Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New RTE Player

• 01-12-2018 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I saw on Twitter that there's a new player in the works. Just a coming soon. Anyone out there have an idea on a date? I think I'm getting my hopes up too high expecting some cross platform rollout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,114 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

JMcGee wrote: »
    I saw on Twitter that there's a new player in the works. Just a coming soon. Anyone out there have an idea on a date? I think I'm getting my hopes up too high expecting some cross platform rollout.

If it has the current setup of ads it will be still be pure rubbish no matter what improvements it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

If it has the current setup of ads it will be still be pure rubbish no matter what improvements it has.

If they just copied the BBC iPlayer in terms of app layout and content delivery, they'd have a lot of happy users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

So we want RTE to invest in a significant technology refresh, want it to be free and don’t want it to have any advertising?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

meep wrote: »
    So we want a technology refresh, want it to be free and don’t want it to have any advertising?

No, not necessarily no ads - just this thing of watching 2 minutes of ads as soon as you start - potentially getting an error where you can't start your programme, then having to start all over with your minutes of ads. There are better ways.

I'm hoping to see better Chromecast abilities more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

JMcGee wrote: »

I'm sure they said it was coming at the start of 2018 and that was delayed from some time in 2017.

• Advertisement

So we want RTE to invest in a significant technology refresh, want it to be free and don’t want it to have any advertising?

TV license fees won't cover it? To be honest, I'd be fine with ads the same way they are shown on the regular broadcast. Just once they are not the same ones over and over.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'm sure they said it was coming at the start of 2018 and that was delayed from some time in 2017.

Their Twitter page is all decked out with a new logo and "something's coming" banner. Apparently there was some launch party recently also. But not putting it live the next day is unusual. That would be major egg on the face if it turns out to be another 6 months though.

Hopefully it happens soon as it is long overdue. It is baffling to me how chromecast works with iOS devices while android doesn't have it at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The adverts at the start are a massive bug bearer for me. I’m not force to watch two minutes of ads when I switch on my TV, I’m not sure why I should be forced to do it when I stream RTE One or Two live, particularly during live “event” programming. It has meant missing goals/tries. And if you’re travelling, every time the stream drops you have to watch the two minutes again.

It’s not a problem when you watch on Sky Go incidentally, but some live sports events are blocked on Sky Go but not on RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,114 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They take in plenty of money to pay for it with minimal or no advertising yet choose to spend almost 3 times the licence fee money for the entire annual online budget per year on the rich mans Orchestras (yes 2 there's 2 RTE Orchestras), joke of an organisation.

?width=630&version=3502480

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-losses-2016-2-3502547-Jul2017/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They take in plenty of money to pay for it with minimal or no advertising yet choose to spend almost 3 times the licence fee money for the entire annual online budget per year on the rich mans Orchestras (yes 2 there's 2 RTE Orchestras), joke of an organisation.

?width=630&version=3502480

https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-losses-2016-2-3502547-Jul2017/

RTÉ have to spend that on the NSO and NCO, the NSO is likely to exit RTÉ in 2021 and merge with the NCH, wonder who will foot the bill?

Take a closer look at the last 15 years of RTÉ budget and see IMO the stand out figure and it’s not the Music Groups. I posted it here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057497434&page=20

Also the new RTÉ player is due this month.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A brand new RTÉ Player is coming to you very soon ✨ new look, new shows, new everything! Watch this space �� <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/rteplayer?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#rteplayer</a&gt; <a href="https://t.co/wTbEbEfdin">pic.twitter.com/wTbEbEfdin</a></p>&mdash; RTÉ Player (@RTEplayer) <a href=" 22, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js&quot; charset="utf-8"></script>

https://twitter.com/RTEplayer/status/1065654210300182528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/RTEplayer/status/1065654210300182528

Elmo, you didn't read the first post, did ya? :) The problem with this tweet is that it's just "Coming Soon". I just hope it's not Duke Nukem grade coming soon.

Looks like it's being released tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

It'll have chromecast for Android.

A new logo and red and white colour scheme it seems. Interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

icdg wrote: »
    A new logo and red and white colour scheme it seems. Interesting.

You'd think Virgin were far more recognisable as the red and white channel :o

You'd think Virgin were far more recognisable as the red and white channel :o

Funny I would have said it is more of a pinkish red.

Off topic but ever since TV3 rebranded I’ve been confused between the iOS icons for Virgin Media Player and YouTube - they are practically the inverse colours of each other. So I rather fear RTE have caused more confusion by choosing the same colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I'll give them one more chance to get this right. If it's still buggy/rubbish, I'll never even try it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Yes. I'm sure cutting D'Arcy & Tubs wages in half would go a long way to paying for it alone.

What time is it updating?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Be nice if it was supported by Xbox or PS4. It's only a pipe dream.

Be nice if it was supported by Xbox or PS4. It's only a pipe dream.

I'm holding out for the Apple TV pipe dream :)
    Now that they are using HTML5 it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to port it to other platforms.

I take it that it's not happening today?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭portach king

Not the best start if they miss their launch day, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Will it still tell me I have an ad blocker when I don't?

It seems to be delayed, though they are still going ahead with their first “RTE Player Original”, The Doireann (Garrighty) Project at 9pm tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭portach king

icdg wrote: »
    It seems to be delayed, though they are still going ahead with their first “RTE Player Original”, The Doireann (Garrighty) Project at 9pm tonight.

I watched the ad for that.... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

They have tweeted that they are putting the finishing touches to app it won't be ready for a number of days by the look of it

Advertisement