Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Al Porter is absolutely terrible.

I am genuinely shocked anyone would g to see a gig of his never mind paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'v never found low brow comedy funny, the jokes are often way too obvious and poorly delivered.

High brow humour can be equally as annoying though. What is it about sneering sarcastic material that makes some people think that it requires a higher level of intellect to perform it? Or that it's of higher quality. For me it's equally as obvious.

Stewart Lee is the perfect example of that. Went to see him once and he had a 20 minute routine about George Bush being an idiot but it was all based on something Bush had never actually said but Lee delivered it in his usual dean pan, mocking, snide and sarcastic fashion and so the audience, given that's what they came for, lapped it up.

I can't help thinking that the that prat funny are the type of people that would find him funny are the same type of people that would be in hysterics if they seen someone get corrected for a grammatical error. An intellectual and cultural bully is what I would sum him up as.

Not that sarcasm or satire based material is inherently smug, I don't think it is. Graham Linehan and Chris Morris are geniuses that shone in that sense but they don't have that arsehole smug factor that Lee excels in. Condemn him, or his "jokes" and then his fans will pompously suggest that perhaps one did not get the jokes. Course there can be poor low brow humour also. Bredan O'Carroll a prime example.

Overall I just hate snobbishness I suppose. Many would consider Frank Carson low-brow but he is without question one of the best comedians I ever seen perform and Dara O'Brien one of the worst. The style of comedy is probably not deciding factor on that though. More to do with talent and the lack of it and one being a twat and the other not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Stewart Lee is the perfect example of that. Went to see him once and he had a 20 minute routine about George Bush being an idiot but it was all based on something Bush had never actually said but Lee delivered it in his usual dean pan, mocking, snide and sarcastic fashion and so the audience, given that's what they came for, lapped it up.

I can't help thinking that the that prat funny are the type of people that would find him funny are the same type of people that would be in hysterics if they seen someone get corrected for a grammatical error. An intellectual and cultural bully is what I would sum him up as.

Not that sarcasm or satire based material is inherently smug, I don't think it is. Graham Linehan and Chris Morris are geniuses that shone in that sense but they don't have that arsehole smug factor that Lee excels in. Condemn him, or his "jokes" and then his fans will pompously suggest that perhaps one did not get the jokes. Course there can be poor low brow humour also. Bredan O'Carroll a prime example.

Stewart Lee is a genius!!! You just don't get his jokes ........ that's not how you spell Brendan by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I'v never found a female stand up i enjoyed, women can be funny in conversation but i'v never found any good at stand up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

I have never laughed at anything Dara O'Briain has said. His smug (usually sarcastic) delivery, as he smacks his lips, laughs and says 'And eh..' drives me nuts.

How he so popular I'll never know.
    That got me wondering though if the "comedians" who do more TV quiz shows and that are actually all crap. I can't stand Carr or O'Briain. It's all right-on twittering about hemp bras for lactating orphan dolphins or some ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

jokes they wrote several days in advance whilst simultaneously letting on it's on the spot.

This is just how comedy works. Improv exists if you'd prefer that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Tommy Tiernan used to be funny until he started trying to imitate the likes of Jimmy Carr & Frankie Boyle.

Apart from the bit in bold, you're spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I always get Jason and Ed Byrne mixed up. I had to Google to see which one Jason is. He is indeed the unfunnier of the two.

He was on Dictionary Corner on Countdown years ago, when Richard Whitely was still alive. It was the worst week in the programmes history up to that point. The Countdown audience aren't exactly known for being a tough crowd but they barely laughed at anything he said and you could tell Richard Whitely was getting really pissed off listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭mosstin

Comedy perhaps the most divisive genre of all, few people have mentioned Dara O'Brian, personally find him very funny it's a mystery to me how the likes of Andrew Maxwell, Jason Byrne, PJ Gallagher and Neil Delamare have careers as comedians but i guess they appeal to some people. I'v never found low brow comedy funny, the jokes are often way too obvious and poorly delivered. I also don't like comedians who focus on one aspect, Al Porter for example seems unable to make a joke that isn't about him being gay or from a working class area branch out a bit with your jokes.

Says Dick Phelan. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Apart from Andrew Maxwell, Dave McSavage, Dylan Moran, and at a stretch David O'Doherty, all of them.

Actually remember seeing an Ed Byrne special that was ****in hilarious years ago. Also to be fair Jason Byrne can also be funny as ****.

Jesus, McSavage is awful, and has a serious ego/attitude problem to boot. Also dislike, Brendan O'Carroll, Pat Short, Jason Byrne.

Dara OBriain I do find funny, Dylan Moran has his moments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Tommy Tiernan & Brendan Grace :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Personally I like Tiernan in general, though I didn't enjoy his mick taking of Down's syndrome (Though I get it was to be inclusive I think he lost a lot of people with that), and his 'breaking America' shows just weren't much use either. Controversial I know but I think Mrs. Brown is fantastic entertainment. Have watched it with my mum several times and the tears of laughter in her eyes gives him my vote.

I tend to agree with the unfunny comedienne rule of thumn, but then there's the late Caroline Ahern as the exceptional to disprove the rule. Her commentary on Gogglebox, The Royle Family, and What first attracted you to (the also late) millionaire Paul Daniels?' Mrs. Merton beats the pants off many an established male comedians career.

Unrivaled unfunny man is Jason Byrne. From his earliest break as a member of the audience in the Late Late Show he has always been fully ****e.

Pat Shortt and his Killinaskully. Fair City is funnier.

I don't think Irish comedians are in anyway less funny than their international rivals. The dog**** pumped out by Leno or Letterman that americans laughed at? Russel Howard and Alan Carr condemn the English. Aussies best is Adam Hill? And foreigners, how can you tell really?! But in general it seems to be more slapstick childish material.

So just who are unfunny Irish comedians unfunnier than? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Saw Andrew Maxwell mentioned. Saw him at a comedy festival where he came out pissed and was embarrassing. Utterly rubbish.

At the same weekend I saw Neil Delamere who I didn't rate but enjoyed. Jason Byrne was there and his usual rubbish self

Have to say I enjoy Ed Byrne after initially not liking him and I've always got time for Dara O Brien.

Me and the misses are big stand up fans and there is definitely some decent acts doing the rounds. But as mentioned in the thread seems RTE 2 is deemed the standard and there is boody awful comics on there

Plenty of good talent doing the gig circuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Jason Byrne
    Maxwell
    Porter
    Ed Byrne
    Tommy T.

They're all awful. Why does anyone pay to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Bridget & Eamon is terrible but I like Jen and Bernard on the radio. I think PJ Gallaghers stand-up is very good. I saw one of his live shows and thought he was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Defintely Jason Byrne, he has being doing his "arent I mad" schtick for well over a decade now, Id prefer pull my own teeth out than listen to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I always get the impression that Dara O'Briain exaggerates his accent and reminds his audience every 5 minutes that 'he's Oirrrrish', as if just being from somewhere makes you funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Jason Byrne is worst of all. Intolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

As all posted I think they are crap esp tommy Tiernan. .. I seen Joe looney yrs ago I thought he was a great laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

dd972 wrote: »
    I always get the impression that Dara O'Briain exaggerates his accent and reminds his audience every 5 minutes that 'he's Oirrrrish', as if just being from somewhere makes you funny.
    I like Dara Ó'Briain actually. Much prefer his comedic style to the usual "fire off 1001 unrelated one-liners" comedians.

He's also decent at "improv" when he interacts with the audience. Now it's probably "rehearsed improvisation" in that he has a number of stock replies for the most common audience professions and hobbies - but he's still good at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

jason byrne is the worst comedian i have ever seen. He tries so hard to be funny its cringy. Actually every comedian on RTE, or who has been on RTE is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'd plus one for Maeve Higgins. I've seen her twice as she was the warm up for both Rob Delaney and Reggie Watts a few years back.

The gig for Reggie Watts at the Vodafone comedy festival in the Iveagh gardens was a bit of a washout (low numbers) as a few of these festival can be. The minimal crowd was dead from the get-go. Maeve came on and was her "hilarious" kooky cork self and absolutely nothing hit making the crowd even flatter. Everybody (bar a women up front who was dying laughing - I think out of pity) couldn't care less.

At one stage a guy adjacent to me looked at me. Knowing our shared distain piped up with four word review "This is f*cking painful".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Jason Byrne has different modes though. There is the crazy, absurdist style he is most well known for.
    He can also do more traditional stand up.
    I've seen him do long sets of structured jokes one after the next. And of a pretty high standard.

I also saw him once get on stage in the international and not really say anything for fifteen minutes.
    But moved a rubber duck around the stage - occasionally making strange noises (him not the duck) to an audience that
    resigned itself pretty quickly that this (the gag, not the duck) wasn't going anywhere. (and it didn't)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Noveight wrote: »
    Jason Byrne is worst of all. Intolerable.

I think he is more suited to the TV roles that he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Alison Spittle, she's not even a comedian...I dunno what the **** she is trying to be

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

dd972 wrote: »
    as if just being from somewhere makes you funny.

I'm afraid it does to the British.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

siblers wrote: »
    Alison Spittle, she's not even a comedian...I dunno what the **** she is trying to be

Last time I saw her I think she was trying to be an ornamental flowering garden plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Al Porter. RTE's latest sugar spice and everything nice liberal test tube 'comedian'.

What is it with people who are desperately UNFUNNY making lucrative careers in comedy in Ireland?. As far as I'm concerned the list here is endless from comedians who incessantly laugh at their own rambling barely coherent unfunny stories (Tommy Tiernan) to those that have humour for 2 year olds (Jason Byrne) to those that see themselves as edgy and sharp whilst simultaneously sucking on the teets of crap RTE shows (think anyone who's ever been on Republic of Telly) or worse the god awful Des Bishop. Incessantly speaking condescendingly about Irish people only for them to lap it up and think he's profound and funny for speaking about Ireland with contempt as if we were backwater primitive slobs.

It seems crap Irish comedians are 10 a penny now. All being 'edgy' sometimes getting up on their pedestal and preaching after being funny perhaps once (think Rubberbandits). It seems comedians are abundant but bereft of talent here. I suppose what I'm getting at is it has been so dumbed down comedy, these chancers know they don't need wit, or timing, or impeccable delivery or even to be funny. Just to get on some RTE show is good enough and then read out rubbish topical jokes they wrote several days in advance whilst simultaneously letting on it's on the spot.

Before anyone says I don't have a sense of humour I love comedy. Comedians I like well George Carlin is one of the greats, nowadays, Steve Hughes is amazing, Rich Hall is great, Greg Morton always cracks me up, Stewart Lee's dry humour is impeccably timed and Romesh Ranganathan is worth a mention.

Can I think of a single Irish comedian now who can lace their boots?. Nope, won't stop them getting a crap intelligence insulting comedy (Bridget and Eamon/Damo and Ivor etc) or guest spot on some awful panel show with scripted jokes and toilet humour.

Christ we gave the World Oscar Wilde for God's sake!.

We have some excellent talent in Ireland. David McSavage and Foil, Arms and Hog for starters are fantastic. Ive seen both and the former twice. I intend on seeing the latters new show after seeing Skiddlywup in Carlow
    I love the Vipers videos on youtube and Bernard Casey does some excellent sketches.

Bridget and Eamon had brilliant 5 min sketches on ROT but then the suits got their claws in when they got a full show.

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Jesus, McSavage is awful, and has a serious ego/attitude problem to boot. Also dislike, Brendan O'Carroll, Pat Short, Jason Byrne.

Dara OBriain I do find funny, Dylan Moran has his moments.

A desperate w@nker altogether but i kinda like that to be honest. he is anti establishment and very non pc.

Ive seen him in Kilkenny 2 year ago and Thurles last month and he had the crowd in stitches. And i love the fact he brings the spotlight and a bit of embarrassment on his family who are the Andrews political dynasty (cousin Ryan turbridy)

Advertisement