Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

The sad thing is, TV3 used to have some decent home made shows back in the day

Anyone remember The Sound Room with Darragh Purcell abck around 2000-ish?

It was like TV3's version of No Disco with guests and music debate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The sad thing is, TV3 used to have some decent home made shows back in the day

Anyone remember The Sound Room with Darragh Purcell abck around 2000-ish?

It was like TV3's version of No Disco with guests and music debate

PopOn3 I though it was call, bizzare name when it was generally Darrach Purcell try his best No Disco presenter impersonation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It is crazy that since Dynamite TV and Music3 finished, there hasn't been any music shows on TV3 in over 12 years now.

Always thought they would go down the 2TV route on a Sunday morning, when RTE2 dropped it in 2001. A perfect slot for 2 hours to fill, and I'm guessing it wouldn't cost too much money.

iseegirls wrote: »
    It is crazy that since Dynamite TV and Music3 finished, there hasn't been any music shows on TV3 in over 12 years now.

Always thought they would go down the 2TV route on a Sunday morning, when RTE2 dropped it in 2001. A perfect slot for 2 hours to fill, and I'm guessing it wouldn't cost too much money.

There is very little music TV on any channel, even the music channels. Most people go to You Tube to see videos. Internet Killed the Video Star.

Would love a weekly highlights show of all the Witnness/Oxegen hightlights of past years

I remember TV3 had exclusive rights to the first 3 years of Witnness back in 2000/2001/2002

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    There is very little music TV on any channel, even the music channels. Most people go to You Tube to see videos. Internet Killed the Video Star.

I still think there is space for a live interactive music show - something like MTV Select before, which had options for songs where viewers could vote to play. And then throw in some new Irish music, interviews etc. All the music channels on TV are English, so many Irish artists only known here are never seen on those.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

PopOn3 I though it was call, bizzare name when it was generally Darrach Purcell try his best No Disco presenter impersonation.
    Yeah, it was definitely Pop On 3.

They aired another music show too, which was more pop, the Pepsi Chart Show (I think the same that aired on Channel 5 at the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Well I've seen it all at this stage. TV3 has no coverage this weekend of the elections. Meanwhile Alan Cantwell has popped up on Irish TV with a 2 Hour Live Special on the elections. It's not polished by any means but it's a real effort and gesture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The producers for the VB show have quit.

The producers for the VB show have quit.

There seems to be a lot of reasons given for this but Vincent has always has a high turnover with his backroom staff, even when he was with RTE.

Having said that, if behind the scenes was tense, constant cuts by TV3 would be the tipping point for many. Hard to produce any show if you don't know what resources you'll have in a few weeks time. At this rate there will be no one left at TV3 by the end of the year, except for their CEO and Martin King!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Meanwhile... Brian Dowling sitting pretty with prime-time TV3 show

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/brian-dowling-sitting-pretty-with-primetime-tv3-show-30301067.html

Love the bit in the Article that

"The initial reaction I am getting from the ad agencies and big advertisers to our new line-up is extremely promising."

That's from commercial director Pat Kiely...In other words no sales yet!!!

Later in the article it goes on to say that it's a co-production with RDF, and if they're any sales aboard that TV3 will get 25%.
    It sound like TV3 are the innocent in this world, they take all the risks and if they pay off RDF will help to spend the money.

I just want Xpose to die a slow, horrible death

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Meanwhile... Brian Dowling sitting pretty with prime-time TV3 show

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/brian-dowling-sitting-pretty-with-primetime-tv3-show-30301067.html

Love the bit in the Article that

"The initial reaction I am getting from the ad agencies and big advertisers to our new line-up is extremely promising."

That's from commercial director Pat Kiely...In other words no sales yet!!!

Later in the article it goes on to say that it's a co-production with RDF, and if they're any sales aboard that TV3 will get 25%.
    It sound like TV3 are the innocent in this world, they take all the risks and if they pay off RDF will help to spend the money.

another non ground breaking show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

The Indo seems to be nothing but a press release vehicle for tv3 these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Brian Dowling .... dear merciful christ almighty :rolleyes: ...he would make Tubridy look like Johnny Carson.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Signing him from Channel 5? What has he been doing with them in recent times, as I'm sure he was booted from hosting the Big Brother show ages ago.

Did he do other stuff with C5?

byte wrote: »
    Signing him from Channel 5? What has he been doing with them in recent times, as I'm sure he was booted from hosting the Big Brother show ages ago.

Did he do other stuff with C5?

I don't think he has done anything with them since Big Brother. However, This is just a press release from TV3... You're not going to get the truth that he's been resting and they couldn't afford anyone else.

Is Dowling the Big Brother bloke?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

He was a Ryanair Cabin Steward. Then he won BB, the he has been the camp comedy turn on a few programmes like Wagon's den.

He was a Ryanair Cabin Steward. Then he won BB, the he has been the camp comedy turn on a few programmes like Wagon's den.

Ahh right.

MOD EDIT: DELETED

Ahh right.

MOD EDIT:DELETED.

So he has found his level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Brian Dowling has got a show on TV3 because he is no doubt cheap. MOD EDIT: DELETED. Bad move TV3.

Is he not still presenting Channel 5's Big Brother?

Is he not still presenting Channel 5's Big Brother?

Emma Willis presents Big Brother for Channel 5 now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

tv3 is trying to turn brian dowling into Ireland's alan carr
    so the chat show will an carbon copy of carr's chat show

ftakeith wrote: »
    tv3 is trying to turn brian dowling into Ireland's alan carr
    so the chat show will an carbon copy of carr's chat show

No, he's not going to be presenting a talk show for TV3. He's a presenter for their new Saturday night gameshow called Sitting on A Fortune which is going to be recording next month.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

This is the second time in two days I have had to give this warning. The next time I have to do so anywhere in the Broadcasting forum I will be handing a 48 ban to the offender.

To make this clear - the play the ball, not the man, applies as much to public figures as it does to posters here. At least posters here are here to defend themselves. Public figures are not.

There is to be NO personal attacks on public figures. I am not saying you cannot make fair criticism of decisions or policies but name calling will not be tolerated.

Now back on topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

To say that a tv personality annoys me aurally is a personal attack? Would that not be a reason for people to not watch his show?

You're gone over the top with this one.

Advertisement