Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI Vs ACCA 2020?

• 17-11-2020 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey everyone,

I’ve decided to change my career and after a consultation with a guidance counselor, I feel I would be a good fit for accountancy. I already have a degree in humanities (about as far from accounting as one can get!). I have an aptitude for maths but the only accounting I did in school was Business Studies for Junior Cert.

I’m investigating ATI and ACCA and am really unsure of which to choose. I know this has been discussed in other threads. I have read as many as I can.

I like the sound of ATI because it’s a structured programme and more Irish based. There would probably be a greater chance of meeting or connecting with aspiring Irish accountants by doing this course. I wouldn’t like to feel isolated doing it by myself. On the other hand it is very expensive as the fees have to be paid immediately.

I’m doing some ACCA courses in relation to FA1 as I’m starting from scratch. I’m doing it to get a feel for accounting before I take the leap. So far, not too bad.

My ultimate goal is to become a fully qualified accountant. The main worry I have is getting work experience/entry level job/foot in the door. Would ATI allow me to do this much faster or would I be better off going the ACCA route? At what point in ACCA did you find work? Were they willing to take you on in spite of lack of experience?

I considered doing doing another degree but it makes it extra long to get to the goal. I’m 30 next year and don’t fancy being in college at 34!

Thanks. Sorry if I’m going on about subjects that have already been discussed.

Comments

Skip AIT and go straight into ACCA. ACCA had regional papers, most specifically tax. Accounting is more universal now, but probably set in an Irish scenario... or maybe they have universal accounting and auditing papers now. Its been a while :D

If you want to be a qualified accountant take the 'full fat' course.

I started off in Practice with about 8 exams. Really enjoyed it but the money was tragic !

You can do evening courses where you'll meet likeminded souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

Bluebell91 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I’ve decided to change my career and after a consultation with a guidance counselor, I feel I would be a good fit for accountancy. I already have a degree in humanities (about as far from accounting as one can get!). I have an aptitude for maths but the only accounting I did in school was Business Studies for Junior Cert.

I’m investigating ATI and ACCA and am really unsure of which to choose. I know this has been discussed in other threads. I have read as many as I can.

I like the sound of ATI because it’s a structured programme and more Irish based. There would probably be a greater chance of meeting or connecting with aspiring Irish accountants by doing this course. I wouldn’t like to feel isolated doing it by myself. On the other hand it is very expensive as the fees have to be paid immediately.

I’m doing some ACCA courses in relation to FA1 as I’m starting from scratch. I’m doing it to get a feel for accounting before I take the leap. So far, not too bad.

My ultimate goal is to become a fully qualified accountant. The main worry I have is getting work experience/entry level job/foot in the door. Would ATI allow me to do this much faster or would I be better off going the ACCA route? At what point in ACCA did you find work? Were they willing to take you on in spite of lack of experience?

I considered doing doing another degree but it makes it extra long to get to the goal. I’m 30 next year and don’t fancy being in college at 34!

Thanks. Sorry if I’m going on about subjects that have already been discussed.

Go straight to ACCA. It's a hard slog but its universally recognised. Professional qualifications never go out of date academic ones do.

Also alot of senior non accountant positions are held by qualified accountants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Taxman2020

Hi,

Have you considered a Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting (conversion course). It will get you lots of ACCA exemptions in one year (as well as Chartered ATI etc). Trinity, DIT, Maynooth, and GMIT definitely do one.

GMIT's is available as part of the July Stimulus. Deadline was 30th of Nov but still taking apps as far as I know.

Taxman2020 wrote: »
    Hi,

Have you considered a Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting (conversion course). It will get you lots of ACCA exemptions in one year (as well as Chartered ATI etc). Trinity, DIT, Maynooth, and GMIT definitely do one.

GMIT's is available as part of the July Stimulus. Deadline was 30th of Nov but still taking apps as far as I know.

OP has possibly expended their full efforts towards a career in accountancy by writing the OP. No effort to continue his thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 semcleary

Op may be gone but I'm liking the information :) I'm currently a carpenter looking to retrain as an accountant ! Money is a bit of an issue so I will have to be smart in my process of course but I was thinking of doing the ACCA exams on my own time and money and then switching over to a full time accountant if this is possible at what exam should I consider transferring over? or should I go through ATI and do a diploma over the next 2 years then start ACCA ?
    All and any information would be great . Thanks very much :)
    Information*

• Advertisement

semcleary wrote: »
    Op may be gone but I'm liking the information :) I'm currently a carpenter looking to retrain as an accountant ! Money is a bit of an issue so I will have to be smart in my process of course but I was thinking of doing the ACCA exams on my own time and money and then switching over to a full time accountant if this is possible at what exam should I consider transferring over? or should I go through ATI and do a diploma over the next 2 years then start ACCA ?
    Information*

Hi, did you do the LC or any third level course before?

I did just the LC with no business :O I'm now mature student age though

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Information*
    You will need to do 3 years work experience in order to qualify. You can do this during the exams if you wish.

So I'll need to do 3 years work experience whilst I do how many exams or is that just for ATI?
    I was thinking of doing some thing like getting so many exams done part time and make a switch some where after the basic exams

I did just the LC with no business :O I'm now mature student age though

If its been a few years since the LC you might want to start with ATI. And, you should be fine to work away as a carpenter. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Information*

Possible, yes definitely!

Have you checked if your qualifications to date will allow you direct entry to ACCA?

If not, you can do either ATI or ACCA's own equivalent 'Foundations in Accounting' which get you exemptions from the first three exams in the main ACCA qualification. (Not sure which of these courses is cheaper all in, but I think ACCA give the 3 exemptions free if you go with them from the outset, you'd need to check if you go ATI and transfer if you have to pay for the exemptions.)

If you have an aptitude for accounting, and can go straight in, I think skipping the technician qualification and just starting off ACCA is the way to go IMHO. Should save money and time.

Depending on how good you are at learning from books by your self ACCA can be done affordably with flexibility. For me, I learn when taught so needed to spend on courses to stay on track and get through it. Later on you may have more cash or an employer willing to pay and can get tuition for tougher subjects (it can be more important for technique in exams than knowledge).

After you have the first 3 ACCA exams done, they will give you a Cert for a Diploma in Business & Accounting (always nice to stick on the CV) as well as being part qualified.

I always think once you have those first few, you can start looking for entry level accounting jobs in industry (with or without study support) or a training contract in practice. You'll have proven your aptitude.

I got a training contract with 5 done, but I had started them while working in an office doing a bit of accounting for a company. (I had done an academic degree, just not in business or accounting.)

Money varies a lot depending on level of study support, size of company and location (e.g. Dublin vs. Rural), but after a couple of long years it does get better.

I'm biased as it was the right route for me, but if you think you'd be a good fit, I encourage anyone to try.

At the outset I told myself I was committing to the registration fee, first year membership, and cost to sit 3 exams. I'd give them a proper go and if I decided it was the wrong move, I could walk away. I obviously kept going.

Hopefully some others will have additional perspective on your potential move. Best of luck!

So I'll need to do 3 years work experience whilst I do how many exams or is that just for ATI?
    I was thinking of doing some thing like getting so many exams done part time and make a switch some where after the basic exams

That's the best option, thats what I did.

Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge I appreciate it ! I can't afford to go full time study so I will probably go the part time study route for the first while and get a taste for it and in time make a committed move. I'll never be the highest grade but I'll be all gas no brakes!

Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge I appreciate it ! I can't afford to go full time study so I will probably go the part time study route for the first while and get a taste for it and in time make a committed move. I'll never be the highest grade but I'll be all gas no brakes!

With ACCA, these days there is no time limit until you start the last 4 papers I believe. With 4 chances to sit a year (most papers, not Irish tax possibly?), you can pick them off as you cash and time allow, without committing to much in one go.

As many of the lecturers I attended said, it's about getting 50%, that's a pass and anything more is wasted effort - no one will ask what you got in an exam when you are qualified! :D

oh thats not too bad at all but I think I'll try get through them as quick as my little brain can go ! The body won't hold out forever ! 51 will do me so !
    Also in your job is it useful to be comfortable with excel or spreadsheets ? any of them give a benefit ?

Also in your job is it useful to be comfortable with excel or spreadsheets ? any of them give a benefit ?

An almost universal requirement I would suggest.

Great will just need a refresher on small bits !

oh thats not too bad at all but I think I'll try get through them as quick as my little brain can go ! The body won't hold out forever ! 51 will do me so !

Never too late to do it!

Good excel skills will probably be as important to get you an entry level accounting job as having a couple of exams under your belt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

No, not necessarily. For ACCA, you can do the experience at any stage as far as I know. I was just pointing out that it was a requirement.

Advertisement