Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do many men do Pilates and is it a good option?

• 21-10-2018 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Probably could do with a change from weights/resistance training with arms and legs and work on core, would Pilates be a good option? Do men attend classes for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kenz

Hi - I've never attended a Pilates class, but before I took up Yoga, I was thinking about it... I'd recommend just giving it a go and seeing how it suits you or not. They all use your bodies natural weight, and I find that this is a better way, that gyms and weights... (did my fair share in the past).

Neither Pilates or Yoga are for just women, although you may find more women in these types of classes. In Yoga, sometimes I'm one of maybe only two or three men in a room of women... other times, I'm the only one, and other times, depending where I go - the class have a good mix.

Anyways - They're all fun... so remember to relax and Enjoy ;O)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stphgry

Pilates was invented by a man - Joseph Pilates so it's just as beneficial for men as women. It's a workout and helps to build a balance in the body of strength and flexibility in the body through awareness and conscious movement. It can be a great addition to a well rounded fitness program. I run a Pilates studio and we have a mixture of men and women who come to classes and who do one to one sessions - some to help with prior injury, some to cross train for a chosen sport, some to help with postural issues and some just cause it feels great. Many people are familiar with the body weight training side of Pilates, but the full method also includes Reformer, Cadillac, Chair and Barrels. Am happy to answer any other questions you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

@Kenz,

I'm um'ing and awh'ing about of taking up yoga, but I didn't bank on it being fun.
    I was just hoping its level of suffering and tediousness would be lower than I expected, but, fun? Would never have thought it.

i.e. that Down Dog? Unless you mean discovering new patterns on the floor. Maybe that's interesting, not quite fun though. How can it be fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

It's not suffering or tedious. It's like any sport or exercise, you challenge yourself and feel better afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 omsingh

Pilates is great for strengthening and toning with a focus your core and for increasing your flexibility. Since it is not designed to be an aerobic activity, don't forget your cardio! It also won't fit your needs if you are looking for an aerobic workout. Pilates can be very demanding, so start slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Probably could do with a change from weights/resistance training with arms and legs and work on core, would Pilates be a good option? Do men attend classes for it?

Not many men attend classes for it I'll be honest but some do. I would suggest maybe you bring a mate if you feel it will make it more fun.

Someone should start a pilates facebook group or meet up for men in Dublin.

Pilates is wonderful for your core and for your back. Particularly if you are sitting at a computer all day.

It also helps posture.

It helps strength and flexibility of the hips and hip flexors.

You will see a huge difference in your body if you do one class a week for maybe 10 weeks.

But honestly you will feel amazing if you do it once or thrice a week. Particularly in the shoulders and back.

You need to find a good teacher though to make the movements work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I know a good few who do it and have done it myself. Best ones I've done those with a physio for strengthening up the core. Worked great for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have done it before. Bit of advice; don't do any gym before the class, as you'll regret it otherwise (I did :D).

Found it to be quite good. It attracts lots of hot women, which is always a plus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

beauf wrote: »
    I know a good few who do it and have done it myself. Best ones I've done those with a physio for strengthening up the core. Worked great for me.

Not many physios appear to want to learn it or to teach it sadly. Very few seem to do it.

There is a lady in Ballsbridge called Tara Early Fallon....a place called oscailt ...i THINK she is a physio not sure tho :)

Also Sinead Watt in platinum pilates. She is a physio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

There is a class in Kilbeggan and its always full of men

• Advertisement
Advertisement