Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

21% vat on item plus delivery (even if discounted by amazon).

£25 +£6 delivery comes to at least €36

Regardless. It's VAT notimport duty and is on anything over €22.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

So what is the point of Prime now? I ordered two scores, usually 2 days to get here, both say 31st of Jan as delivery. WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    So what is the point of Prime now? I ordered two scores, usually 2 days to get here, both say 31st of Jan as delivery. WTF.

Hopefully it is just the process, but I bought something from AE on the 1st of Jan, which was then shipped from China via Netherlands and arrived last week.

I bought another item from Amazon UK on the 3rd of Jan and it shows it won't arrive till end of next week and all this with prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

Remember it has only been 17 days since the transition period ended. I'm not sure what people expected when the trade deal was made so late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

GarIT wrote: »
    Handling fee has only ever been €10 for me.

Since jan 01 2021 it's now 3 50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Darc19 wrote: »
    Everyone is wrong.

Lol , what an opening. Good man/woman Darc.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GoWhest

I had subscribe and save set up for my coffee capsules on Amazon and received the e-mail last week that they can no longer ship them to my address and so the order was cancelled - fine I thought. Yesterday got the email that the item has been dispatched, unusually by an post and today it's in the Dublin parcel hub so will probably get it in the next day or so.

Yesterday I received two small items that were at initiated customs for over a week then went straight to out for delivery....delivered by Amazon with no Customs declaration.

I also ordered a Fitbit just before New year- that has been at completed customs for 4 days now and it's still not due to be delivered until the 25th. The advertised price was £159 - they charged me £160.33 at the time which worked out as the difference between the UK and Irish Vat but now they have refunded me the £1.33 so looks like they applied the UK rate for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Just in case folks don't know about - here is an Amazon price compare site (compares prices from different Amazons across the EU and the UK): https://www.hagglezon.com/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Just in case folks don't know about - here is an Amazon price compare site (compares prices from different Amazons across the EU and the UK): https://www.hagglezon.com/

What a brilliant site. Amazon should incorporate into their site.

Car99 wrote: »
    Lol , what an opening. Good man/woman Darc.

He's not wrong though,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    He's not wrong though,

They are though unless they are arguing that transporting something from the UK to Ireland isn't shipping.

They are though unless they are arguing that transporting something from the UK to Ireland isn't shipping.

They correctly stated that delivery from UK to Ireland forms part of the taxable value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    They correctly stated that delivery from UK to Ireland forms part of the taxable value.

Yes but they were incorrect, saying that the other people who said that were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Don't use address pal with Amazon you get double vat and handling fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭AuldDaysul

Why didn't you send it to your Irish address, then you would have paid Irish VAT on amazon and faced no further charges. Presumably you paid UK VAT as you sent it to a UK address, then An Post rightfully hit you with VAT and collection fee.

Yes but they were incorrect, saying that the other people who said that were wrong.

No the other people were wrong, because the other people were claiming that the fee due was:

21% of cost of item + AddressPal processing fee + AddressPal delivery fee

and not

21% of (cost of item + AddressPal processing fee + AddressPal delivery fee) + AddressPal processing fee + AddressPal delivery fee

which is what it in fact is.

OP was confused about where €44 came from, and that wasn't explained correctly until Darc19's post.

harmless wrote: »
    Remember it has only been 17 days since the transition period ended. I'm not sure what people expected when the trade deal was made so late.

Its only Amazon though. Anything else I've ordered from is business as usual. They're taking weeks to even dispatch something.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Still free postage on small orders.

Hopefully dispatch times will return to normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Its only Amazon though. Anything else I've ordered from is business as usual. They're taking weeks to even dispatch something.

Any examples of fast deliveries?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

AuldDaysul wrote: »
    Why didn't you send it to your Irish address, then you would have paid Irish VAT on amazon and faced no further charges. Presumably you paid UK VAT as you sent it to a UK address, then An Post rightfully hit you with VAT and collection fee.

They don't deliver firesticks to Ireland, never have done.

Anyways, lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Merging to Amazon megathread

Ogham wrote: »
    Any examples of fast deliveries?

They never had a problem dispatching things quickly until 1/1.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Still free postage on small orders.

Hopefully dispatch times will return to normal...

Maybe I've just been lucky but my dispatch times haven't been too much slower this month. My last few orders:

Ordered 15/01, dispatched 16/01
    Ordered 15/01, dispatched 17/01
    Ordered 14/01, dispatched 15/01
    Ordered 08/01, dispatched 11/01
    Ordered 08/01, dispatched 12/01
    Ordered 04/01, dispatched 07/01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

They never had a problem dispatching things quickly until 1/1.....

I was asking the other person for examples of other sites that have been quick since Brexit. :)

VG31 wrote: »
    Maybe I've just been lucky but my dispatch times haven't been too much slower this month. My last few orders:

Ordered 15/01, dispatched 16/01
    Ordered 15/01, dispatched 17/01
    Ordered 14/01, dispatched 15/01
    Ordered 08/01, dispatched 12/01
    Ordered 04/01, dispatched 07/01

3-4 days to dispatch is still poor compard to before 1/1 but agreed you are not doing too badly. I'm on average 5 - 6 days from order to dispatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

So it’s defo 3.50€ for the handling fee, that’d make ordering some stuff a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

As per link below can you now pay customs and vat charges online? Will you always be given the option in the email from customs to pay online? or can the postman / courier just come to your home without prior warning and seek payment in cash on the spot?

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Receiving/Pay-Customs-Charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

gzoladz wrote: »
    Possibly, which is fair enough...I would expect the item at least to be dispatched within 1 week, delivery will take what it needs to take...will see.

Update, delivery arrived earlier than planned, no surprises. Exactly the same as before Brexit, the only difference was that the estimated delivery time was a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

gzoladz wrote:
    Update, delivery arrived earlier than planned, no surprises. Exactly the same as before Brexit, the only difference was that the estimated delivery time was a little longer.

Some of mine have taken 10 days but more recent ones much quicker. Item ordered Friday arriving today (Monday)

• Advertisement

So no point having Prime now un less you watch their shows and films.

Advertisement