Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

australian police report for IEC

• 28-12-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

hi all, this has probably been asked a lot before on this site but im still not sure of whats involved, i want to apply for the canadian visa this year, rules state i need a police check / report for countries i have lived in since i was 18, i lived in oz for a year in 07-08 in queensland and sydney and the rest of my life in ireland

firstly will i need to apply for the police cert that requires my fingerprints taken and sent to the australian federal police or the other name check option,

secondly do i need to apply for a second traffic report because i lived in queensland. i have left some unpaid fines behind me in australia for traffic offences in both reigons, will this affect my visa application?

lastly how do you pay the oz federal police if they only accept australian dollars and no cheques

any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lindzation

Hi there,

My boyfriend just sent away for this. Ok so I read SOMEWHERE that you do not need the fingerprint check. I cannot find it for you unfortunately. I'm so annoyed because my boyfriend applied for the fingerprint check/clearance last year and it took FOREVER to come (and so expensive) and then they didn't even ask for it.. now it's a requirement. Grr! So I guess I'm not 100% sure on that, but I believe you don't need the fingerprint check.

It does say on the police clearance page for Canada that you may be required to submit a traffic report, so that one is possible. My boyfriend lived all over Australia so I'm not sure what/how long they base your "residency" in a certain state on.

Money wise - we did a bank draft.. I'm guessing you'd do something similar in Ireland. If you go into the bank just explain what you are needing. We just said we needed a bank draft for 45 Australian dollars made out to the Australian Federal Police.

Hope this helps!

shanem4422 wrote: »
    hi all, this has probably been asked a lot before on this site but im still not sure of whats involved, i want to apply for the canadian visa this year, rules state i need a police check / report for countries i have lived in since i was 18, i lived in oz for a year in 07-08 in queensland and sydney and the rest of my life in ireland

firstly will i need to apply for the police cert that requires my fingerprints taken and sent to the australian federal police or the other name check option,

secondly do i need to apply for a second traffic report because i lived in queensland. i have left some unpaid fines behind me in australia for traffic offences in both reigons, will this affect my visa application?

lastly how do you pay the oz federal police if they only accept australian dollars and no cheques

any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shanem4422

thanks for that, was onto the local garda station and the immigration officer isnt back till the third of jan. will have to run it by her then myt have a more drfinite answer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭horse7

how long does it take for the ozzi cops to send back a police clearence check,so i can complele my canada visa form,and if im still waiting for a few weeks could i go there on a holiday visa and submit the IEC visa while im in canada.

horse7 wrote: »
    how long does it take for the ozzi cops to send back a police clearence check,so i can complele my canada visa form,and if im still waiting for a few weeks could i go there on a holiday visa and submit the IEC visa while im in canada.

It says on the website that it takes 15 business days to process, so that plus the time it takes to post it there and post it back. I know when my boyfriend did it before it took over two months to get back - but he had applied for the fingerprint check as well (which is supposed to take 30 business days.)

You could definitely come over to Canada on a holiday visa and then apply - but there is not a guarantee you'll get it or that they will let you leave and come back once you do get it.. ( but you'd more than likely be fine I reckon )

a man would have to wonder if its worth the hassle of mentioining that i was ever in oz and go ahead with the application anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

a man would have to wonder if its worth the hassle of mentioining that i was ever in oz and go ahead with the application anyway

I wonder would u get away with not mentioning it? Has anyone out there done this before? I'd be curious to see if they would find out!

not worth it if they find out your lying.

Yeah.. it's not. I thought about that last year actually but if they did find out you'd probably be banned from entering Canada. They are quite strict. My friend is a kiwi who got a DUI when she was 18 or 19 (she's now 22) and she can't apply for the visa because of it - she can write a letter after a 5 year lapse appealing her case - but that's it. Crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Ya, it's not worth lying to them. Who knows, you might get away with it for a WHV but if you ever get offered permanent residency or anything like that they'll look deeper into your background. When they've discovered you lied it'll probably be residency gone and a ban from entering Canada.

lindzation wrote: »
    It says on the website that it takes 15 business days to process, so that plus the time it takes to post it there and post it back. I know when my boyfriend did it before it took over two months to get back - but he had applied for the fingerprint check as well (which is supposed to take 30 business days.)

You could definitely come over to Canada on a holiday visa and then apply - but there is not a guarantee you'll get it or that they will let you leave and come back once you do get it.. ( but you'd more than likely be fine I reckon )
    what do you mean, let you leave and come back. do you mean you have to return to ireland.

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    what do you mean, let you leave and come back. do you mean you have to return to ireland.

No you don't have to return to Ireland - but you would have to leave Canada and come back in to activate your visa (annoying). So you would have to drive/fly to the states, and then come back. (Or another country of your choice, that's just the easiest.) If you are in Toronto or Vancouver this would be pretty easy as it's not far to drive across to the US.

So for example.. my boyfriend is on his first working holiday visa, but when he gets his second one we will have to drive down to Montana, and then drive back across for his second one to be activated at the border.

Make more sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

any help would be great.

im in the exact same boat was in oz in 2003 and left parking fines.last year the canadian visa department only wanted a police check if you resided in a country for more than six months within the last five years. they even have the same question in the application forms but i read on the iec site if youve lived abroad for more then 6 months since you turned 18 you need a police cert.
    i just went through the australian police check application and it says you dont need prints for immigration purposes.
    also do you have to get a traffic check along with the police check?

emailed usit the last day, thhey replyed and said the complete police report is required including fingerprints,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jimifitz

Hey,

Just noticed that the part about needing fingerprints for the Australian police check has been removed. Just asks for a standard name check. Anyone else notice this.

where exactly does it say that you no longer need fingerprints?

where exactly does it say that you no longer need fingerprints?

On this page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/australia.asp where it says ''Which Australian police clearances are not acceptable" it used to have a line stating that a check without a fingerprint check was not acceptable. This has been removed some time in the past couple of days.

On the top of that page it now has "Applicants must provide a Standard Disclosure – name check''.

This is just a normal name check now I think.

jimifitz wrote: »
    Hey,

Just noticed that the part about needing fingerprints for the Australian police check has been removed. Just asks for a standard name check. Anyone else notice this.
    happy days. 8 weeks and 150 euro saved!! thay must hav just changed it in the last day or 2 so

Also for Australians (which you can see here) who are applying for this Visa, they don't need a fingerprint check so I wonder if we need to get it done.

I just emailed usit to see if they heard anything. might take a while for them to get back. I tried ringing but i was on hold for way too long.

seen it on another post on this site a few weeks ago that a girl emailed the canadian embassy in either france or canada and she said they told her that she did not need fingerprints, when i emailed the embassy in dublin they said that they did not answer individual emails and sent me some automaited email to cantact the canadian government directly, now that the website has changed the request think im gona apply without them.when ya look ouit the wondow and see weather like todays ya just want to get the ball rolling!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pauldpaul

hi there.. im hopefully going to toronto in march but was in oz for 2years on a british passport.. think i be ok to risk going for the IEC on a irish passport as i dont think i have the time to get a ozzie police check

• Advertisement

jimifitz wrote: »
    Also for Australians (which you can see here) who are applying for this Visa, they don't need a fingerprint check so I wonder if we need to get it done.

I just emailed usit to see if they heard anything. might take a while for them to get back. I tried ringing but i was on hold for way too long.
    usit replyed to me on friday 30th december with this

Hi Shane,

Thank you for your email. You will need to apply for a FULL austalian police certificate, this includes both a neckcheck and fingerprints.
    Please see this website here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/australia.asp for further details.

If you any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Kind Regards,
    Work Canada Team
    Programmes Department
    USIT
    19/21 Aston Quay

O'Connell Bridge
    Dublin 2

canada@usit.ie
    www.workincanada.ie
    Join us on Facebook!!
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/UsitTravel

also got this 16/12/11
    Dear Shane,

We have been notified by the IEC Department in the Canadian High Commission, London of a change in the Police Certificate requirement for the upcoming 2012 programme. All participants must submit a police certificate from either the Garda or in the Police Service Northern Ireland. Also, if you have lived in a country other than Canada for a period of more than six months since your eighteenth birthday, you must also enclose a valid police certificate from that country. Information on how to obtain police certificates from various countries can be found on http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/index.asp.

We would strongly advise you to begin obtaining all relevant police certificates ASAP so to reduce the risk of delays to your application.

Kind regards,
    Canada Work Team,
    USIT

pauldpaul wrote: »
    hi there.. im hopefully going to toronto in march but was in oz for 2years on a british passport.. think i be ok to risk going for the IEC on a irish passport as i dont think i have the time to get a ozzie police check

If you spent 2 years of the last 3 years in Australia you probably don't meet the habitual residency in Ireland requirement for the visa.

gonna have to try and blag it then so.. id say they will go fast this year with the media on tv and papers about canada been the new oz for irish people!!!!

gonna have to try and blag it then so.. id say they will go fast this year with the media on tv and papers about canada been the new oz for irish people!!!!

Chance your arm but if they catch you they'll probably ban you for a few years. I know lots of people that went to Australia or who are planning to go to Australia. Irish people seem to have Australia on the brain. You can do WHVs in Argentina, Hong Kong and New Zealand as well. I don't know anyone that's been to Canada (besides people I met there) or who are planning on going to Canada.

anyone know which form it is we need on the queensland driving authority site its like a minefield.also im a bit confused if we need fingerprint checks still

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chiefeile

I emailed the IEC.
    No fingerprints needed.
    Have my police check,took about 3 weeks from when I sent it.

think ive found the traffic check form it say you need a licence for them to proceed ive never held an aussie licence

only 3 weeks not so bad.. i just sent my aussie police check today hopefully back ASAP!!!

only 3 weeks not so bad.. i just sent my aussie police check today hopefully back ASAP!!!

did you apply for the traffic history check too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 omc79

chiefeile wrote: »
    I emailed the IEC.
    No fingerprints needed.
    Have my police check,took about 3 weeks from when I sent it.
    Hi ya. thats great it only took 3 weeks! Did you send it by registered post from Ireland? Or just by regular post? I have to post mine on Monday and wanted to know what you did. thanks

And did u just send the form, copy of passport picture page and bank draft?

Advertisement