Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How common are 'hard places' in our galaxy?

• 09-10-2020 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

I've been drawn into talk of radio SETI, the whole nine yards.

I've been trying to think of peoples that might use Radio Seti as a strong first recource in their space programs.

People that have huge amounts of random signals that their chances of getting a signal out or in is an achivement in itself.

Peoples surrounded by loads of rocks and dust that a visual outside(or inside?) their own solar system is a complete non-runner.

Peoples with both those issues.

As I sit back and wait a little, along with our own endeavours. Are there lots of places in our galaxy for serious ****ers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

What?

I've worked out that sending a signal out will never be a serious consideration for us as a people. Applying that to everywhere else, they will just be occasional listners for other planets too. I want to know about the types of places the talkers might live. If there are such places? Where telescopes, probes are not nessesary an option. Do you, or anyone else have thoughts on this?

Smiles35 wrote: »
    I've worked out that sending a signal out will never be a serious consideration for us as a people. Applying that to everywhere else, they will just be occasional listners for other planets too. I want to know about the types of places the talkers might live. If there are such places? Where telescopes, probes are not a option. Do you, or anyone else have thoughts on this?

As far as where they might be in the universe your guess is as good as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

As far as where they might be in the universe your guess is as good as mine.

Well, your probably the same as me. Someone who who takes an odd look and think. I'm posting on the chance that someone around here has spent a, long long time, musing about what goes on out there.

Well, your probably the same as me. Someone who who takes an odd look and think. I'm posting on the chance that someone around here has spent a, long long time, musing about what goes on out there.

If you can think it, it is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭ps200306

I've worked out that sending a signal out will never be a serious consideration for us as a people. Applying that to everywhere else, they will just be occasional listners for other planets too. I want to know about the types of places the talkers might live. If there are such places? Where telescopes, probes are not nessesary an option. Do you, or anyone else have thoughts on this?

Astrophysical masers are a well-established phenomenon seen in interstellar gas clouds containing alcohols, formaldehyde and hydroxyl species. I wondered if those could be harnessed to transmit signals. It seems someone else thought of it already and it could be done within current technology. SETI has also previously looked for signals from ETs that might be using hydroxyl masers as amplification. I think the biggest problem with using natural masers as amplifiers is that the signal would be very directional, so the potential audience would be limited.

Advertisement