Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local GAA Club looking for fundraising ideas

• 12-06-2019 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello,

My local GAA club which I play for are looking for fundraising ideas.
    So far its a table quiz, but there seems to be loads of them on going
    at the moment now.

Has anyone got anymore ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Hello,

at the moment now.

Lotto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

Last Man Standing Competition.

Facetheball.Com score prediction competition

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RiCriostoir

Last Man Standing Competition.

Facetheball.Com score prediction competition

What do you mean with the Last Man Standing Competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RiCriostoir

Lotto!

With the Lotto do you mean something like split the pot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

What do you mean with the Last Man Standing Competition?

Each entrant pays a fee, usually a 10er. Picks one winning team from a set of weeks fixtures. Pick the winner and youre still in

Draw or loss and your out

Last man standing wins

Club sets a prize to entice people in or keeps a percentage. Would require a fair bit of promoting on Facebook pages or entry sheets in local club.

Can be done In a bar just as easy

https://www.klubfunder.com/Clubs/FeatureGames

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mistermiyagi

With the Lotto do you mean something like split the pot?

I thought (nearly) every amateur gaa soccer club had their own weekly lotto. Typically pick 4 numbers from 28 or so, €1-2 a line. Regular income.

Online raffle for pair of all ireland tickets seems to be poplular lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Each entrant pays a fee, usually a 10er. Picks one winning team from a set of weeks fixtures. Pick the winner and youre still in

Draw or loss and your out

Last man standing wins

Club sets a prize to entice people in or keeps a percentage. Would require a fair bit of promoting on Facebook pages or entry sheets in local club.

Can be done In a bar just as easy

https://www.klubfunder.com/Clubs/FeatureGames

This is one of the best fundraising ideas ive seen, so simple, and there are websites you can sign up to that take the work out of it. Was funny when my local club started it a few years ago, you'd suddenly have die hard GAA old timers asking how did Swansea get on etc? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Smaller fundraisers:

- guess the score competition (€2 per line/ exact score or nearest the score wins the prize)
    - raffle (quality of prizes usually determines the cost - a lot of clubs recently doing €5 per entry for 2 all ireland tickets - can also be sold online)
    - quizzes (table quiz, music quiz etc)
    50/50 (€2 entry - whatever is taken in weekly is split in 2 - half to club and half in prizemoney)
    - last man standing

Larger fundraisers:

- weekly lotto (as described in previous post)
    - monthly draw (becoming more popular - people pay €20 a month 2 prizes of for example €1000 and €100)
    - family fun day (either charge at gate or charge per activity)
    - cash for clobber
    - scratch cards for correct time of first goal scored

Big Fundraisers

- Race Nite
    - Strictly come dancing
    - Who wants to be a thousandaire etc

All of the above is dependant on what help you have to push the fundraiser

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

50/50 Draw, people buy tickets (envelopes and write their name and address on them), one is drawn out at the weekly draw and winner gets 50% of the total take, other 50% goes to the club, very simple to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

our local GAA did a fund raiser and had a charity waxing , players on the (male) team volunteered their chests and people paid €10 to rip it off.
    As the crowd there knew most of the players it really went down well , lots of laughs and money all round.

the hair will grow back, and they can fund raise again !

hth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

All depends on the club size, location and what risk/effort/reward ye are willing to consider.
    Large city club or small country club could have very different needs.
    You could have a once off huge effort that could potentially reap huge rewards, but could also cost the club money
    or a small scale effort that is more of a community event that raises some money and could become a yearly event that adds to the club profile and supplements the existing fundraising.

Examples in the area here where there are quite a few clubs of differing sizes have been.
    Dancing with the stars - big outlay, need very comitted people to raise a lot of money each.
    Bingo or large table quiz - small/medium outlay - need facilities to hold event and enough members to attend.
    Road hurling/ Long puck team format - small outlay, but good organising on the day - teams of 3/4/5 - few different catagories and could be run as a yearly event on a specific weekend/date.

In most cases you are looking to the same people to give you the money, irrespective of what you do. So if they are willing to give you a monthly/yearly standing order for a lotto or fundraising effort(tax relief available) on the understanding that that is all that is required from them, a lot of people are happy to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just remembered, a camogie club nearby did a scrap metal collection day and raised a few k from it. It was something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Our club does a sports prediction quiz at the start of each year that's been fairly successful.

There are maybe 15-20 events picked across a range of different sports. eg Champions league winners, Wimbledon, Snooker world title, most successful jockey at Cheltenham etc.

You're given maybe 6 of the most likely winners for each event. For example in hurling All Ireland it might Tipp, Lim, Cork, KK, Gal, Clare, Wat. If you pick Tipp who might be favourites and they win it, you'd get say 5 points. If you pick Waterford who might be slight outsiders and they win it, you might get say 12 points.

The leaderboard is updated after each event and put on the website and newsletter. I think it was €10 entry and the prizes are around €500, 250 and 100.

It's a good way to keep the interest in it over a few months. And what I found the best was that it was easier to sell it to people who I work with who are not part of our club. If I handed the same people tickets for a fundraising night at the dog track none of them would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,247 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I find lately pub quizzes are very poor with the cheating, my local does it on smart phones it’s a great job no cheating and you get points for being first to tap your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Hello,

at the moment now.

Depends on how much work your club are prepared to put into the fundraising.

As suggested above weekly lotto, our club does that, €2 per line or 3 lines for €5 - pick 4 numbers between 1-30 and start off with maybe €1,000 jackpot prize , increase jackpot each week by set amount, so €100, €250 or what ever you see fit, if no jackpot winner pick out 5 names randomly to win €20 each and then give a sellers prize of €10 per week.

Towards the end of last year our club held the Oscars ( ran by Kevin Rowe Events) as far as i know he is the only event company that does it, it does take quite a lot of work and effort but is great for raising funds.

Other suggestions - white collar boxing, lip sync battle night .

Hold a sports day and charge entry fee - have football matches like Married V singles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

A local club had a lord mayor this year it raised over 16,000-00 clear, there was three contestants it was run off between the May bank holiday wend finished up the june bank holiday . The three contestants were attached to a pub ,they ran events like a tractor, lorry run breakfast with one of the contestant @ ten euro a head different other ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SPUser

Hi,

We completed a unique fundraiser here in Stabannon Parnells.GFC.  In conjunction with a company called Cromogal we created our own Club sticker album.  Cromogal produce & distribute albums and no money taken from club until sticker packs are sold.

Benefits:

No upfront cost to club

Unites Club & community together

Sponsorship money retained by Club

Involves Junveniles in a fun fundraising event

Piece of memorabilia for the Club

If you wish to find out more information on this innovative fundraiser for your club please reply to here

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bauney

Most are already said above but the following are 2 ideas that cost nothing to perform (Barr a few volunteers), will generate a hundred quid and local people will be delighted to contribute to/avail of
    1) scrap metal collection
    2) clothes collection
    3) car wash at local pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭giveitholly

SPUser wrote: »
    Hi,

We completed a unique fundraiser here in Stabannon Parnells.GFC.  In conjunction with a company called Cromogal we created our own Club sticker album.  Cromogal produce & distribute albums and no money taken from club until sticker packs are sold.

Benefits:

No upfront cost to club

Unites Club & community together

Sponsorship money retained by Club

Involves Junveniles in a fun fundraising event

Piece of memorabilia for the Club

If you wish to find out more information on this innovative fundraiser for your club please reply to here

Did this fundraiser raise much money for the club?

Did this fundraiser raise much money for the club?

Yes we raised €20,000. All sponsorship sold within the sticker ablum is retained by the club and we also get a % of sticker pack sales.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

SPUser wrote: »
    Yes we raised €20,000. All sponsorship sold within the sticker ablum is retained by the club and we also get a % of sticker pack sales.
    Thanks

So most of the money is raised form the sponsorship in the album?

Could you send me on some more info if you have it please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

salmocab wrote: »
    I find lately pub quizzes are very poor with the cheating, my local does it on smart phones it’s a great job no cheating and you get points for being first to tap your answer.

What app do they use?

Hi,

Basically Cromogal assist the Club to create a sticker album, showcasing as many teams within the club. Cromogal provide a photographer to take photos of all member who wish to be in the Sticker album, we even included team photos. Cromogal work with the club to create a sticker album of teams & players. They printed and distributed the albums along with the sticker packs to the club. We sold packs of 6 stickers for EUR1 over an 8 week period. We had a deadline of 4 weeks for our members to complete a full sticker album and if they did they received an A3 poster of their sticker.

Cromogal do all this work for free & don't take money off the club until sticker packs are sold. Cromogal get the majority of sticker sale monies (this is how they make their money).

Within the album there are spaces to sell sponsorship. This is where the club make most of their money. Local companies place sponsorship ads within the sticker album. The younger club members got a real buzz collecting stickers of their friends and themselves and it was also a great way to get the younger members to know the older members. The album is also a snapshot of our members in the 2019 season.

Hope this explains the concept in more detail.

Thanks

Advertisement