Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for furnishing council house

• 10-11-2015 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,
    I've just been informed that Dublin City Council has allocated a 3 bedroom house for myself and 3 children i'm absolutely thrilled about getting a home for us and being able to get back to normality but the only thing i actually own are the clothes on our backs. I was private renting for the past 9 nearly 10 years up until Dec 2014 when my landlord sold the apartment any belongings i had built up throughout the years i had to leave behind because i had nowhere to store them and since then myself and the kids have been staying with family and friends. I've heard i can claim a grant to help with flooring and white goods but to be honest i really wouldn't know where to start i only started claiming one parent family awhile after we became homeless i've never had to ask for handouts like that before and i find it really embarrassing asking for help.
    So I'm just wondering if anyone that has been in a similar situation could point me in the right direction please. Thanks in advance.
    (And yes i am a single parent but not by choice my 3 children's father passed away just after our youngest child was born)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/applying_for_local_authority_housing.html

Local authority housing is unfurnished. If you are offered a local authority home and you do not have and cannot afford to buy furniture or appliances, you may be eligible for help under the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme.

You need to contact your local office. A list of offices are here https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/otheroffice/community-welfare-office-contact.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 19 calyxx

It's a old Dublin City Council house from what iv'e been told so far it's just bare floors and walls so I'd be basicly starting from scratch.
    I'm over the moon about the house but i'm stressing and worrying that much i can't even sleep.
    Thank you for the information i'll get straight on to them tomorrow and try figure out what's what, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Try St Vincent de Paul in your area. They may be able to help you too.
    https://www.svp.ie/get-help/how-we-can-help.aspx
    They have a contact page there as well.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Look on jumbletown and other free recycling sites. See what you can get for free. There are some give away face book groups , "eg Ballyfermot buy sell swap goods"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Definitely try svdp. Also adverts and other sites for free stuff and then replace with new if and when you can afford it. Also put up wanted ads for the items you need. You should get a supplement from the cwo so try get in to them asap but you will need to bring evidence you have been offered housing. Congrats on your new home and best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

Please also check out the classified section of rollercoaster.ie. theres a " hand it on for free" section, I would nearly guarantee that others mom's on the site will have household stuff in good condition to help you out. Use whatever second hand or cheap ikea stuff that you can get your hands on and hopefully in time you will be able to buy nicer things.
    Best of luck in your new home,

Thanks very much for all your advice i'm definitely going to follow up an try all the pages you's have suggested fingers crossed i'll find a few things.
    I phoned the local cwo this morning but until i have the letter stating i'm in the house they won't tell me much there very vague about it.
    i'm not worried about having the best of everything as long as the kids have a bed to sleep in and somewhere to eat i'll be more than happy i know eventually when i'm back on my feet i'll be able to put a decent home around us.
    Thanks very much for all the well wishes for our new home it means a lot thanks.

I've just been talking to a girl who recently moved in to a council house. It's in Kildare. Once she got the keys a man from the cwo called out and inspected the place. He then has the power to grant up to €3200. He told her right there and then how much she would get but it needed to get approval but it was a formality. She had her cheque within a week.

Thanks Ken, maybe that's what will happen when i get the keys i have a letter saying i have been accepted for the house but the cwo said that doesn't count until i have the house,
    I really didn't think they would grant that much if that was the case i'd probably be in a better situation then most people starting off. I feel really stupid panicking about it i should be just counting my blessings for a roof over our heads.

Yeah, they need to inspect first to see what's needed. Be warned they can decide you get €0 but I doubt that'll happen in your case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

May be a bit odd also, but ask any local property rental firms if they have older stock going spare.
    Where I live the biggest property dealer has a warehouse full of stuff which was taken from houses that either sits there or is used to replace broken stuff in rental houses. Either way anytime someone has asked for something he was more than happy to give it out.

Might help!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

calyxx wrote: »
    Thanks Ken, maybe that's what will happen when i get the keys i have a letter saying i have been accepted for the house but the cwo said that doesn't count until i have the house,
    I really didn't think they would grant that much if that was the case i'd probably be in a better situation then most people starting off. I feel really stupid panicking about it i should be just counting my blessings for a roof over our heads.

The average seems to be 1000-1200 wouldn't be expecting the figure quoted above depending on county and what's needed

I should have clarified, The woman I know didn't get €3200. That's the max. She says she got €1500.

allibastor wrote: »
    May be a bit odd also, but ask any local property rental firms if they have older stock going spare.
    Where I live the biggest property dealer has a warehouse full of stuff which was taken from houses that either sits there or is used to replace broken stuff in rental houses. Either way anytime someone has asked for something he was more than happy to give it out.

Might help!

I never even taught of anything like that and there's a few landlords around my local area i could ask it would be no harm in asking, thanks.

Gatling wrote: »
    The average seems to be 1000-1200 wouldn't be expecting the figure quoted above depending on county and what's needed

To be honest i wouldn't be expecting anywhere near that amount im just going to try buy whatever i can second hand so it will just be the likes of kitchen appliances i'll need hopefully ill get the bulk of items on the buy and sell sites

To be honest i wouldn't be expecting anywhere near that amount im just going to try buy whatever i can second hand so it will just be the likes of kitchen appliances i'll need hopefully ill get the bulk of items on the buy and sell sites

Get what you need first and foremost if your getting white goods with the grant you will be asked to provide 2-3 quotes for cookers ,fridges and so on first and before the cwo signs off on cheques ,
    There been some very useful info posted by others definitely worth checking out ,

Congratulations on the house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

Congratulations on the house and sorry to hear about the passing of your partner.
    There is a Facebook group called Dublin Mamas Freecycle. Lots of lovely mamas giving away great things. I am sure you would find some stuff there. All the best of luck.

Gatling wrote: »
    Get what you need first and foremost if your getting white goods with the grant you will be asked to provide 2-3 quotes for cookers ,fridges and so on first and before the cwo signs off on cheques ,
    There been some very useful info posted by others definitely worth checking out ,

Congratulations on the house :)

I'd actually love not to bother the cwo for anything at all but i don't know how i'd manage otherwise so the least i need help with the better. I've been told about getting quotes for the cwo but the cheapest place ive found for white goods seems to be Argos and they won't give quotes. I've checked out most of the sites people recommended and sorted a few things now. Thanks very much for the info and thanks for the well wishes on the house it really means allot.

happydayz8 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the house and sorry to hear about the passing of your partner.
    There is a Facebook group called Dublin Mamas Freecycle. Lots of lovely mamas giving away great things. I am sure you would find some stuff there. All the best of luck.
    Thanks very much it's been a very tough time for myself and the kids since my partner's passing but i'm hoping this is the start of things finally looking up for us, I'll definitely check out that group anything is worth a try now. Thanks

I'd actually love not to bother the cwo for anything at all but i don't know how i'd manage otherwise so the least i need help with the better. I've been told about getting quotes for the cwo but the cheapest place ive found for white goods seems to be Argos and they won't give quotes. I've checked out most of the sites people recommended and sorted a few things now. Thanks very much for the info and thanks for the well wishes on the house it really means allot.

A quote from Argos would be their catalogue. Just get a catalogue and circle the item. Same for say Harvey Norman. Get one of their handouts and circle the item. That should cover you. The CWO know big places like Argos,HN, etc don't give quotes.

• Advertisement

So far from most of the sites suggested here ive sorted out 3 beds for the kids there practicality brand new and for less then €200 for the 3 of them so that's a weight lifted off my shoulders. Since they told me about the house ive been saving a few bob each week so it's going to good use now it's only small but it's a start.

ken wrote: »
    A quote from Argos would be their catalogue. Just get a catalogue and circle the item. Same for say Harvey Norman. Get one of their handouts and circle the item. That should cover you. The CWO know big places like Argos,HN, etc don't give quotes.
    I never even taught of that that's exactly what i'll do i get a catalogue first thing and have things marked out. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Once you get a few things sorted & now that you have some ideas about what to do, you'll be less panicked & able to enjoy moving in more. I'm sure it'll be the start of things looking up for you.
    Well done on the beds - a great start!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Sounds like you're making progress! Well done. Good luck in your new home. You seem like someone who is very determined to make the most of everything you have, in spite of going through a very tough time. Its great to see someone getting a bit of good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Congratulations on the house :D
    Go into PowerCity,DID etc they'll do quotes (and probally a discount if getting few things) the independent small ones are also good for discounts.
    Also remember ask CWO also bout curtains (even just get heavy first much harder pickup and you'll need) pots/pans/plates/bedding etc it all adds up but most you'll get on sites free or cheap.
    If your on facebook type area/freebies/buy/sell (mess around with combinations) and you'll find lots sites ;)
    New year New house Fresh start Good luck :)

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    Go into PowerCity,DID etc they'll do quotes (and probally a discount if getting few things) the independent small ones are also good for discounts.

This is also true most people I know a few people used power city for their white goods for quotes and the like of Smyths for buggies if needed I've not heard of using catolouges for quotes though I'd ask just in case

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP, where is your new home?
    General location, not the exact address.

April 73 wrote: »
    Once you get a few things sorted & now that you have some ideas about what to do, you'll be less panicked & able to enjoy moving in more. I'm sure it'll be the start of things looking up for you.
    Well done on the beds - a great start![/quote It's only small but it's a start, I'd never even heard of most of the pages or sites until this thread and since i checked them out i feel much more at ease because i know it's possible to do it on a low budget. Thanks very much i'm hoping our luck has finally started to change now.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're making progress! Well done. Good luck in your new home. You seem like someone who is very determined to make the most of everything you have, in spite of going through a very tough time. Its great to see someone getting a bit of good luck!
    Thank you i'm getting there slowly but surely i went from having everything to having basically nothing in such a short space of time i don't think i ever would've got trough it all only for the attitude i have on life there's always someone worse off then yourself. I know it will take time but i've no doubt i'll get there eventually, Thanks

• Advertisement

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    Also remember ask CWO also bout curtains (even just get heavy first much harder pickup and you'll need) pots/pans/plates/bedding etc it all adds up but most you'll get on sites free or cheap.
    If your on facebook type area/freebies/buy/sell (mess around with combinations) and you'll find lots sites ;)
    New year New house Fresh start Good luck :)

Thanks very much for all the info i'm going to make a start on all the likes of that asap if i'm picking up little bits i won't feel it adding up, Thanks for the well wishes it means a lot.

Advertisement