Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp patch on wall near balcony

• 15-01-2021 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I’m looking at a property but I’ve noticed that on the outside walls there are stains where the balcony meets the wall. Almost as if water is running off the balcony in the corner and down the wall. The inside of the property looks fine but I’m concerned it would be a future problem.

Is this a common issue with balconies and how easy is it to remedy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Blah6980 wrote: »
    I’m looking at a property but I’ve noticed that on the outside walls there are stains where the balcony meets the wall. Almost as if water is running off the balcony in the corner and down the wall. The inside of the property looks fine but I’m concerned it would be a future problem.

Is this a common issue with balconies and how easy is it to remedy?

Is it a house (your problem) or an apartment (management company's problem)? We had issues in our development with some of the balconies but the management company fixed then and did any necessary painting etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Blah6980

Caranica wrote: »
    Is it a house (your problem) or an apartment (management company's problem)? We had issues in our development with some of the balconies but the management company fixed then and did any necessary painting etc

Apartment. What fix did they put in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Blah6980 wrote: »
    Apartment. What fix did they put in place?

Not all the issues were the same. In my case they took up all the patio slabs on the balcony, took up the membrane and applied two layers of a really think sealant before replacing the tiles. It took 4 days as they let the balcony dry out before putting the sealant down and each layer had to dry for 24 hours. A painter then repaired the cosmetic damage. The sealant is guaranteed for 25 years. We had previously used a cheaper option on some balconies but those have had to be redone with this sealant.

The big question really is does the management company have the funds to cover this for multiple balconies.

Advertisement