Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mediation - Where Do I Look?

• 24-11-2020 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

After 14 years together the relationship between my partner and I has broken down to a point that it's not fixable. We have a three and a half year old to take into account. I'd like to remain on good terms for the sake of our wonderful daughter but my partner doesn't.
    She seems intent on refusing to acknowledge that we don't have a healthy relationship and today was the final straw for me. I stated that we would be looking into mediation in the new year.

So, where does one go for this? Are there any services anyone can recommend? Is it costly? What's involved exactly?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Legal Aid Board run a free family mediation service which, as far as I can see, hires independent mediators to engage with couples. Do you're getting the same person you would if you hired them privately but for free.

The problem I'd worry about in this situation is that of one side not realising or accepting the end of the relationship. Mediation is not counselling. Both parties have to independently request it. And it doesn't sound likely you'll have that. So you may have to go first to legal, who are obliged to recommend mediation be attempted first, then wind it back to "agree to try" mediation.

Crap situation to be in. Look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Susiepringle

Have a look on citizens information. I got the number for family mediation there and applied for legal aid afterwards. It's a good system if you can both stay calm and works well for many couples. Best of luck

Advertisement