Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Ha - you're definitely in too deep now then…

Soon enough you'll be debating the aesthetics of swan neck regulators vs free sprung balances (I'm a swan fan - free sprung is too hard to adjust without technical tools) :P

I dont know what a swan neck regulator is
    EcVOP1eWAAAuS0D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

That's cause you have too many Rolexs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

Very nice looking caseback on the top right 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jay's TF!
    With those stretch goals you are really spoiling us :)
    Only way to top it off will be with a box of ferrero Roche! :P

Which the Guinness money will buy us ;)
    Just saw a clip of you ag caint as gaelige from the Diyu is ainm Dom shared around FB as a Guinness as!
    Get the copyright claim in motion!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10221883894879323&id=1617061974&anchor_composer=false

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Advertisement

And as of this evening we've hit 69k (there's a joke in there somewhere) - 80k seems very do-able in 14 days... 100k requires 2.2k (7 backers a day average - a not impossible task I think).

I'll keep hard at it :)

Heh - a good reason why not to count chickens before they hatch - a week later we are at...69(.9) again.

I just want to check with people - people do realise that the rotor on the standard Starlight model will be featuring the cotes de geneve finishing as found here, right?:
    https://www.beansandbezels.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/solas_starlight_watch__24__9_34_32_PM-1024x683.jpg

https://www.beansandbezels.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/SSS09099-1024x683.jpg

https://wristwatchreview.co.uk/solas-starlight-review#jp-carousel-5375

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/c3e86a_31df7911e6484d8fb989e9998033c15a~mv2.jpeg/v1/fill/w_484,h_605,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/c3e86a_31df7911e6484d8fb989e9998033c15a~mv2.webp

http://www.scottishwatches.co.uk/wp49/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Capture8-3.jpg

All reviews of the Starlight have been ones which use this rotor and it is what is on my personally photographed pictures of the Starlight.

The studio photos of the Starlight used the cotes de arabesque rotor as we didn't have any other movement to hand (and 3 of the golden movements were in storage at the time) to meet the deadline to produce photos for the ABTW feature back in August. On the KS page now an early supporter of the Starlight is using terms like fraud now - which I would find disappointing (as well as legally incorrect) - and btw I actually do prefer the cotes de geneve as it allows for laser etching of the logo/finer details vs the pad printing on the circular grain (which can't be lasered).

I would have hoped that I've distributed enough photos/linked to reviews etc. that people can see that the standard version will be coming with the cotes de geneve finishing and laser etched logo.

On the other hand - I can understand if someone has only looked at the studio photos and absolutely nothing else in relation to Sólás and the Starlight why they would then think it would come with a cote de arabesque rotor and pad printed logo. I've put up a FAQ on the KS site (despite only being asked twice about it) - but do people think an update just addressing this is needed for backers?

On the KS page now an early supporter of the Starlight is using terms like fraud now -

It totally isn't me!!! Swear ;)
    But yep, I think everyone here would have been well aware of the 5 (was it 5?) Special finish movements.
    Hardly fraudulent, and in fairness it's still an unreal amount of watch for the money.

banie01 wrote: »
    It totally isn't me!!! Swear ;)
    But yep, I think everyone here would have been well aware of the 5 (was it 5?) Special finish movements.
    Hardly fraudulent, and in fairness it's still an unreal amount of watch for the money.

2! - one is out in the wild in the world as that charity prize and the other goes into the Sólás vaults... I could only get my hands on 3 of them in total and am keeping the 3rd movement as a backup in case the person who won the SoK edition has any issues in the future.

A pretty true "limited" edition there... and interestingly I think blued screws wouldn't have worked so well with the golden movement vs the standard silver one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Maybe it's me not paying enough attention but I think adding the blue screws and different strap complicated thing's somewhat. Now with the rotor, I don't even know the difference to be honest, I'm not sure what the watch is coming with, what screws, strap, etc.

• Advertisement

Jesus some of these guys are so flippin fussy, its a 350 euro microrotar from a brand new microbrand....why are they trying to bust your balls with these little details. This is what you get for romancing the WIS crowd thirdfox, I personally could not stick the faux outrage from these pedagogue's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I would question the sincerity of a watch enthusiast who backed a 350 quid kickstarter, supposedly without watching a single review or looking at any other picture aside from one or two.

An obvious attention seeking flounce imo, with an addition of trying to wind up a lawyer by accusing him of fraud. Attention seeking, you answered well, now ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Personally I think you have described everything about the watch and it has been gone into depth by reviewers, but some people just want to complain. I don't think you need to explain anything anymore , but if it keeps your mind at ease by all means do so. But the majority of people who backed you I think don't believe you need to do anymore.

This is it wrote: »
    Maybe it's me not paying enough attention but I think adding the blue screws and different strap complicated thing's somewhat. Now with the rotor, I don't even know the difference to be honest, I'm not sure what the watch is coming with, what screws, strap, etc.

I will definitely be letting people know what the final piece will be - it is very likely to be what you have seen in all the recent reviews - with the addition of blued screws. The salmon straps will be 41.25 euro add ons if people prefer to add on a salmon strap in black in addition to the Horween strap (and that's pretty much at cost too) - some people have been asking about purchasing individually without backing the campaign and the price then would be 58 euro (without VAT currently).

I've taken a few snaps of the movement so people can see absolutely clearly what is being made for them (apart from blued screws):

c1hoy59l.jpg

ECiOiR7l.jpg

dW8gv9Hl.jpg

Not touching the photoshop in case people take issue with any "touching up" - they have been cropped however!

For a 339-389 euro full package (including shipping and depending on when backed) I genuinely think it is pretty good what you are getting (and even better if the blued screws get slotted in).

Of course things can always be better though - Pierre may not have seen the reviews as he is a French native so that is something I should have considered too - while most are English speakers there may be some people who just didn't bother checking out English reviews etc. and relied solely on the studio photos (which again was down to circumstances - we just didn't have a signed rotor to give to the photographer - it was either circular or no logo at all). That's on me though for not planning the timing correctly on the photos.

The really big push will come at 48 hours before the end of the campaign - every follower of the campaign (700+) will get an email from Kickstarter reminding them that the Sólás campaign is about to finish. While I obviously can't control the narrative of what people are saying on the comments I understand that prospective backers will often be checking out the comments and updates to see how the campaign is going...

As such - it would be good if things like "fraud" isn't at the top of the comments pile - so I would love it if people could post some generally positive comments to the KS page too (if you feel like the campaign warrants positive comments) - keeping in mind that prospective backers probably won't enjoy seeing fighting/angry posts on comments either - it's why I hope I've been seen to answer any backers' questions calmly, thoroughly and helpfully :)

For any backers of the Starlight - just an FYI that I've put up the last official update before the end of the campaign:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-affordable-micro-rotor-watch/posts/2999023

(apparently there is research that shows putting up updates too close to the end apparently results in people dropping off too) - but wanted to put the rotor issue to bed absolutely - addressed in FAQs, main campaign page, comments and now an update too.

Oh and another review has come out - heh still time to sneak a few more in - the reviewer will be doing a Spanish version too - so our first non-English video review :)

WOgrU73h.jpg

After all the talk of fraud, sleight of hand and so on (which has affected me more than I thought it would and seeing 2k of backers withdraw over the last few days) I'll take this minor win...

It may be the bottom of page 1 but darn it Sólás Watches has made it onto page 1 of Google's search results for microrotor watches (funny that the worn & wound news article is placed ahead).

Made sure to use private mode so google shouldn't be able to identify it as me.

Oh and even further up the page in Bing search...but no-one uses Bing anyway :P

RPptt1Ih.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

People use bing all the time.

To search for google.

which has affected me more than I thought it would and seeing 2k of backers withdraw over the last few days) I'll take this minor win...

Are you kidding me, people actually dropped out....their loss, but goes to show how mental people are. Its a good thing you are actually so honest about things, and interactive.

Did they definitely drop out due to that? I'd imagine you'll have the odd one drop out close to the end when they check their funding again the closer we get to actually paying.

This is it wrote: »
    Did they definitely drop out due to that? I'd imagine you'll have the odd one drop out close to the end when they check their funding again the closer we get to actually paying.

Yeah I had gotten in touch to see why they decided to leave. In a sense it was good because if someone told me after receiving the watch that they had never looked at any picture of the Starlight except for the studio shots (lesson definitely learnt there!) and don't like the rotor design (superior rotor design btw in my honest opinion as it allows for laser engraving over pad printing) - I would have given them a full refund. At least it's super, absolutely, extremely clear now what people are getting :) - I just wanted to stem the negative mood asap on the comments page before we got to that 48 hour email.

And definitely - there will be others who decide that ultimately the watch isn't for them or funds would be spent better elsewhere, or expected funds didn't materialise (had some good conversations with people who unfortunately had to back out due to circumstances largely out of their control). It was very touching that one backer had backed for a watch but decided they really couldn't afford such an outlay at the moment but then donated $50 for no reward just because they really supported the idea behind Sólás - left me a very supportive message too :)

(edit) As for changes - I've tried to minimise the potential for people to not get what they were expecting because no-one wants that, though it is exactly that risk people do take with Kickstarter when you're not buying a finished product and have it ready to ship a day later. I've seen first hand the horror stories of a movement(!) being changed and announced to backers a month before delivery - but quite a few campaigns changes small things as they go. With the Starlight I was trying to prevent changes occurring and making it as much as "click and (pre)order" as possible but womp womp - nothing will go perfectly smoothly - it's how to deal with it that is important.

I'll say it publicly here on boards.ie - Hangzhou has told me that the screws will be thermally blued... I am NOT saying that on the KS page as I can imagine all hell will break loose if it turns out that isn't the case - I am proceeding on the basis that they will be chemically blued - until I can get the screws in hand for testing. I really don't like the fact that this perk is being offered without me being able to inspect the product in hand but I think the potential benefit is great enough to take this risk (I suggest imagining asking a lawyer to "just take a chance" on something ha :pac: )

^ due to the above discussion with Hangzhou I am quite confident that the screws won't be "painted" blue at the very least. They couldn't possibly(?) confuse thermally blued with painted blue - chemically though is possible (perhaps?) - under promise and over deliver is the aim here.

Hopefully people can see the heart is definitely in the right place with what I'm trying to add on here (but then I do realise I probably have a more sympathetic audience on boards).

edit: changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

When dealing with large amounts of the public, you'll soon realise that about 5% of people are just arseholes. When you have so many in your kickstarter, law of averages say you'll have a few dickheads.
    893bet wrote: »
    People use bing all the time.

To search for google.

Hold on, bing videos is the best pórn search engine out there!

^ this would be a weird post to leave as a the last one before we finish up the campaign :p so for people who haven't seen it up on Instagram here are some new photos my factory partner sent me of everything that is lined up and ready to go:

eDw0kzFh.jpg

fjIEYM3h.jpg

I've never seen so much aventurine in one location.

yz3509oh.jpg

39RMPFKh.jpg

0z9EyWoh.jpg

LG9sjR0h.jpg

The blue material on the crown is there to protect the engravings from my understanding. MsThirdfox thought I was going for blued crowns too :pac: - but hey who knows - a cabochon might not be crazy a la Cartier...

Great to see a few jumping in towards the end :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Congrats ThirdFox! 200 backers, and a successful campaign - delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Pledge paid. Looking forward to this watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Zero funds to invest but have been following this thread for a while now and absolutely love the spirit of it, thirdfox, congrats and best of luck in everything you do, your watch is deadly looking, you da man!

Well done Diyu.

Putting Irish micro brands on the map (in a positive way).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Kickstarter really waste no time taking the money anyway 😂😂

antodeco wrote: »
    Kickstarter really waste no time taking the money anyway 😂😂

Good thing I remembered to top up my payment card yesterday!
    Also, sweet cashback at least means that my postage is free.

• Advertisement

As a suggestion Diyu, for the boards backers you could hand deliver via a boards meet. Keep it small as such, on an in invite only basis to backers? Just meet in a hotel bar or lobby or similar, or book a small function room.

Delivery is a long way off so restrictions may allow something like this by then.

Advertisement