Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Quackster wrote: »
    Well we could have an extra month of summer time and be in sync with North America if summer time was from the first Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November.

I'd be happy enough with that

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Makes no difference whether the lights are on an extra hour in the morning or evening.

I don't think that's true. I would like to see a study on it
    I would guess that the people that get up in the morning and need power will still do it , those that don't get up are still in bed and wont use it either way. lights in jobs are on either way

its in the evening that the saving will be made. 1 hour extra will reduce heating bills and lights on etc and other things dues to people be outside more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So to save me trawling through this entire thread, here's my question (which may already have been answered)?

Last night four of our radio controlled (analogue) wall clocks changed themselves thanks to the radio beacon situated in Anthorne/Cumbria.

This "atomic" beacon sends out a pulse which is received by millions of clocks & watches in Britain & Ireland, from church clock towers, shop facia clocks, hotels, schools, to all sorts of timepieces that rely on this signal.

So what happens if Europe go ahead with the directive and we agree to follow suit? All our clocks that receive the Anthorne signal will be wrong won't they?

So to save me trawling through this entire thread, here's my question (which may already have been answered)?

Last night four of our radio controlled (analogue) wall clocks changed themselves thanks to the radio beacon situated in Anthorne/Cumbria.

This "atomic" beacon sends out a pulse which is received by millions of clocks & watches in Britain & Ireland, from church clock towers, shop facia clocks, hotels, schools, to all sorts of timepieces that rely on this signal.

So what happens if Europe go ahead with the directive and we agree to follow suit? All our clocks that receive the Anthorne signal will be wrong won't they?
    Depends on the setting of the clock, if they're set to GMT/BST then they will follow the UK timezone, if set to another timezone then I believe that the time signals also factor this in and send the correct time offset for each zone within range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

recyclebin wrote: »
    Is the EU still going ahead with abolishing DST? What's the latest on this?

It will never see the light of day again.covid legacy will be long enduring.

• Advertisement

ruwithme wrote: »
    It will never see the light of day again.covid legacy will be long enduring.

What does that mean?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Depends on the setting of the clock, if they're set to GMT/BST then they will follow the UK timezone, if set to another timezone then I believe that the time signals also factor this in and send the correct time offset for each zone within range.

Yeah, it's the mechanisms themselves that are manufactured to a certain spec, (Anthorne in this instance) so all the clocks in Ireland I'm talking about would become obsolete overnight as they would remain aligned to British Time.

Other clock mechanisms manufactured to receive the German signal would be ok, but then we'd have the discrepancy between here & Belfast, Derry, London, Cardiff & Edinburgh & Glasgow!

What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,474 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This will probably not be the last clock change. But I hope we will stick to one clock all year round soon. I don't care if it is what we have since March, or what we are switching to tonight. No amount of manipulation can change the fact that there are less daylight hours during winter, and the current system is a throwback to Germany in World War 1.

If the UK goes their own way, no big deal. Spain and Portugal, Sweden and Finland and lots more can cope with having an hour difference over the border, so we should be able to as well.

Yes I'd much rather longer, brighter evenings than brighter mornings. At least after work we can still get out with the kids in brightness. Permanent summer time would be ideal.

Leo hadn't the balls to it let's hope micheal does.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yes I'd much rather longer, brighter evenings than brighter mornings. At least after work we can still get out with the kids in brightness. Permanent summer time would be ideal.

Leo hadn't the balls to it let's hope micheal does.

The current arrangements are agreed EU wide, including an opt out allowing Ireland and the UK to change clocks a couple of weeks apart from the other countries, if I recall correctly.

The new arrangement will also be all EU countries, each one free to choose whatever time zone they want, but they have to stick to it all year round.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

If the UK opt for permanent wintertime I hope Ireland doesn't follow suit just to keep the whole island in one time zone.

Permanent summer time for me, even if it means a zone change going from Newry to Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

wasn’t this started to facilitate farmers and achieve more daYlight in olden tomes
    prior to headlights on tractors and indooor electricity in sheds for milking etc.

It will make total havoc out of the international navagation systems and tide tables for sailors and the maritime induatry.

If the UK opt for permanent wintertime I hope Ireland doesn't follow suit just to keep the whole island in one time zone.

Permanent summer time for me, even if it means a zone change going from Newry to Dundalk.

The speculation is that the UK will continue to change their clocks, while we would be the same all year round. Could mean being in line with them six months of the year, and being one hour different for six months. Or even one hour for six months and two hours the other six.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

wasn’t this started to facilitate farmers

Farners work to the weather and the sun, it doesn't matter a damn to them what it says on a clock.
    It will make total havoc out of the international navagation systems and tide tables for sailors and the maritime induatry.

All of that stuff works relative to UTC. Many countries already don't have a clock change, and/or have several time zones within the country, and not always 1 hour differences between the zones either.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The only good thing about Ireland are long summer evenings; if they get rid of them it will be so grim. Winter is a right off in most of Europe; it's grey and bleak anyway; You'd hardly notice an extra hour in the mornings or the evenings. Think about it; most people work till 5. You basically have one hour max of extra sunlight; no time to prepare yourself to do anything. Most activities take place later in the evening and it'll be dark anyway. Much better to have that light at the end of the tunnel and the advent of summer with that additional hour stretch in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The UK will do the opposite to the EU just to be contrary, hopefully Ireland doesn't follow their lead.

astrofool wrote: »
    The UK will do the opposite to the EU just to be contrary, hopefully Ireland doesn't follow their lead.

If the UK continue to change clocks just to be recalcitrant I will be extremely angry if Ireland follows suit.

Permanent summer time for me.

There won't be an option for any EU country to keep changing their clocks. Just like the current agreed rule means that they all have to change their clocks.

There won't be an option for any EU country to keep changing their clocks. Just like the current agreed rule means that they all have to change their clocks.

Think it's upto each country to decide, when Leo was the leader he said he'd follow the UK with whatever they decided.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Think it's upto each country to decide, when Leo was the leader he said he'd follow the UK with whatever they decided.

Whatever Leo said Brexit changes things. We cannot follow the UK if they decide to keep the clock changes. If and when the new EU arrangements come.

• Advertisement

If the EU granted Ireland and the UK an exemption from Schengen then there's nothing to stop Ireland seeking an exemption from the clocks. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Permanent summer time.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

This EU Commission plan to abolish DST failed to muster consensus at EU Council as some states were opposed and effectively died when the last Commission's term ended late last year.

Haven't heard diddly squat about it from the new Commission since.

If the EU granted Ireland and the UK an exemption from Schengen then there's nothing to stop Ireland seeking an exemption from the clocks. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Permanent summer time.

Schengen has nothing to do with clocks. The new arrangement is to facilitate trade in a trading bloc.

Schengen has nothing to do with clocks. The new arrangement is to facilitate trade in a trading bloc.

I know it doesn't.

I was responding to a post which said we'd be obliged to comply.

I replied saying that if an exemption was sought (and granted) from Schengen for border reasons, there's nothing to stop a similar exemption being sought for timezone changes.

Can't you read?

Quackster wrote: »
    This EU Commission plan to abolish DST failed to muster consensus at EU Council as some states were opposed and effectively died when the last Commission's term ended late last year.

Haven't heard diddly squat about it from the new Commission since.

Agreed, he's a sneaky little snake too.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭prunudo

The status quo should continue. Long summer evenings are great, not sure its worth it to have it dark after 9am for most of the month of January though.

I know it doesn't.

I was responding to a post which said we'd be obliged to comply.

I replied saying that if an exemption was sought (and granted) from Schengen for border reasons, there's nothing to stop a similar exemption being sought for timezone changes.

Can't you read?

OK, I will make something up as well. Germany and Austria are going to look for an opt out if Switzerland keeps changing their clocks. Poland and Romania are going to look for an opt out if Ukraine keeps changing their clocks.

Changing clocks is agreed between all EU members, it will be all or none for the new scheme.

OK, I will make something up as well. Germany and Austria are going to look for an opt out if Switzerland keeps changing their clocks. Poland and Romania are going to look for an opt out if Ukraine keeps changing their clocks.

Changing clocks is agreed between all EU members, it will be all or none for the new scheme.

So why wasn't Schengen all or none?

So why wasn't Schengen all or none?

In the same way that Sweden and Denmark do not use the Euro.

• Advertisement

In the same way that Sweden and Denmark do not use the Euro.

So again, if exemptions are granted for currency and Schengen arrangements what makes you think exemptions wouldn't be granted for time changes?

Regardless of whether it's being done to allign us with a non EU country.

Advertisement