Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Impact of Covid on Irish Mega Projects (BusConnects, Metrolink, DART+)

• 28-09-2020 10:46am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ugh. Public transport needs €460m to keep running, Eamon Ryan warned.

The article includes info such as:
    The briefing note has also warned the Government does not know how much the State’s three planned “mega-projects” will cost, despite the fact work is already under way.

The National Development Plan, published in early 2018, put aside €8.6 billion over 10 years for a number of projects and programmes including BusConnects, the Dart expansion and MetroLink.

However the initial financial estimates were “based on very early-stage, conceptual-level estimations and were not underpinned by robust cost-estimation processes”, Mr Ryan has been warned.

The briefing says that “it is to be expected that costs estimated in the robust manner envisaged for these mega-projects will differ considerably from high-level, conceptual-level costings.

“Since publication of the National Development Plan, work has continued on all three of the mega-projects; however, the department has not yet received the preliminary business case in respect of any of the three mega-projects with BusConnects Dublin being the first of the projects expected to reach that stage later in the year.”

Disappointed to see this come up now. I can't think of a better way to improve the chances of an economic rebound than these projects, so hopefully he's bringing this up to prepare others for the sticker shock. Even if they are expensive, they are still very much needed. Covid isn't going to be around forever (not even medium term in my opinion), so we'll still need a better way of transporting people around Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭roadmaster

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ugh. Public transport needs €460m to keep running, Eamon Ryan warned.

The article includes info such as:

Disappointed to see this come up now. I can't think of a better way to improve the chances of an economic rebound than these projects, so hopefully he's bringing this up to prepare others for the sticker shock. Even if they are expensive, they are still very much needed. Covid isn't going to be around forever (not even medium term in my opinion), so we'll still need a better way of transporting people around Dublin

I nearly forgot Eamon was in government he has being so quiet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Nothing surprising in that really. Detailed design hasn't been completed on any of the 3 projects, so exact costings aren't available yet.

In saying that, if Metrolink doesn't go ahead under a Green transport minister, will it ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yet only a couple of days ago Ryan was waffling on about the rail line from Mayo to Foynes which would cost a couple of hundred million for the sake of a freight train or two each day. If he was any use, Ryan would be reiterating how important these projects are (economically, socially, sustainability, etc) to ensure that the other parties in the government of which he is part don't look at them as easy targets for cuts. He should be doubling down on these projects which are reaching a critical point now, not flying kites about projects which are a decade (or more likely several) away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Zebra3 wrote: »

No way of knowing until it's all done and dusted, but from all the talk out of government circles, it's actually looking ok. This is a standard review that was set down ages ago, and they seem to believe that the NDP is going to be part of the Covid stimulus package.

If it was any other kind of recession, I'd be worried, but I'm pretty confident that almost everything in the NDP will be funded, and in fact I wouldn't be surprised to see projects moved forward/more added in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Zebra3 wrote: »

Not remotely negative.

The existing NDP was published in February 2018 using 2017 data. A lot has changed since then and it needs refreshing

1. Projects that were more conceptual at the time are now in detailed design and their funding profiles have changed (Metrolink, BusConnects, DART Expansion)
    2. The construction timelines have changed and the year to year funding requirements are now known.
    3. Beyond the short term, some projects are now more advanced and previous commitments to fund planning and design only now require construction funding.

The original NDP only set our detailed budgets out to 2022 so some kind of refresh was needed anyway.

From a public transport perspective, here’s what I see happening

1. Detailed year to year funding profiles for the implementation of MetroLink, DART Expansion and BusConnects infrastructure
    2. Funding for the construction of Luas Finglas
    3. Increased funding for the Cork and Limerick public transport projects
    4. Increased funding for the cycling elements of the GDA transport strategy and the Cork/Limerick ones.

Advertisement