Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-02-2019, 23:20   #211
milltown

Following this thread with interest. Looking at changing energy providers and interested in getting more into IoT sort of gadgets. I currently have a bum-basic home gas central heating setup. Mechanical timer on the wall under the boiler and TRVs on the rads.

What's involved in a Nest install usually? The stat can go anywhere I presume. I don't know if my current CH setup is zoned upstairs/downstairs or if the CH can be separate from the HW. How many Nest controlled valves are part of a standard install?
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 00:29   #212
spongerobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi02 View Post
Just got my 2 nests installed today. I originally had 2 different install dates as I ordered separately to get them both at €130. I was in contact with the installer before he came and he checked with head office and it was ok to install both today.

So far delighted with them but its gonna take a bit of getting used to to find the right location in the house for them and the right temperatures for us. I was disappointed that they couldn't replace the thermostats we already have on the walls so they're still in place but as a previous poster said they have to be turned up to max for the nest to work. Both nests came with stands and google minis. Installer said the stand isnt meant to be included but they all fit them now as they used to end up going back to alot of jobs with them as ppl had no where to hang the nest on the wall. There is also manual buttons installed where my previous clock was so if for any reason the nest stops working we can use them until its fixed. He also took my MPRN number for both nests so not sure would non electic ireland customers get caught out here.

Hope this info helps ppl...any questions?
Hi,

I'm curious as to what level of control you have? You're two thermostats need to be left on - where are your Nests installed? Your heating system sounds similar to mine - thermostat upstairs and downstairs, and hot water all the time?
09-02-2019, 11:27   #213
audi02

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongerobinson View Post
Hi,

I'm curious as to what level of control you have? You're two thermostats need to be left on - where are your Nests installed? Your heating system sounds similar to mine - thermostat upstairs and downstairs, and hot water all the time?
So the 2 nest thermostats are plugged in wherever I want, 1 downstairs and 1 upstairs. I can control both of these from the unit itself or from the app. You can also use the google mini or in my case I have alexa already set up so I can ask her to set the downstairs heat to "x" temperate etc.

Then where my previous unit, there is now 2 heatlinks, where I can manually turn on/off the heat. One for upstairs one for downstairs. There is just one button on it, on and off thats it. Im not sure if the hot water heats when we manually turn on downstairs I forgot to ask that.

On the app you can schedule times for your heating and water or you can boost the water also.

Hope this answers your question?
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 17:52   #214
spongerobinson

Quote:
So the 2 nest thermostats are plugged in wherever I want, 1 downstairs and 1 upstairs. I can control both of these from the unit itself or from the app. You can also use the google mini or in my case I have alexa already set up so I can ask her to set the downstairs heat to "x" temperate etc.

Then where my previous unit, there is now 2 heatlinks, where I can manually turn on/off the heat. One for upstairs one for downstairs. There is just one button on it, on and off thats it. Im not sure if the hot water heats when we manually turn on downstairs I forgot to ask that.

On the app you can schedule times for your heating and water or you can boost the water also.

Hope this answers your question?
Thanks for the reply. I've a feeling I don't have enough wires coming from my boiler to the zone valves in order for two nests to work properly. There are spare wires at the boiler, but not visible in the hot press. I'll have to have a good look and see are they visible somewhere where all the pipe work and cables come in.
09-02-2019, 18:02   #215
audi02

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongerobinson View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've a feeling I don't have enough wires coming from my boiler to the zone valves in order for two nests to work properly. There are spare wires at the boiler, but not visible in the hot press. I'll have to have a good look and see are they visible somewhere where all the pipe work and cables come in.
Sorry I wouldnt have a clue about the wiring. Our clock had 3 zones on it, downstairs, upstairs and hot water and he took that down and replaced it with the nest stuff
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 14:13   #216
audi02

Few ppl have asked what clock I had...see pics attached of my old clock and thermostats and the nest heatlinks that replaced my old clock

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190210_140828.jpg (3.37 MB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg 20190210_140857.jpg (3.39 MB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg 20190210_140804.jpg (3.04 MB, 329 views)
10-02-2019, 14:33   #217
ted1

Quote:
Few ppl have asked what clock I had...see pics attached of my old clock and thermostats and the nest heatlinks that replaced my old clock

Hope this helps
That looks very untidy. He should have bought the cables behind the plaster
Thanks from:
10-02-2019, 14:40   #218
audi02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
That looks very untidy. He should have bought the cables behind the plaster
Im very happy with it
10-02-2019, 14:45   #219
ted1

Quote:
Im very happy with it
I’m just pedantic, especially when it comes to professionals taking short cuts

I also believe it’s againest code to leave trailing wires exposed

Last edited by ted1; 10-02-2019 at 14:48.
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 19:20   #220
spongerobinson

Quote:
Sorry I wouldnt have a clue about the wiring. Our clock had 3 zones on it, downstairs, upstairs and hot water and he took that down and replaced it with the nest stuff
Yeah my clock only has 1 zone on it, so this is where the problem lies.
10-02-2019, 22:05   #221
byte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
I’m just pedantic, especially when it comes to professionals taking short cuts

I also believe it’s againest code to leave trailing wires exposed
Mine was done in a similar way, but with a switched and fused wallplate with the cable coming out a hole at the bottom left of it... I'm not overly bothered though and happy that at least I have a switch to unpower it handily.
11-02-2019, 16:23   #222
daithi7

Does anyone know if any of these remote heating control systems (nest, climote, other) can work effectively with a 5 zone system (4 heating & water)?

I don't want multiple systems just one integrated one (even if it just did the 4 heating zones say). Surely, this is a pretty standard requirement of these systems!?
11-02-2019, 16:28   #223
spongerobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by daithi7 View Post
Does anyone know if any of these remote heating control systems (nest, climote, other) can work effectively with a 5 zone system (4 heating & water)?

I don't want multiple systems just one integrated one (even if it just did the 4 heating zones say). Surely, this is a pretty standard requirement of these systems!?
I wouldn't think it would be that standard of a requirement...5 zones would be a pretty advanced heating system. I'd assume you could do it with 4 seperate nests, assuming each zone has a seperate motorized valve and wiring is in place for them all.

Somebody who is more of an expert might be able to answer for definite.
12-02-2019, 00:21   #224
autumnalcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daithi7 View Post

heatmiser + hub, honeywell evohome etc.

If your technically competent then for future proofing you should consider smartthings you could use all sort of sensors, thermostats etc.
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 14:45   #225
asharkman

Quote:
Just got my 2 nests installed today. I originally had 2 different install dates as I ordered separately to get them both at €130. I was in contact with the installer before he came and he checked with head office and it was ok to install both today.

So far delighted with them but its gonna take a bit of getting used to to find the right location in the house for them and the right temperatures for us. I was disappointed that they couldn't replace the thermostats we already have on the walls so they're still in place but as a previous poster said they have to be turned up to max for the nest to work. Both nests came with stands and google minis. Installer said the stand isnt meant to be included but they all fit them now as they used to end up going back to alot of jobs with them as ppl had no where to hang the nest on the wall. There is also manual buttons installed where my previous clock was so if for any reason the nest stops working we can use them until its fixed. He also took my MPRN number for both nests so not sure would non electic ireland customers get caught out here.

Hope this info helps ppl...any questions?
I was hoping someone else could order two.

Did you put different contacts in or slightly different addresses? My second order didn't go through because someone spotted that it was going to the same address.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion