Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-07-2020, 21:43   #91
kowloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
IBM?
(Still here and doing well but you wouldn't necessarily near from them in ordinary life)

Edit, just saw capt'n midnight's post. I bet it was Gateway 2000
Is the Gateway factory still empty? I haven't been past it in a while. Is the Dell factory still in Limerick?
Advertisement
30-07-2020, 22:10   #92
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowloon View Post
Is the Gateway factory still empty? I haven't been past it in a while. Is the Dell factory still in Limerick?
Dont know anything about the Gateway plant but Dell is still in Limerick, a shadow of itself. They sent 2000 jobs off to Poland about 10 or 12 years ago and it was devastating for the town.
30-07-2020, 22:21   #93
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomViewer View Post
EIR will survive, I don't know why but it's seems no matter how badly they treat their customers they still keep them.

It will survive in some form I would say but I think at this stage anyone under the 50 knows not to touch them with a barge pole unless you literally have no other options. They still have hundreds of thousands of customers stuck with them from the Telecom Eireann days but they are dying out. They need to fundamentally change their woeful customer service if they are to survive into the future. Plus they tend to be the dearest of all operators, that will have to change too as Sky/Virgin roll out to more locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaaz_ View Post
Tesco.....though they'll likely merge with another UK based retailer

How do you see Tesco merging? I know they have had their troubles in the past with things like their move into Asian markets which didnt go well, the horsemeat scandal, etc but they got a new CEO a few years back and he turned things around financially from what Ive read. They're also very well positioned for the growth of online deliveries which Covid has accelerated, I know a few shoppers who are doing Tesco deliveries only now since the virus hit whereas before they were shopping across 2 or 3 supermarkets.
30-07-2020, 23:08   #94
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

All the companies who do Internet of Shíte Things

It's a security disaster waiting to happen. All that home automation kit is well dodgy.

Netgear. They won't patch old kit. This means that every ISP who rebadges their kit now owns any security issues with kit they don't replace.
30-07-2020, 23:11   #95
WashYourHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBucket View Post
Apple and Facebook basically have nothing in common other than they're in the IT sector. Apple's a hardware company that makes money out of selling deluxe hardware mostly and services associated with it. They're also much, much older dating back to the 1976. I could see them shrinking from their current peak, but I don't think they'll disappear anytime soon.

Facebook's basically a data-mining advertising company that's making its money out of your information and is increasingly coming under a lot of regulatory scrutiny and political focus due to the kind of stuff it hosting. I could definitely see Facebook being at the very least broken up.

Google may also be split up due to anti-trust issues. It's just far too dominant to be ignored anymore.

I could see Twitter disappearing as it has limited revenue possibilities.

What a biased post. Tim Cook also just grilled by American lawmakers. Just yesterday
Advertisement
30-07-2020, 23:18   #96
Melanchthon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurt! View Post
Big autoamakers are like oil tankers, they turn very slowly. But when the big Japanese, German and Korean auto makers go all-in on electric vehicles, they'll sink Tesla pretty handy. Tesla will be just a badge and people won't care they were first movers. Too much industry expertise in the big automakers.
Why would you buy German, no engineer but aren't electric vehicles actually simpler than ICE vehicles in terms of engineering.
My bet is German car manufacturing will be a shadow of itself in a decade and you will be buying a car made in Asia somewhere that's running US designed software.
30-07-2020, 23:37   #97
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanchthon View Post
Why would you buy German, no engineer but aren't electric vehicles actually simpler than ICE vehicles in terms of engineering.
My bet is German car manufacturing will be a shadow of itself in a decade and you will be buying a car made in Asia somewhere that's running US designed software.
Diesel was German engineering
30-07-2020, 23:42   #98
Strumms

Quote:
Originally Posted by denartha View Post
Personally i think Facebooks days, in it's current form are numbered. Few of my friends still use it. Obviously with a personal fortune of about 65 billion, Zuckerberg has enough money to keep it going past the next ice age, but I still think its reached its peak and the decline has started.

Alot of desktop computer manufacturers are going to close. Who wants a desktop when you can get a laptop with the same specs for similar money?

I also wonder about the future of tablets. My phone does everything a tablet can but on a smaller screen, but, it's more comfortable to hold, more comfortable to type on, fits in my pocket. Pair my phone to some VR glasses that look and feel like regular sunglasses and I could get a cinema screen movie experience via my phone.
A time I’d check Facebook hourly every day. Now about twice to three times every day. I’m just bored of it, the number of adds, attention seeking fûckwits and general fûcknuttery is just a major turnoff.
(2) thanks from:
31-07-2020, 00:05   #99
quokula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanchthon View Post
There’s more to a car than a drivetrain. Tesla are pretty notorious for poor build quality, very basic cabin for the price, and lots of general quality control issues and trouble with scaling up their manufacturing output. The big manufacturers will blow them away in this area once they catch up on the EV tech, which is already beginning to happen.
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 00:52   #100
da_miser

Supervalu

Musgrave Group who own them are huge ,they will still be around but Supervalu cannot compete with Lidl/Aldi and are clearly struggling if you just base it off what you can see with your own eyes, shops are no where near as busy as other Supermarkets
31-07-2020, 02:36   #101
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_miser View Post
Supervalu

Musgrave Group who own them are huge ,they will still be around but Supervalu cannot compete with Lidl/Aldi and are clearly struggling if you just base it off what you can see with your own eyes, shops are no where near as busy as other Supermarkets
You would think, but somehow they're not far behind Dunnes for the highest market-share in retail-groceries.

Dunnes22.2%
SuperValu21.4%
Tesco21.4%
Aldi12.5%
Lidl 11.9%
Other outlets10.6%

I'd imagine the recession will cause them some serious problems, but Tesco, although identical, is not an Irish store and would seem to be the weaker chain, in the event of a downturn
Thanks from:
31-07-2020, 06:43   #102
md23040

I hope in less than 10 years that Rupert Murdochs Insidious and torrid media empire fiully disintegrates especially Fox News.
31-07-2020, 08:21   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_miser View Post
Supervalu

They are a franchise so not all the same but the good ones are by far the best food shops in Ireland and massively popular. My local one is massive, has some of the best produce you can get including an amazing bakery and it is always packed. I buy a few bits in aldi but we do our main shop in SV as it’s just far ahead.

It will be gone nowhere in 10 years.
31-07-2020, 09:10   #104
JohnnyFlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
They are a franchise so not all the same but the good ones are by far the best food shops in Ireland and massively popular. My local one is massive, has some of the best produce you can get including an amazing bakery and it is always packed. I buy a few bits in aldi but we do our main shop in SV as it’s just far ahead.

It will be gone nowhere in 10 years.
Nailed it as usual, Nox. You might have the folks who think buying half gone off tomatoes in Aldi for 49 cent is a good idea, but you’ll always have the market for people who want to pay a little extra for quality produce. That’s the market that SuperValu cater for.

I know you’re a Galway man and that SuperValu sounds like McInerney's in Loughrea. Absolutely brilliant shop. I’d still give Pat Loughnane my trade if I was in the place and looking to buy a good steak though.
31-07-2020, 09:13   #105
OnionBelt

I predict Cadbury (subsidiary of Mondelez) will continue their current strategy of trying to keep the price low by reducing the quality of their products by increasing the quantity of vegetable oils. They know nobody prefers the way the products taste now but because they are owned by a big heartless US corporation they simply lack that ability to care about what actual human beings actually want. They will suffer lower sales as people become ever more disinclined to eat junk food, which they will try to fight by making 'healthier' products, but as the whole point of confectionery is to taste nice, this will be just as ridiculous as 'lucozade zero''. Actually, I predict obesity levels to plummet this decade as the children who grew up in the image-concerned social media laden world of the 2010s enter into adulthood, government and other efforts to tackle obesity come to fruition and the novelty of eating junk food simply passes. Even now, footage of the 2000s looks like a landscape of untoned, puffy bloated people versus now, and teenage obesity was much more prevalent then, with kids now tending to be tall and thin. I think this trend will be more gradual in the US than Europe though. So I believe a company which currently produce junk food which doesn't lend itself to making healthier versions of its current products, but which isn't found in America might be a good shout (pizza shops which aren't Dominos, donut shops..).
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion