Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was the best thing you bought during lock down

Comments

Upgraded the creaking old laptop to one that can run a ps2 emulator

Has made working from home and being stuck at home much more bearable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Tork

A large computer monitor. It made a world of difference once I connected it up to my work laptop. As well as being better to look at, it helped me create a much more comfortable desk setup involving a spare keyboard and mouse. No more slouching. The monitor wasn't bought just for work (I don't love my employers that much!). It is an upgrade on an older, smaller monitor I've used for years with my own computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Load of photography gear. Would have bought it anyway, but I was saving loads working at home so it was guilt free. Downside is I take landscapes, and there ain’t a lot within my 5k...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Robovac. Held off buying one because I was trying to decide if the money was worth just the effort of doing the vacuuming myself but xmas deal came along and I bit the bullet and super glad I did. Have a tiled house, no kids (so no floor clutter) and one hairy constantly shedding dog and I'm totally sold on the thing. Should have made the move sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meggiemegmeg

I was saving for a car, but bought/built a home office instead. I got a a steel shed from a local fella, added doors and windows, insulated & plastered it, put in a toilet, sink, shower. A couch and TV, internet, heater, kettle and fridge, oh and a desk. I love it. It’s my own space away from everyone. And no one comes near me coz I’m ‘working’. I’m really hoping my work-office will never open again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I bought a black and white squier mustang for 129 euros. I then proceeded to modify it, I changed the bridge saddles, the nut, put in locking tuners, did the fret board. It plays like a dream I love it, love the shorter neck as well as you can do some mad stretches with your hand. Would love to put in bigsby tremolo on it, might change the bridge pickup for a super distortion as well but that's all in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Fleshlight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

A wireless weather station.

Now attached to the shed out the back and it reports to a display unit in the house to let me know temp (outside and inside), relative air pressure, humidity, rainfall levels, wind direction and strength (average or gusting), and dew point or heat index (depending on preference). Plus... it tells the date and accurate time from a longwave, atomic clock, radio signal sent from Germany!!

Hours of fun setting it up and looking at the readings .... who would have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,919 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Pipmae wrote: »
    I bought a bird house feeder from https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/. I love it. I've loads of birds. I agree the thickest are the wood pigeons. The most nervous are the collared doves followed closely by the blackbirds. The blackbirds and thrushes LOVE grapes. I cut them in half to make sure they're not a choking hazzard. They gobble them up.

The tit family are the bravest. They are so fast.....

The nyjer seeds are a waste. In general none of my birds are bothered about them.

The suet balls brings out the worst in all the birds. They scrap over them even though I refill them regularly. It's like their cocaine.....

I bought an outdoor pizza oven that I love too. An Ooni Koda 16 - massive hit.

we have goldfinches and siskins who love the nyjer seed. fat balls bring rats around the place, i would never use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Wahl hair clippers back in early March, should have done it years ago, even when out of lockdown it means no more queuing at the barbers, no more forced chats about holidays/sport/weather, I can have a haircut anytime day or night that suits me, and it has already paid for itself several times over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

pm1977x wrote: »
    Wahl hair clippers back in early March, should have done it years ago, even when out of lockdown it means no more queuing at the barbers, no more forced chats about holidays/sport/weather, I can have a haircut anytime day or night that suits me, and it has already paid for itself several times over.

Ditto. Although in hindsight I should have got a wahl, I bought some cheapo one which works grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Sandy ;)

539755.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Build a treehouse for the kids and insulated it properly. They now spend 3-4 hrs a day in their den during winter. It is keeping me sane at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

pm1977x wrote: »

Got a clippers but my best purchase was actually dyeing my hair blond. Always wanted to give it a go but lockdown afforded the right opportunity to do it.

This year want to and will get a motorbike as well as the license and also would love a racing rig for gaming but they cost 7k or something so it’s gonna hurt the pocket too much I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Got a clippers but my best purchase was actually dyeing my hair blond. Always wanted to give it a go but lockdown afforded the right opportunity to do it.

This year want to and will get a motorbike as well as the license and also would love a racing rig for gaming but they cost 7k or something so it’s gonna hurt the pocket too much I think.

Mid life crisis? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We built a home bar - not my idea and I thought it was a bit stupid but its turned out to be a great addition to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

1st lockdown - springer spaniel, just before prices went mad. he's made such a difference to all of our moods, and gets us out to play and go for long walks. The other day my 15 year old son, who is not prone to spontaneous emotional declarations and hasn't voluntarily given me a hug in years, was cuddling the dog and telling it how much he loves it.

2nd lockdown - after spending the first 6 months using a cobbled together home office set up - i bought a standing desk, monitor arms and gaming laptop. such a difference.

3rd lockdown - following months of toing and froing with Vodafone, i got an iphone 12 pro max upgrade for €250 during the week.
    older kids are on a fitness kick and looking for home gym equipment. looks like i'll cave in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

what you typed
    eviltwin wrote: »
    We built a home bar - not my idea and I thought it was a bit stupid but its turned out to be a great addition to the house.

what i read
    when this is all over, i'm going to invite all the boardsies over to our house for cocktails,

thanks for the invite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

Plant pots. I try to grow plants from any seeds I can get my hands on. I have a dozen clementine seeds germinating right now. No clue what I am going to do with all of them as I live in an appartement...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Archeron

Cake. One of our local Eastern European food shops have started importing Polish made fresh wobbly jelly cakes, kind of Custard consistency, and they have about ten types. And they sell it by the kg 😁

• Advertisement

accensi0n wrote: »
    Mid life crisis? :D

Ah possibly but got to roll with it :)

The matt morgan podcast on patreon was also money well spent. In my estimation comedy almost died at the end of the noughties so his pod and it’s politically incorrect interviews with Noel Gallagher keep me howling through lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

A house. Pain in the arse during a pandemic as it turns out, took 9 months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Looking back, I've done more in 2020 and early 2021 than I have in any year since 2010 when I bought my house.
    Got a 2nd black labrador puppy to be friends with the 6 year old one I had, built bar in the shed which got bit of use but closed for now, built a fake chimney breast to recess TV and fireplace into, changed curtains and blinds in the house and then bought a 2004 Mercedes SL500 which I haven't got to use yet.

No holidays, no weekends away, no pints with the lads replaced with watching TV on my new wall, walking my dogs and looking at a shebeen and a new sports car that I can't use!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

A Petromax Dutch oven and a tripod to use with it. I'm cooking a few dinners a week outside on it. It's nice because I'm working away in the kitchen all day so I have to go outside to check on dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Looking back, I've done more in 2020 and early 2021 than I have in any year since 2010 when I bought my house.
    Got a 2nd black labrador puppy to be friends with the 6 year old one I had, built bar in the shed which got bit of use but closed for now, built a fake chimney breast to recess TV and fireplace into, changed curtains and blinds in the house and then bought a 2004 Mercedes SL500 which I haven't got to use yet.

No holidays, no weekends away, no pints with the lads replaced with watching TV on my new wall, walking my dogs and looking at a shebeen and a new sports car that I can't use!
    Any picture of she been that's my next project looking for ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

The matt morgan podcast on patreon was also money well spent. In my estimation comedy almost died at the end of the noughties so his pod and it’s politically incorrect interviews with Noel Gallagher keep me howling through lockdown.

Has he done many Noel interviews since he went to paid? Used to really like that pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Built a LEGO Ultimate Collectors Series Millennium Falcon. Took me a little over two weeks and I managed to get a fairly decent stand for it when it was completed . Hours of fun watching it come together and it's looks impressive when displayed at an angle :).......saving up to get the Star Destroyer just in case this lockdown drags on in to the summer (hopefully not)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Copious amounts of coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A Petromax Dutch oven and a tripod to use with it. I'm cooking a few dinners a week outside on it. It's nice because I'm working away in the kitchen all day so I have to go outside to check on dinner.

This needs a pic.

Advertisement