Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fortnightly Marvel Graphic Novel Collection

• 21-01-2012 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

What is everyone making of the fornightly collection so far? Starting off with one of my favourite Spidey story arcs was a great start for me and I think it might help people who solely read one title, say x-men, branch out into the rest of the marvel universe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

jpcarlow wrote: »
    What is everyone making of the fornightly collection so far? Starting off with one of my favourite Spidey story arcs was a great start for me and I think it might help people who solely read one title, say x-men, branch out into the rest of the marvel universe

Expensive best to buy the novels elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Thats the problem though most of them aint widely available everywhere im liking it so far anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

It's just the one so far yeah?
    Think about doing the subscription so I wont forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

The second one is out now. I have subscribed directly from the website, Its a small saving and You can cancel at any time, Ill give it a few months and see how its going.
    http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/collection.html
    p.s. Forbidden Planet is still selling the first part for €3.99 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Bistoman wrote: »
    The second one is out now. I have subscribed directly from the website, Its a small saving and You can cancel at any time, Ill give it a few months and see how its going.
    http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/collection.html
    p.s. Forbidden Planet is still selling the first part for €3.99 :)

3rd one i s out 2mrw i believe, Iron Man Extremis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

I think its a great idea! I know the younger me would have loved it. I'll only be getting some of them to plug holes in my collection, but the Dark Phoenix stuff, in colour and in hardcover for less than a tenner? Thats great value to my mind.

Has anyone received their copy's in the Mail Yet? I subscribed last month and so far all I have received is a Mug!!! I was on the phone to the customer care ( I Called the UK number, But I think I was talking to a Lady in India) and they said I should wait another 5 to 10 working days, Not great service, I hope it gets better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 freckyginge

Bistoman wrote: »
    Has anyone received their copy's in the Mail Yet? I subscribed last month and so far all I have received is a Mug!!! I was on the phone to the customer care ( I Called the UK number, But I think I was talking to a Lady in India) and they said I should wait another 5 to 10 working days, Not great service, I hope it gets better.

i got mine all together last week .. the mug in one box and 2 issues and the dvd in another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mebrind

When was issue 3 of this meant to be out? It's Iron Man:Extremis

I've been looking in Eason's and a bunch of other newsagents/news stands that carried the previous issues, and I can't find it anywhere. I'm just not sure if I already missed it.

it came out nearly 2 weeks ago. ask if they have the back issues or if they'll order it in for you but do it soon because issue 4 is out wednesday

forbidden planet may have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

does anybody know what issue 4 will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mebrind

it came out nearly 2 weeks ago. ask if they have the back issues or if they'll order it in for you but do it soon because issue 4 is out wednesday

forbidden planet may have it

ah ****, shoulda guessed. They won't order back issues afaik, they wouldn't for issue 1 (which I was late for too but the newsstand guy outside easons happened to get some issue 1s like a couple weeks after easons stopped having it). Might check Reads

stuchyg wrote: »
    does anybody know what issue 4 will be

The ultimates - Superhuman
    collecting The Ultimates Issue 1-6

HULK ON RAMPAGE

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭click4444

Ask in Easons they dont put them out on show anymore, they will order them in for you and order you any back issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pariah

Has anyone that subscribed received their 2nd shipment? I subscribed, but so far all I've gotten is the one with the mug, dvd and 2 comics. I know they say a shipment every month, but I think it's getting alittle late...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 idwfan

Pariah wrote: »
    Has anyone that subscribed received their 2nd shipment? I subscribed, but so far all I've gotten is the one with the mug, dvd and 2 comics. I know they say a shipment every month, but I think it's getting alittle late...

I heard that the distributor very underestimated the demand for the books and is lagging behind with some deliveries. They promised to get back up to speed ASAP.

What did everyone think of The Birth of Venom?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 idwfan

I thought that the publisher did a good job of rounding up the pivotal points in the stroy. Bear in mind that it was several years in the making and having it boiled down to what we got was a good idea. One gripe though, it wasn't the best idea to put Todd McFarlane's name on the cover as he didn't do the entire book same with the writer.

idwfan wrote: »
    I thought that the publisher did a good job of rounding up the pivotal points in the stroy. Bear in mind that it was several years in the making and having it boiled down to what we got was a good idea. One gripe though, it wasn't the best idea to put Todd McFarlane's name on the cover as he didn't do the entire book same with the writer.
    I'll agree with you there. Maybe that's why they didnt have an interview at the pack like the others

This week's issue...

THOR!

thortp1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I enjoyed the story but thought it was a bad choice for this kind of collection. They did a bad job of collecting it and it might have been better to take bits and pieces from different issues rather than putting in whole issues with scenes between Spidey and Black Cat or the Hobgoblin's return which added nothing to the storyline. And including them meant that points of the story such as Venom first trying to kill Spider-man and the explanation as to why he was wearing a homemade black costume instead of the red/blue version were omitted.

Unless there are plans to include it later in the series I would have preferred to see the return of Venom storyline because it is better suited to this format and most people would have some knowledge of Venom and if not the Origin could have been summed up in a page of text at the beginning of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

I'm finding it hard to keep track of these in-store. Not sure If I want to subscribe yet, but there seems to be no consistency in which issues are out and where.

In the last week I've seen issues 2,4 and 6 in various shops. Have one and two, then spotted four but didnt buy because I wanted five then six was out!

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to keep track of these in-store. Not sure If I want to subscribe yet, but there seems to be no consistency in which issues are out and where.

In the last week I've seen issues 2,4 and 6 in various shops. Have one and two, then spotted four but didnt buy because I wanted five then six was out!
    well its every two weeks...so the wednesday after this one coming issue 7 will be released

i get what you mean though, i've seen stores with still the first 3 issues out on sale

I've have the store next to where i work put one away for me when it comes in...stops any mix up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I enjoyed the story but thought it was a bad choice for this kind of collection. They did a bad job of collecting it and it might have been better to take bits and pieces from different issues rather than putting in whole issues with scenes between Spidey and Black Cat or the Hobgoblin's return which added nothing to the storyline. And including them meant that points of the story such as Venom first trying to kill Spider-man and the explanation as to why he was wearing a homemade black costume instead of the red/blue version were omitted.

Unless there are plans to include it later in the series I would have preferred to see the return of Venom storyline because it is better suited to this format and most people would have some knowledge of Venom and if not the Origin could have been summed up in a page of text at the beginning of the issue.

Just realised I missed a text page first time around which pretty much explains all of issues I had with the story, still stand by it being too awkward a storyline to collect though.

Pariah wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for My second shipment, Although they took My money, Not having any luck with the email or contact number. Anyone else having the same problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scaryspacedude

still waiting for 2nd delivery subscribed in time for dark phoenix and extremis got novels mug and dvd well over the four weeks and no second delivery. might aswell be using smoke signals trying to get through on the phone line.

still waiting for 2nd delivery subscribed in time for dark phoenix and extremis got novels mug and dvd well over the four weeks and no second delivery. might aswell be using smoke signals trying to get through on the phone line.
    I have the same trouble with My second delivery, 25 days late now. I did get trough ,to someone in India !!!, And they agreed this morning to send out a replacement. If I don't get it in the next few weeks, Ill just cancel it and go back to FP or Sub C. The contact number is a British one, Although it gives a number from Eire, You still have to dial 0044 first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Got no ****in delivery yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Anyone know if issue 7 is in the shops yet? Thought it might be delayed on account of the bank holiday?

• Advertisement

ripperman wrote: »
    Anyone know if issue 7 is in the shops yet? Thought it might be delayed on account of the bank holiday?
    Yep its out today. Got it at half eight this morning ;)

This issue we're treated to some Captain America
    detail.jpg

Have the people who were waiting on deliveries received or heard anything?

Advertisement