Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-07-2020, 15:01   #61
Pete_Cavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Russell View Post
I hate bouncy bendy buses.

Three axles are dreadful - if you must have longer buses, make them four axles. They should have sick bags standard in the trailer part of the bendy bus.
I haven't experienced such issues with bendy buses, in recent years at least, and I spend a lot of time in a city where they are the standard form of transport. They are more space efficient without need for a stairs, multiple doors speeds up boarding and alighting and they better accommodate buggies and those with mobility issues. They also allow for easier upgrade to light rail if necessary. With proper offboard ticketing, they would be great for our small cities.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-07-2020, 15:07   #62
Sam Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Cavan View Post
I haven't experienced such issues with bendy buses, in recent years at least, and I spend a lot of time in a city where they are the standard form of transport. They are more space efficient without need for a stairs, multiple doors speeds up boarding and alighting and they better accommodate buggies and those with mobility issues. They also allow for easier upgrade to light rail if necessary. With proper offboard ticketing, they would be great for our small cities.
I do not want to take this thread off topic, but the experience of the No. 10 bus in Dublin is that they are not suitable for routes that require any attempt at tight corners. Also, the Wright version had no doors in the trailer and so would be no advantage over the current double decker. They are horrible buses.

A four axle design, more like a tram, would be a better solution.
16-07-2020, 15:21   #63
Pete_Cavan

Quote:
I do not want to take this thread off topic, but the experience of the No. 10 bus in Dublin is that they are not suitable for routes that require any attempt at tight corners. Also, the Wright version had no doors in the trailer and so would be no advantage over the current double decker. They are horrible buses.

I don't see the issue with three axles but anyway, obviously appropriate vehicles would need to be sourced and the route designed to accommodate them. My point is, if the intention is that there will eventually be a light rail there, and these works are intended for ease of upgrade, going bendy bus now makes sense. That's aside from the multiple other benefits of bendy buses.
Thanks from:
11-09-2020, 15:16   #64
Pete_Cavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbreak Hank View Post
Details here:

https://virtualengage.arup.com/maccurtain-street/

Pretty cool way of presenting the information without an actual public information session
I just had a look at the council consultation site for this as it closes today and from what I can see there are no submissions;

https://consult.corkcity.ie/en/node/2012/submissions

Very surprised by that, I would have thought that somebody somewhere would have had something to say on it.
11-09-2020, 18:31   #65
namloc1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Cavan View Post
I just had a look at the council consultation site for this as it closes today and from what I can see there are no submissions;

https://consult.corkcity.ie/en/node/2012/submissions

Very surprised by that, I would have thought that somebody somewhere would have had something to say on it.
There were submissions as a number of people and groups on Twitter put up theirs. System glitch I'd say more than anything.

Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-10-2020, 17:46   #66
marno21

The NTA have tendered for a resign of the Cork City Bus Network

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Suppli...TENDERS_SIMPLE
24-10-2020, 12:49   #67
CatInABox

Mod: Xbox, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by marno21 View Post
The NTA have tendered for a resign of the Cork City Bus Network

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Suppli...TENDERS_SIMPLE
You'd wonder if Jarrett Walker + Associates would go for this, they were mithered with their Dublin work, and you'd wonder how much of their work has survived the various consultation rounds.
24-10-2020, 12:51   #68
s1ippy
Banned

Quote:
I do not want to take this thread off topic, but the experience of the No. 10 bus in Dublin is that they are not suitable for routes that require any attempt at tight corners.
Ha, can you imagine the 216 as a bendy bus going around the corner by Lennoxes!
Thanks from:
24-10-2020, 15:04   #69
LXFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInABox View Post
You'd wonder if Jarrett Walker + Associates would go for this, they were mithered with their Dublin work, and you'd wonder how much of their work has survived the various consultation rounds.
It does somewhat depend on the parameters within which they are told to work.

The NTA originally instructed them to build a network based on significant numbers of people now having to change to go to the city centre, including onto already packed trains and trams which couldn't take them, frequencies on radial routes at lower levels than what was in place by the time the first draft was published, and without any infrastructure being in place beforehand.

That was never going to work.

The revised network published in Autumn 2019, which formed the basis of the final network design published last month reflected that reality.

I would doubt that any revised network for Cork City would propose much forcing people to change buses to get to/from the city, but it would entail significantly more orbital routes (like in Dublin).

Last edited by LXFlyer; 24-10-2020 at 15:19.
Advertisement
24-10-2020, 15:13   #70
LXFlyer

Quote:

Not wanting to pull this off topic, but as has been pointed out to you before, operating articulated buses in the city, with zero infrastructure modifications in place for their safe operation, including extended bus stop cages to allow the bus pull in properly at bus stops, and retreated stop lines (as already used at certain locations in the city to good effect) that allow such vehicles to make turns safely, was never going to work.

None of those were put in place and we never got to see the potential of the vehicles in practice.

You're judging them without any infrastructure being in place for them to operate safely.

Added to that, those buses were forced onto Dublin Bus by the DTO, against their will as they felt that the necessary infrastructure measures would never happen.

Last edited by LXFlyer; 24-10-2020 at 15:17.
(3) thanks from:
24-10-2020, 17:25   #71
Markcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Not wanting to pull this off topic, but as has been pointed out to you before, operating articulated buses in the city, with zero infrastructure modifications in place for their safe operation, including extended bus stop cages to allow the bus pull in properly at bus stops, and retreated stop lines (as already used at certain locations in the city to good effect) that allow such vehicles to make turns safely, was never going to work.

None of those were put in place and we never got to see the potential of the vehicles in practice.

You're judging them without any infrastructure being in place for them to operate safely.

Added to that, those buses were forced onto Dublin Bus by the DTO, against their will as they felt that the necessary infrastructure measures would never happen.
Is that because politically we value shiny new buses more than boring things that let the buses work more effectively .. nobody goes ooh I like that effective bus stop, and seamless ticketing ,and the fact that the bus is cumulatively quicker and more reliable ,it's a hard sell ...
Whereas as extra brand new buses ,with ads on the side to say which government program has paid for it ,are easy to point to ...( And most importantly don't take away from car spaces on the road )
24-10-2020, 18:29   #72
LXFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcheese View Post
Is that because politically we value shiny new buses more than boring things that let the buses work more effectively .. nobody goes ooh I like that effective bus stop, and seamless ticketing ,and the fact that the bus is cumulatively quicker and more reliable ,it's a hard sell ...
Whereas as extra brand new buses ,with ads on the side to say which government program has paid for it ,are easy to point to ...( And most importantly don't take away from car spaces on the road )
Well to be fair it was one individual, the former head of the DTO, who "drove" that one.

Not one of their finest moments.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion