in school in the leaving but thats it.

Naw, never been asked by a crim for info. I do get people asking me to look up someone on the system, especially when I was younger and knew more single people. The standard "hey, I'm seeing this guy/gal, could ya look them up in the system and make sure they're not a crim". Doesn't really happen so much any more, most of my associates are married or in long term relationships and now it's all tracked by my employee number in the computer. So if I did run someone, there is a paper trail.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I’m fairly confident, a Soldier in uniform not carrying an issued weapon while on duty, would be dropped like a hot rock by the military as regards any legal issues incurred in a shooting

To be fair, that question seems to have been addressed after the Chattanooga recruiting center shootings. A Navy O-4 was, contrary to DoD regulation, armed with a concealed personal weapon on duty, shot back and survived. There was quite the debate at the time as to whether the Navy would give him a valor award at the same time as they court-martialed him.

In the end, no charges were filed, and the military started to change its policies on arming folks in duty. He was permitted to continue his tour as commander of the area, rotating out n 2017.

https://www.stripes.com/source-no-charges-against-navy-officer-for-weapons-violations-in-chattanooga-attack-1.361644

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

This has been fascinating, so thank you, but I'm also posting just to hope you're safe considering what's happened in El Paso if you're near.

Thanks, yep, all good here I'm not in El Paso thankfully, another tragedy.

As to the point about the Naval officer who had a personal weapon, I had heard about that in the media. Again, without knowing more than what's publicly available, I'll say this. In my earlier post, I'm speaking from any civil or criminal charges arising from the use of deadly force. In his circumstances, if one of the rounds he fired had hit a civilian or even if the shooter's family decided to litigate (and I don't know if they did or not), then legally, he would in in a tricky place. By all accounts, he was in violation of Navy policies/rules/laws, so would the Navy be obligated to defend him given he wasn't "acting under the color of law" as it were? I submit he was simply lucky and I don't want to get into the specifics of his case as I simply don't know all the facts, I'm speaking to the generality of the concept of carrying a firearm. It's a huge responsibility and, as the saying goes, the shooter owns every bullet which leaves his/her gun.

As police officers, we are agents of our employer, so we are defended by our employer, especially in civil suits. An individual, carrying lawfully under state law, may not have the same employer protections while at the workplace. As stated earlier, I'm not an attorney and this hasd been litigated to a great extent, I just know from personal experience how use of force works out.

Another point of consideration about a civilian carrying a gun, is the likelihood of been mistaken for a "bad guy" by responding officers is also a huge risk. Responding to a reported shooting is chaotic and confusing, especially in a public space. We're getting conflicting, or little to no information, so an officer arriving on scene, when confronted by a person with a gun sees "threat" before there is any thoughts of "oh, is this guy a concealed carry guy?". I routinely, as do most of us, carry off duty, but I carry as a weapon of last resort personal defense if something kicks off.

Chosing to carry a gun is a personal decision, it just goes beyond the simple act of buying and carrying a gun, that's all I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I’ve nothing to add other then thank you I think it’s been a great AMA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Great AMA. Stay safe and enjoy retirement

Gang,

We seem to have hit the end of the questions. I'll suggest we keep this open for a few more days, but if there is no more interest, it'll be time to put this to bed.

Stay safe out there,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/texas-police-chief-apologises-after-mounted-officers-led-handcuffed-black-man-by-rope-38381115.html

Anything to add to this? Seems a bit mental
    In 2019 to think you can do this and no fallout from it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

MrMac84 wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/texas-police-chief-apologises-after-mounted-officers-led-handcuffed-black-man-by-rope-38381115.html

In 2019 to think you can do this and no fallout from it

He was arrested, they took control I don't see the issue, they couldn't put him on the back for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Hiya,

Great insight into your job and what's involved in it.

AGS always had a perception of either knowing someone to get you off a ticket or pull for a promotion.

This has changed and it's a different police force now.

Have you come across nepotism in your role?

If You were offered a position in 'Internal Affairs' would you take it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

xieann wrote: »
    If You were offered a position in 'Internal Affairs' would you take it up?

As an add on to this, whats the general opinion of officers in IA and how theyd be viewed by regular officers.

In 2019 to think you can do this and no fallout from it.

PR fail!!! This was in Galveston, TX (on the TX Gulf coast) from what I recall. Apparently this was/is a Galveston PD routine way for the mounted patrol to move prisioners but the optic is beyond painful, even if it wasn’t a minority. I mounted patrol officer I knew here told me they did this once in the very early days and they were told just get a paddy wagon and do it right. As someone points out on the board, he was compliant & under control and one account says he was a know repeat offender. But still, it may be right but you’ll get hammered in the press as we are seeing. I think it was just a bad idea in the 21st century to lead anyone by a rope with a horse. And I'm willing to bet, they are frantically rewriting their protocols and won't be doing this any more. Dopes!

Great insight into your job and what's involved in it. AGS always had a perception of either knowing someone to get you off a ticket or pull for a promotion. This has changed and it's a different police force now. Have you come across nepotism in your role?

Not to the extent I perceive from AGS. I’ve always heard of the culture of the getting “taken care of”. I think we had that too to one extent or another, especially in times past. A quick call & a ticket got lost or the officer never went to court. Like in AGS, that’s more or less gone now from what I can tell. With the prevalence of computers recording everything even traffic tickets, its hard to makes things “go away” as there is a permanent record which is very difficult to delete. Our promotions are handled by exams and interviews, so again, it’s hard to get around that by just knowing someone. I can’t speak for other agencies, and I’d be willing to bet some of the smaller ones may be more “traditional” shall we say. A mate who used to work for a small university PD told me a few tales of certain staff how had tickets torn up sort of thing, so it does happen. This was a force of 20 officers working directly for the university. Like a lot of these small agencies, they want all the good of having their own cops, but not the other side of the coin that goes with it.

If You were offered a position in 'Internal Affairs' would you take it up? As an add on to this, what’s the general opinion of officers in IA and how they’d be viewed by regular officers.

I wouldn’t be opposed to IA personally, although I sense from talking to them, it’s pretty dull. They investigate every complaint & gripe against us, a lot of which is just petty stuff, people annoyed because they got a ticket or don’t like how we handled a call. The of “I’ll show him, I’m filing a complaint” sort of thing. Our IA also reviews all use of force incidents, again, most of is within the rules. Where I work there isn’t a real issue with them, more of “it’s just an assignment no one really wants” sort of thing. My few interactions with them have been fine, professional, just doing their jobs. It’s a necessary part of policing and has to be done. Talking to officers from other agencies though, it seems to vary from place to place. My NYPD buddy tells me they have more of the old school “IA are rats” mentality which is a shame. When I hear that, I point to some of the scandals and ask “so, tell me why we don’t need IA & defend this guy taking bribes or whatever”, needless to say you get the “well that was different” response, yeah right. Again, there is a perception from the media that over sensationalizes this sort of thing, that every day cops are getting bags of money from the cartels and so on. as with most things, its much more mundane. A TV show about a portly, balding IA detective just watching traffic stop videos, writing reports and doing a few interviews probably wouldn't get past the script writing part. Are there corrupt cops, sure, we're in the people business, I just hope they get caught.

What has changed mostly with all these mass shootings and hits on police, sorry if already answered I can't recall....

If I could do school over again it's a job I would have loved to have done....

Well the mass shootings have certainly changed how we do business in many ways. When the Columbine School shooting the SOP was patrol contained the scene and waited for SWAT. This cost may students their lives sadly. Now we are trained to "stop the killing" by entering and attacking the shooter. The shooting an Dayton, Ohio was a great example. Patrol officers responded and had shot him in something like less than a minute which probably saved lives. Now it's not uncommon for patrol units to carry a rifle of some sort with extra magazines of ammo to counter the active shooter threat and we usually do an annual active shooter drill as part of training. We also all now are required to carry a tourniquet on our belt in the event we take a round.

As cops, we've always been reasonably vigilant due to the higher incident of gun crime in the US, but now we are more vigilant than even before. If I'm writing a report in my car, I'll always try and have another officer parked up beside me or I park in safe spot where I can keep an eye on things around me. At restaurants etc. we always sit with our backs to a wall and where we can see the doors, and we just have a heightened awareness there is a greater threat out there. All in a days work, right?

Thanks for that.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

This has been a fascinating AMA, but we're going to wrap it up here. Thanks to everyone, especially our volunteer, for getting involved! 10-7 :)

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

The US police officer has returned to do another AMA, lots has happened since 2019 so I'm sure you might have some follow up questions for him. You can ask him here.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement