Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

And ive just found the thread again, as others have said accessing from mobile is basically a non runner on the touch site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a pain alright C. There are some nice new features, but too many truly useful features of the old are reduced in utility or entirely missing. Unless they're fixed it doesn't bode well.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fully agree on the site Cyrus. It's a disaster that seems to built upon self congratulations and everyone else being wrong.

I have gotten to grips with it mostly on mobile now. There are things I like, the ability to easily add photos, emoji's are probaby prime amongst those but, there is so much that's awful, losing selective and multi quoting are probably foremost amongst those. Along with so much more that's just awful implementation and design.

I was luckier than most in that thanks to chrome flags I've not been afflicted with the abomination of the white site yet 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Oooh - just got a watch that even I wouldn't take swimming (or washing hands) - look forward to showing it to the people here once it arrives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Popped up on my Facebook, Bill Murray rockin two watches at Canes this week

Timex and Cartier!

• Advertisement

Seems like he's wearing two shirts too 😁

I hate how much quieter this part of boards has gotten lost migration. It's understandable but it does highlight just how much the changes have impacted

Now on to my musing for the day. I know they are a mid tier brand with plenty out there with more appeal and gravitas but...

Maurice Lacroix? A couple of their models are really after jumping out at me over the past few weeks and I'm wondering what the consensus on them is? Obviously any purchase will be 2nd hand as they seem to lose value like a lada 😂

Their masterpiece range has some standout pieces IMO.

This in particular has caught my eye

And there is something about their aikon gmt I find attractive too and when they hit the secondary market another 1 that will likely take a marked dip.

The masterpiece line tho, seem to be quite high spec pieces with some unusual complications and implementations.

What are the thoughts here? Obviously lunacy at retail and 2nd hand probably one that would be a long time moving on too when the time comes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you think this forum is quiet B... Some are dead in the water. And I 100% can see why too. Just to keep basic track and I do mean basic I need six tabs open. A discussion site that is painfully difficult to navigate to discuss. It's a bloody shame and shambles. 😐️

I've seen these higher end Maurice Lacroix. Like you say some very nice pieces in the mix and yep second hand would be a given. I don't see why not myself. OK they don't have the "Name" which is a huge part of the market and muy importante for a majority too. It would be interesting to see how many are available second hand. If a lot then they would seem to be flippertastic and people don't fall for them, if very few it could mean they keep their appeal, or so few are sold in the first place. I reckon these are a have to see and feel before you buy watch. No way would I buy one online.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The immediacy of the chat, banter and just flow is totally destroyed.

Just look at the Liverpool thread, probably the most consistently busy thread on the forum and it's fallen off a cliff.

I'm in a private group here too (not watch related 😉) and it was an incredibly tight group that would often have multiple 10s of posts a day.

It's dead, we've moved to discord rather than rely on boards and the downtime last night albeit planned and announced was really the confirmation that the move away is one that suits that group.

I'd hate to modding multiple forums here tbh, the benefits that the office are touting?

Are just alienating users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I just cant get around this new boards. I cant tell if a thread has been updated since I last was online, all my previous threads are lost. Wibbs I cant imagine how hard it is to try mod around the place and keep track. I find that I am just not checking all that much during the day. Usually I would check 10 times a day what but just too much like hard work now.....whats the general trend out there in wider boards land...is it dying?

Banie....move away from the Maurice Lacroix, dont let that stuff tempt you, its unworthy of your attentions.

• Advertisement

I'm really scratching my head here with the new site😮😮. Yes it needed to be more stable and there are good things like the embedding pics being much easier; autosave of posts, WYSIWYG editing etc, but by Christ it fails on the first hurdle of being able to find stuff to talk about. Y'know the very thing we need in a bloody discussion site. The search was always a bit flaky, but at least you could find stuff, now it's essentially useless, the simple dropdown of My Forums of before will now be nested under the BOARDS.IE logo and will require extra clicks to get to and then seems to show all threads that have been updated, rather than the much simpler setup before.

I really dunno Fitz. Those of us oldtimers have seen a few changes down the years and there was always some grumbling and pushback, inc from yours truly, but for the most part that passed and it didn't affect the userbase too much if at all(though the category rearrangement I suspect put a few off), but many of them were when the site had far more numbers and alternatives were scant. Now who knows how it will pan out ultimately, but at the moment? It's not looking good in my opinion. 😔

Post edited by Wibbs on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I would usually have a quick check into Boards a few times a day through my phone but it’s just not feasible now with the new layout . Surely the owners / managers of boards can see how badly this has been messed up ?

+1 Whatever about the desktop site I find the mobile site pretty much unusable at the moment and IIRC the stats from a while back more people were on mobile than desktop viewing the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

yup, I’m done for the short term. Vote with your feet. Or fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah I wish I could find my ‘following’ threads. When I select on the phone nothing comes up. Have an itch to buy something but it’s out of boredom rather than anything else. I bought a omega box and Speedmaster booklet to go with my speedmaster. Figure I’ll keeping it as this stage. Ill get it serviced in next few months. Do people regard a service record as good as ‘cards? I see some full set Speedmaster’s going north of 4K now which shocks me a little

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

So when you click your profile picture and then the star from the menu that drops down, there are no threads showing up?

@Fitz II you're right, I know! I need to learn patience I think. Had a similar moment recently where I almost bought a longines VHP just to convince myself it was almost a Grand Seiko GMT 😉 Luckily in that instance @893bet set me straight.

I'm still not allowed buy at the moment anyway as I'm doped to the gills 😂 but I have a nerve ablation session in for tmrw that will hopefully allow me to dial down the meds and improve my decision making.

I don't actually have any plan for what I want next either, and I'm a bit too impulsive at the moment aswell so even looking is dangerous tbh.

Also, and this is what my addled brain actually come on to post when I wrote the above ^^

€320k for a Stainless Steel sports watch😮😮 one that if ever it was actually really available at retail is €31k and is a current model.

Lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Another one here for the 'this site has gone to sh!t and I can't be bothered most times' which is a damn pity. Hope all well considering.

Allegedly it was bought back by Patek.

Seller to be black listed and the AD to get a minimum knuckle rap or more.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I was looking for some fairly obscure straight end links for an Omega bracelet. I found some NOS items online for a hefty price tag.

Then, a quick check with Cousins found them available, brand new for less. So much so, that even with postage, the new ones are cheaper.

Always worth a check before going down the supposed NOS route.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just to echo what everyone was saying about the new site, it's just terrible. Any time I think of checking boards I remember the new site and just don't bother. It won't kill boards but will definitely kill a few sections of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

What were they thinking?

I'll try posting a pic in the pic thread, see if that is less effort than it used to be.

I had a parcel arrive from Japan just before I left for a holiday, I'll do pics of that when I get home, if there is anyone left on the forum by then.

TF, any previews on the Equinox?

Just finished 3am feeding (my son not myself 😁) - not quite yet. We got the first render of the rotor in terms of shape but colour and edging isn't represented correctly yet and so I want to show off what we have as accurately as possible.

Put it this way - showing the rotor in emerald green vs ruby red (as it currently is rendered) should make quite an initial impression difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

An ad for a Seamaster co axial worldtimer popped up on my Instagram yesterday. What a beauty!

https://www.lunns.com/watches/For-Him/Omega/Families/7500/0515210049?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsqiam4f58QIVL4BQBh2PaAurEAQYAyABEgLap_D_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Try to get my head around the new Boards format here.

In the meantime, does anybody want to guess what the bold Pascal is wearing? (I know as I've seen it on him, and it's a fairly predictable choice, I'd say.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Rolex Explorer?

Tales of the end of discounting at Omega may be exaggerated.

here is a new model speedmaster at purchased at 20 percent off.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?498014-FS-new-style-Speedmaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Even at 20% discount, that's still over €5k. For a speedie. That's a lot of money.

Advertisement