Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant get mortgage protection

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jex30

Does anyone have experience getting a mortgage protection waiver without any death in service benefits or life cover in place. My wife and I are approved for a mortgage without any issues but I have been declined by 3+ insurance underwriters. After discussing with the BOI, they were unprepared to offer a waiver. Does anyone have a similar experience or more luck with other mortgage providers? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DubLad69

jex30 wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience getting a mortgage protection waiver without any death in service benefits or life cover in place. My wife and I are approved for a mortgage without any issues but I have been declined by 3+ insurance underwriters. After discussing with the BOI, they were unprepared to offer a waiver. Does anyone have a similar experience or more luck with other mortgage providers? Thanks!

I know it would be bad to do so, but I think I would lie to the insurers in this situation. When applying I'd tell them that I was perfectly healthy, never been to see a doctor apart from my yearly check up. Then they won't even ask to see medical files. I'd be screwed then if anything every happened, but I just wouldn't be able to just give up on buying a house.

I'm not saying that you should do that, just that it must be so hard and frustrating to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Contact Nick McGowan at lion.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

DubLad69 wrote: »
    I know it would be bad to do so, but I think I would lie to the insurers in this situation. When applying I'd tell them that I was perfectly healthy, never been to see a doctor apart from my yearly check up. Then they won't even ask to see medical files. I'd be screwed then if anything every happened, but I just wouldn't be able to just give up on buying a house.

Very foolish approach.

Insurers aren't doing this for the LOLZ. They would prefer to sell you insurance. But they know the likelihood of a claim - and that effectively means the likelihood of your not being able to pay the mortgage.

Getting the mortgage in the first place is the simplest part, for many people. Keeping it paid for the full term is the hard bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 wexfordquay

jex30 wrote: »

Hi there. I am lucky enough to have gotten a waiver but a couple of days after I received the waiver this crowd https://www.pulse-insurance.co.uk/about-us/
    came back to me through my broker and said they would give me cover. It was a little bit more expensive than usual but not bank breaking. The broker I used was Declan Griffin in ERM Financial solutions. Extremely helpful. I'm not sure what your circumstances are but I found it impossible in Ireland to get cover as I'm a type 2 diabetic. I hope this helps and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bleaks

Hi folks,

Think it's a good idea to have an appointment with your doc prior to applying, just for a checkup and discuss whether we'd have anything to worry about on our application, etc? OH was off work due to stress for a few weeks last year (mostly because she hated her work environment), and had previously been on anti-depressants many years ago, short term. Would hate for a bad medical report to affect our chances of getting it or rocket the price for fairly common conditions experienced by a lot of people from time to time. We're both relatively young and healthy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OwlRabbitDuck40

I created an account just to second this! I know this is an old thread but when I was having difficulty getting mortgage protection insurance I was trawling the web looking for advice so I thought I would add my experience in case it helps someone.

I had a terminal cancer diagnosis in my youth so I was expecting to have issues, but it was 16 years ago so it was obviously incorrect! I was hopeful there wouldn't be a problem. I first got turned down by Royal London through a broker, and the broker told me if Royal London don't cover you, no one will.

Only because the bank required three rejections before they look for a waiver, I went to VHI. They assured me they would cover almost anyone, but when they got back the GP report, they also refused to cover me. This is three months later now and I was convinced I wouldn't be able to get cover.

Thanks to this thread I went to Nick and Hannah at Lion.ie and they were so fast and helpful; they took my medical history and checked with their contacts and were optimistic that Irish Life would cover me. So I got the GP report for the third time and waited for what seemed like an eternity to hear back from them - the request went to their CMO and finally, they said yes!

It's a slightly higher premium then I would like to pay, so hopefully with the new EU laws they are bringing in, there will be a way to reduce it in the future, but I'm just so delighted to be offered cover. I can't recommend Lion.ie highly enough for their professionalism and thoroughness. They are super quick to respond and if they can help you, they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭you2008

Hi all

Never had mortgage before, Dose anyone know below quote is a good price?

Sounds about average, but the price is dependent on the amount covered and any health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

New account with 1 post full of praise for lion.ie, thats definitely not dodgy 🙄.

My partner called them with the same issue and he straight away said no and didn't go any further or offer any advice so the raving reviews we are seeing here from 1 post accounts is not all the truth either. Perhaps it was because she is foreign but what do I know?

If you can provide 3 decline letters to BOI they can possibly waiver or provide a deal for your mortgage protection. It is possible for the underwriter to agree to a reduced MPI amount to help you with repayments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 igord

How likely is a waiver though? We are dealing with this situation right now and had one-half refusal (joint MPI/one applicant refused), and now applied to two more in hopes of a different result. In case of the 3way strike, we will need to try the waiver, just checking if someone actually managed to get one with BOI?

The whole business is so shady and unregulated that it makes me sick. No clear rules on MPI, can't do it ahead of other steps in the mortgage process (without being sale agreed upon), just a step that can mess up your whole life and be left out for subjective interpretation...

How can the UK, Canada, and Aus have mortgages without compulsory MPI but Ireland puts in law with the worst of everything?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Nothing happens the mortgage. It needs to be paid back. Either the person who is still living continues to pay the mortgage every month. Or else the house needs to be sold to pay off the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

@igord

There is nothing to stop you taking out life cover before you have gone sale agreed. Or at least getting quotes. 

If you know you have or have had a medical condition that could throw up problems then it's up to you to get ahead of it and have your paperwork in order. 

We built an extension on 2018 and I'd been diagnosed with Hemochromatosis, or Iron overload that can damage your liver and heart. It's easily treated and managed. 

When we applied for a mortgage top up I had a letter from my consultant, that I was diagnosed on time and expected to live a normal life span. 

I'd a letter from the nurse treating me that I was responding well to treatment and I'd set of blood test. I'd no problem getting insurance as result. 

I spoke to Nick in Lion, he was very helpful, but ended up going with Irish life as we already had a policy with them from our first mortgage.

How do you take out a MPI cover without knowing the mortgage amount? Also where exactly do you get the detail which conditions are accepted and which are not. Just for clarity only thing I have is a well-regulated elevated blood pressure (same as 10-20% people over 40).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

First time around I got a quote for 260 as I knew we would be borrowing that or less and we got a level pay policy. Second time I got a reducing cover one for a little more that we intended borrowing to give a buffer. Its a quote and a run through the questions to see if there are any catches, you don't need the exact figure just prove you can get cover.

If you've high blood pressure see if your health insurance covers a check up medical and get one, you can give the results to the insurance. That is if you are confident it will be ok. That might get you over the line.

Thanks for that info, I will see how it goes with other two insurers we applied with and then figure out our next steps. The one that declined didn't even send the reason after a full week to us. They even said they can review again pending further medical evaluation with no details to it. I called each day during review to check if they need any further info and the answer was that they have all they need. I don't like it one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I don't get it, how does that even work? If you don't put down your GP, to whom does the PMA go to then? A consultant would not have your full medical history and could not answer the questions in the PMA. If in the second stage in a follow-up to the PMA you could point them to a consultant's letter and/or consultant for detailed answers, that would be beneficial, I can see that. But the insurance companies don't want to engage with you, just your GP. If your GP does not provide the detail needed and does not clarify everything properly (which seems to have happened to me) you are going to get a refusal or a steep rate at best. Again, I feel the 'system' is seriously flawed.

Hello,

We had applied for mortgage protection and got it approved. We still have time for the drawdown. I had a medical test from my office and waiting on results. Do I need to share the results with the insurance provider since it's already approved?

I am a bit worried because of our family history with type 2 diabetes and High blood pressure.

Do people will type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes and high Blood Pressure get mortgage protection?

During the test they we checking my blood pressure and it was high because I was nervous.

Please advice if i should inform the insurance company Incase the report indicates higher readings.

We have already signed contracts and paid the deposit and worried about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭phormium

Yes I would, if you have not yet activated the mortgage protection then you are obliged to advise them of anything new that happens, read the small print to see their actual wording but I'd be surprised if it doesn't say something to that effect.

Depending on what if anything comes out of it that will determine if there is a change in the policy, my BP is always sky high when a doc is taking it, white coat syndrome! They usually insist I do a 24 hr monitor thing which I hate but it's usually relatively ok on that.

• Advertisement

It does actually.

I am not yet registered to any GP, so was wondering if I could go and not declare.. get the mortgage drawn and then in the subsequent year declare?

Not sure how it works here, if I am not registered to any GP will they have access to my records?

You would most likely invalidate your policy should you be unfortunate enough to have a claim if you deliberately delay the notfying them, ask the company what you can do about the GP bit, perhaps the report from the company that did the tests will suffice. I presume this was some sort of workplace screening? Too late now but I wouldn't have been going for anything medical not essential until that was drawn down!

Yea realized that. I was just thinking since I don't have any register gp and medical history here in Ireland and this being a company screening, there would be no way it goes on record?

If something does show up I can do a retest a year later and then declare ? I know it's not ideal..

Well I can't help you if you are determined to go the 'non-disclosure' route other than advise that you declare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Yes.

Ulster Bank were more open to it, which is not helpful now, but a broker can advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kaidan

It's because Laya is the only one that offers mortgage protection with an "automated underwriter" online, no need setting up a meeting with an advisor telling you everything will be alright, here's your quote, give us your bank details, like these are all it, only to be followed by a more specific questionnaire and of course by declaring your condition, will go to the underwriter.

Laya's automated "underwriter" online application makes it easier to just lie. Actually when you declare your condition in their online questionnaire, the payment will not proceed and they will ask you to ring them, and of course expect to be refused cover by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kaidan

Same here. I'm not getting the touted great experience with Nick, he's pretty dismissive in fact. I don't get where the raving reviews are coming from. And now that you mentioned it, yeah I'm also a foreigner in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Hey, Just saw your message. Yes it was the same for her immediately, I just don't think he want's the hassle. You are better off trying a local mortgage brokers in your town to be honest. That is what we did and they were important in her getting MPI and the mortgage eventually. IF you want any more information give me a shout.

Advertisement