Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

23-10-2020, 16:18   #9751
cnocbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlead View Post
Going to have to pull you up there. Breitling specifically provided the on board chronometer for spitfires and other aircraft to the RAF throughout the 30s and 40s. I think the Navitimer came out in the early 50s and was a ground breaking "tool" watch at the time. You have to bare in mind that they were very much tool watches back then more than luxury pieces. They certainly weren't the first pilots watches but their aviation heritage is very much legitimate. Obviously now its all just marketing BS, the same as any luxury watch brand. To be fair to Breitling actually, they do still try to make modern relevant tool watches. That emergency one they have is a great piece of kit to have even now. I think someone on here actually has one.
My father was presented with a clock out of the panel of a Hurricane by one of his mechanics. Unfortunately it was stolen in the Early 80's. That one at least I don't think was made by Breitling. The chronometer my father was issued for navigating his Spitfires, Hurricanes, et al, was a Jaeger LeCoutre pocket watch. The wrist watch he was issued with was an Omega. But sure, I'll accept your correction as I was unaware Breitling made clocks for the RAF.

Edit: Wibbs has jogged my memory there with his excellent depth of knowledge, it was made by Smith's. I remember handling it with interest before it was installed in the boat my father built, from whence it was later stolen.

Last edited by cnocbui; 23-10-2020 at 16:30.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-10-2020, 16:24   #9752
redlead

Did he get to keep the JLC pocket watch? Would love to see that
23-10-2020, 16:41   #9753
cnocbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlead View Post
Did he get to keep the JLC pocket watch? Would love to see that
Yes, I still have it and the Omega. JLC still runs, Omega might be restorable in the right hands (anyone any ideas on this?)

JLC: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...postcount=9572 and more on subsequent pages.

Omega: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...postcount=9464

I find it surreal to think these objects were hurtling through the skies in a Spitfire and multiple other types of single seat fighter during WW2.
(6) thanks from:
23-10-2020, 16:58   #9754
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

I'd say your Omega is well restorable C. The dial is in great nick, the alloy cases tend to go abit crusty, but are fixable and the movement should come back to life handily enough. Might need a balance staff, but the movement is a good one and many were made so should be easy enough to source one.
Thanks from:
23-10-2020, 17:20   #9755
cnocbui

Strangely, I have another watch I personally think is more remarkable than the war relics. It's a Flavre Leuba ladies watch that belonged to my mother. A 16 jewel masterpiece of miniatuisation with the whole movement being about the size of the tip of my pinky. The movement is probably smaller in volume than a single link in the watch band of those enormous hulking gerat mens watches that so many seem to like.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-10-2020, 18:13   #9756
RMDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
Strangely, I have another watch I personally think is more remarkable than the war relics. It's a Flavre Leuba ladies watch that belonged to my mother. A 16 jewel masterpiece of miniatuisation with the whole movement being about the size of the tip of my pinky. The movement is probably smaller in volume than a single link in the watch band of those enormous hulking gerat mens watches that so many seem to like.
Class. Pictures?
23-10-2020, 18:37   #9757
Cienciano

It's funny how people grow to like or dislike certain brands.
Thanks from:
23-10-2020, 18:43   #9758
Lorddrakul

As a child of the 80s, watching Formula 1 with my mum, there was only one watch brand I was aware of:
TAG Heuer.

Didn't know till later that the company developed the modern transponder-based timing system used by most motorsport.

And even later discovered the character that was a Jack Heuer.
(3) thanks from:
23-10-2020, 19:38   #9759
Cyclingtourist

I've been looking through my vintage National Geographics and found two more watch adverts that I hadn't noticed before. The first's another full-page Hamilton, this time from a couple of years earlier, June 1939 and a smaller one, a Girard Perregaux chrono, in the November 1938 edition.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hamilton June 1939.jpg (1.91 MB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg Girard Perregaux November 1938.jpg (409.3 KB, 244 views)
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-10-2020, 19:43   #9760
Wibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cienciano View Post
Yeah, it has many influences for each individual. Depends on the type of collector(or not) too. Familial connections, childhood memories, perceptions of status, mechanical(or even electrical) engineering considerations, horological interest, advertising, cultural background. It's kinda mad. T'is a broad church.
Thanks from:
23-10-2020, 19:45   #9761
Wibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclingtourist View Post
I've been looking through my vintage National Geographics and found two more watch adverts that I hadn't noticed before. The first's another full-page Hamilton, this time from a couple of years earlier, June 1939 and a smaller one, a Girard Perregaux chrono, in the November 1938 edition.
When I see ads like that aimed at young men from that time I always have the thought in the back of my head that they don't realise what's coming and how many wouldn't be coming back.
24-10-2020, 09:45   #9762
Ads by Google

Wandered into a Casio store here in Hanoi and left with this.

24-10-2020, 11:35   #9763
ecoli3136

GWN-Q1000. A favourite weekend warrior.

http://imgur.com/a/DtuGAac

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2rG8sEx.jpg (189.8 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Wibbs; 24-10-2020 at 11:52. Reason: Tweaked pic for ya. :)
24-10-2020, 13:27   #9764
Birneybau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cienciano View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorddrakul View Post
As a child of the 80s, watching Formula 1 with my mum, there was only one watch brand I was aware of:
TAG Heuer.

Didn't know till later that the company developed the modern transponder-based timing system used by most motorsport.

And even later discovered the character that was a Jack Heuer.
Absolutely no offense, but I never liked Tags myself. There's something about them being a 'Laaaads' watch.
24-10-2020, 14:04   #9765
Cienciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birneybau View Post
Absolutely no offense, but I never liked Tags myself. There's something about them being a 'Laaaads' watch.
That's it, people will like or dislike certain brands for all sorts of reasons. Wibbs mentioned a few reasons. For some reason I want an in house movement. Makes zero sense in the sub €1000 category. Annoys me when I see a watch I like and find out it uses a perfectly good ETA movement. What the hell does it matter? I don't know, but it's something I need. That obviously doesn't go for microbrands btw
Thanks from:
Thread Closed