Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

icdg wrote: »
    Meanwhile, yesterday's Business Post reports that 3e will be getting a new on air look towards the end of the year.

Thank god. It's desperately in need of a change. Any other information about it, like new programmes, or would it be a case of new idents. It's a pity Conan completely disappeared.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

no worries about Rabbitt making any decision then as by the time its concluded there will be a reshuffle of Minisiters.

His predecessor made lasting decisions just as he walked out of the door for the last time.

He could allow RTE to have advertising on RTE NN and use the wastes time of RTE 1+1 to be used for RTE Plus, and RTE 2 not have to broadcast childrens programmes while RTE Jr does the job. It would allow RTE greater ad revenue, not all coming from TV3 - most would come from UK broadcasters.

This would allow RTE to fund a real news channel, and provide enough income to justify FOUR tv channels that they have to pay for using revenue from TWO.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Elmo wrote: »
    Though IMO what it has shown is the clear fact that all broadcasters are afraid of change and Irish broadcaster have been unable to change for their ownsake.

Irish TV view is down from 55% in 2006 to less than 45% in 2013. (Excluding UTV).

TV3 need someone with an ounce of balls to tell them that what they will have in 2015 is **** and they need to develop their schedule before the **** hits the fan.

TV3 had some of the most potentially interesting projects funded in the last BAI round. They received part funding for two drama projects by up and coming Irish directors - Mark O Connor's Cardboard Gangsters and Gerard Barrett's Apostles.

These projects will most likely form part of their schedule in 2015. I think it's definitely a step in the right direction for the channel and looks to me like they are actively seeking to work with young Irish talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

tv3 though for all their bravado etc will have to face harsh reality in 2015. Advertisers only pay top rate for guaranteed ratings content like Coronation Street and Emmerdale, despite what they say about it being a loss leader for what they were asked to renew it for. The public service BAI funded programmes have not rated well on tv3 in the most and for a purely commerical station BAI funding does not make a viable long term business if you cant get enough advertising revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TV3 had some of the most potentially interesting projects funded in the last BAI round. They received part funding for two drama projects by up and coming Irish directors - Mark O Connor's Cardboard Gangsters and Gerard Barrett's Apostles.

These projects will most likely form part of their schedule in 2015. I think it's definitely a step in the right direction for the channel and looks to me like they are actively seeking to work with young Irish talent.

So the tax payer bails them out of the loans from Anglo Irish and then the Licence fee bails them out of their commercial losses in 2015.

I though it was interesting that in that round of BAI funding that TV3 did so well, it was as if the BAI want to some how protect TV3 as they have done in the past. I think that round was the best ever round for TV3.

The loss of these shows is good for competition but having TV3, RTÉ ONE and UTV chase after a mainstream audience will see one of them fail. TV3 need to be aware of this. It will be interesting to see how well UTV do with the S&V fund.

Cardboard Gangsters seem underfunded in comparison to the two other dramas.

The other problem that BAI programming has on TV3 is that it surrounded by numerous of cheap news docs from TV3. And audiences see TV3 programming in that light.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

iseegirls wrote: »
    Thank god. It's desperately in need of a change. Any other information about it, like new programmes, or would it be a case of new idents. It's a pity Conan completely disappeared.

They're looking for students to submit ideas for idents. Nothing concrete in terms of programming other than a general move towards more home produced programmes and event driven content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

I'd pay out of my own pocket to have Sinead Desmond sacked....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I'd pay out of my own pocket to have Sinead Desmond sacked....

sinead desmond is ok

irelandam makes me to go to work early

ftakeith wrote: »
    sinead desmond is ok

Is that a back handed compliment?

Interest to see 3e change, damn pay wall!

sinead desmond is ok

Jesus wept

• Advertisement

Next person to make a comment on anyone's appearance gets a 48 hour ban. I meant it when I said this isn't After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

icdg wrote: »
    They're looking for students to submit ideas for idents. Nothing concrete in terms of programming other than a general move towards more home produced programmes and event driven content.

Too broke to pay an Agency then?

watty wrote: »
    Too broke to pay an Agency then?

http://www.businessandleadership.com/marketing/item/46415-3e-inviting-students-to-be/

To be honest students will prob do a better job though bet they are constrained by the logo.

Bizzaro branding of website www.3eTV.ie, why not www.tv3e.ie?

Stupid name for a channel

THREEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Backward steps

Ireland-channel-6.jpg

140px-3e%28tvchannel%29logo.png

I'm more surprised it has got its own website once again. At the time of the relaunch they were plugging tv3.ie as the "third arm of the TV3 Group" but obviously that strategy has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I think that 3e need to be more like e4, having more us programs and some Irish. They should stop repeating shows that were shown on tv3 and stop showing documentary on 3e and leave them on tv3.

I think that 3e need to be more like e4, having more us programs and some Irish. They should stop repeating shows that were shown on tv3 and stop showing documentary on 3e and leave them on tv3.

Repeating 3 hours of Ireland AM, and 2 hours of Midday and Late Lunch is ridiculous for a channel that is supposed to be about entertainment.

On another note, Tales Of Irish Castles starts this Sunday at 6:15pm. A very odd slot, and is up against the news and a new nature doc on RTE at the same time. It goes to prove how little they believe in this show, when programmes after it are a 3rd showing of Family Fortunes, and a 2nd showing of Mr And Mrs. They should be promoting their original homegrown shows at a better time.

And don't get me started on repeats of Ant And Dec's Sat Night Takeaway which are on Saturday at 7pm. These are episodes broadcast from a year and half ago. Such lazy scheduling.

I saw in today's irish mail on sunday

that xpose will run for another 30minutes longer when emmerdale starts on utvI in 2015

great proposed 2015 tv3 innovation

what next bring back the 530pm tv3 weekend news for 2015

another political show for ursula halligan

iseegirls wrote: »
    On another note, Tales Of Irish Castles starts this Sunday at 6:15pm. A very odd slot, and is up against the news and a new nature doc on RTE at the same time.

Both RTÉ and TV3 gave bad times to two BAI funded programmes. IMO.
    that xpose will run for another 30minutes longer when emmerdale starts on utvI in 2015

That is seriously bad scheduling and programming making.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

cheap to produce and home made. fits tv3's claim that it really is an indigenous irish broadcaster that dosent rely on imports!

Maybe they'll have it live with studio guests along with features. Although it would be a huge struggle to fit 5 hours a week with fashion and entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

This really does prove they don't know what they're up to. Like it or not Xpose does do what it says on the tin and it works for the audience it's aimed at. It's possibly the only TV3 show that actually filled a gap in the market. However the length it's at right now is basically the length that audience is interested in. Make it longer and they'll drift away. Of course TV3 will then go and blame UTV for that as well.

This really does prove they don't know what they're up to. Like it or not Xpose does do what it says on the tin and it works for the audience it's aimed at. It's possibly the only TV3 show that actually filled a gap in the market. However the length it's at right now is basically the length that audience is interested in. Make it longer and they'll drift away. Of course TV3 will then go and blame UTV for that as well.

Even at 30mins 5 days a week Xposé is too much for a fairly niche market. As a brand it works, I wouldn't get rid of the show but I'd think of reducing it down to one hour long episode, with 5 different 30min shows from the production team.

TV3 will basically be wall to wall studio programming, this won't attract an audience.

Last time I checked Xposé has 60 to 90 thousand viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Not to be sexist but Women between the ages of 15 and 45 is a demographic and a niche within that.

So 90,000 people are going to watch the show, only so they can wait for Come Dine With Me. That's amazing analysis. :rolleyes:

The show provides an alternative to what else is available at that time - News (RTE1, BBC, ITV, 3e), The Simpsons (RTE2, Channel 4), Eggheads (BBC2)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

With it going to a hour, it will take up more time with repeats. They need to get away form cheap looking studio programming. They are looking to fill time now and if you they are filling time till there best program is on god help them because their best programs are ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

You'd be correct about people waiting for it to finish. It's one of those programmes certain people turn on because they don't want to watch the news. Those not in the know would underestimate how many people leave the TV on just for the sake of it. Advertisers have known about this for decades. The Test card on RTE 2 before the days of Aertel used to get 30,000 viewers (and more) if music was played along with it.

Do the Xpose makers and presenters actually realise how vacuous the whole shebang is?

• Advertisement

is 'come dine with me' an itv studios made programme

Advertisement