Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Has to be returned. I got a new router from them in the Autumn, round end of October & still haven't given it back.

Remember them sending me a few texts about Parcel Motel & a few emails on the same issue too since then plus they've also rang me a couple of times; let there be no rush cos I'll be returning their new modem too as I'm signing up to Vodafone Monday!

Out of the frying pan and into the fire!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Another question please. When they offer you these half off deals, do they sign you up for a new 12 month contract if you agree to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Another question please. When they offer you these half off deals, do they sign you up for a new 12 month contract if you agree to them?

Yes they sure do..

Yes they sure do..

Thank you! In that case the only offer I'll take is half off and 9 months. They can cancel it otherwise, it's too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Got 9 months half price during the week. Took about 30 mins. Pretty pleasant conversation. I just kept refusing each offer he gave me and gave them the yearly price of one of their competitors as a comparison.

After checking with the supervisor he offered me 9 months half price as a final offer and i gladly accepted.

Have previously got 6 months half price every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Paulzx wrote: »
    Got 9 months half price during the week. Took about 30 mins. Pretty pleasant conversation. I just kept refusing each offer he gave me and gave them the yearly price of one of their competitors as a comparison.

After checking with the supervisor he offered me 9 months half price as a final offer and i gladly accepted.

Have previously got 6 months half price every year.

In the past how often did you get the 9 months half price offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

mad m wrote: »

I had 9 months half price for about 4 years, last year could only get 6 so took that, and this year back to 9 months.

Finally took myself by the scruff and called. It really feels like a chore to call in and this is exactly what these companies (especially insurance ones) are counting on, laziness and unwillingness to haggle and hassle for a better offer.

Got 9 month, half price for 250mbps. Waited for about 20 minutes and then was on the call about 5-6 minutes.

Was offered 6 month half price at first, but then I asked for 9 month and the rep agreed. The rep was nice and friendly, I didn't know the call center was in... India, I guess? Expected to be talking to somebody Irish, but then again, the last I talked to them the company was UPC.

I was also on the old 240mbps package and they moved me to 250mbps one. Got the email for that contract, but haven't received any emails to confirm that I'll be paying half of it. I asked the rep about this and she confirmed it and said I'll be getting an email within 24/48 hours as a confirmation.

Thank you very much to the OP and everybody else here for answering questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Finally took myself by the scruff and called. It really feels like a chore to call in and this is exactly what these companies (especially insurance ones) are counting on, laziness and unwillingness to haggle and hassle for a better offer.

Got 9 month, half price for 250mbps. Waited for about 20 minutes and then was on the call about 5-6 minutes.

Was offered 6 month half price at first, but then I asked for 9 month and the rep agreed. The rep was nice and friendly, I didn't know the call center was in... India, I guess? Expected to be talking to somebody Irish, but then again, the last I talked to them the company was UPC.

I was also on the old 240mbps package and they moved me to 250mbps one. Got the email for that contract, but haven't received any emails to confirm that I'll be paying half of it. I asked the rep about this and she confirmed it and said I'll be getting an email within 24/48 hours as a confirmation.

Thank you very much to the OP and everybody else here for answering questions.

I plan to do something like this today or tomorrow. I'm similar to you putting it off and I'm also on the old 240mb plan.

What number did you call and how did you start the conversation (e.g.: asking for a deal or saying you want to cancel)?

j_lennon18 wrote: »
    I plan to do something like this today or tomorrow. I'm similar to you putting it off and I'm also on the old 240mb plan.

What number did you call and how did you start the conversation (e.g.: asking for a deal or saying you want to cancel)?

Called 1908.

Went through their automated system where I was directed to cancellations. Waited (thankfully not much elevator music). Then their automated machine asked me more questions; whether I want to switch to a different provider or cancel due to price (as I recall). I picked the price option.

I told the rep I want to cancel my broadband as there are cheaper options out there. I actually did not mind cancelling at all. She offered 6 months at half price, I asked for 9 month, she checked and agreed. I said "thanks, have a a nice day" and that was it. To be honest, I kinda felt like I could've pushed for a year. Ask for a year and try to get that :D

€60 for 250mbps IS expensive though. It should cost €25. And if they offered 100mbps for a tenner, I'd buy that for a dollar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Never managed to get the 9 months before. Have always got 6 months but sometimes took 2 or 3 seperate calls to get it.

I was pleasantly surprised to get 9 months this time. However, I was able to quote competitors prices which were cheaper and there was no friction at all on the call.

I think it depends on who you are dealing with

• Registered Users Posts: 31 crazyjulien88

Hey, I called support to give my cancellation notice and they simply went ahead and cancelled it without discussing discount...is that normal? should I expect a call at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

Hey, I called support to give my cancellation notice and they simply went ahead and cancelled it without discussing discount...is that normal? should I expect a call at some stage?

I would say is normal, depends who you are talking with. I went ahead and canceled it, last year, without being offered any discount, than, I did a new contract, 35/month for six months, than 59/month. Now I will do again, I will call them, if they will cancel it, there is the same offer online, I will go for it again. I am not going to pay 60/month, too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Called today, went through all the motions, telling them I'd quit etc... eventually got them to agree to 9 months 1/2 price (44.50) then the final 3 at full price (89). Basically works out the same as the new customer offer of 55e per month.

She was very reluctant to give it, it took a lot of persuading. James 1 VM 0

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its all a charade. Most of them are working from home (which they'll cheerfully admit). And yet- when you negotiate with them- they 'have to have a chat with my manager'. Yeah, right. I'm not sure how they are paid, but there doesn't really seem to be any motivation there.

Once 5G becomes commonplace they'll have to lower their ridiculous prices. What they are charging currently is a robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,046 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Tried again today. Persistence paid off in the end, and also having the total cost of each packages at hand for my current deal, VM new customer deal & Sky new customer deal etc.

I was offered a deal for 6 months half price and then full price afterwards but I was quick to reply that the total cost savings was only about 50e over the course of the year and still more expensive than a new customer. So the service agent checked again and I was able to get 9 months half price, including Sky Sports. And managed to upgrade the bb from 240 up to 250! woo!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Anyone with a new cable modem/router (B2)- have you seen the connection drop every so often (say 2-3 times over the course of an 8 hour day)?
    Its playing havoc with a VPN link for work here........

Fitz* wrote: »
    Tried again today. Persistence paid off in the end, and also having the total cost of each packages at hand for my current deal, VM new customer deal & Sky new customer deal etc.

I was offered a deal for 6 months half price and then full price afterwards but I was quick to reply that the total cost savings was only about 50e over the course of the year and still more expensive than a new customer. So the service agent checked again and I was able to get 9 months half price, including Sky Sports. And managed to upgrade the bb from 240 up to 250! woo!

Did you ring 1908 and ask to be put through to loyalty or dial loyalty number

Did you ring 1908 and ask to be put through to loyalty or dial loyalty number

I rang that 061 number a few pages back and got no answer this time and it didn't sound like I was getting anywhere so I hung up. So I tried the 1908 number and went to account queries / cancellations section. I must have been 15 odd minutes on hold. I just put my phone on speaker and worked away at my desk (WFH). Just waited until they answered.

• Advertisement

Fitz* wrote: »
    I rang that 061 number a few pages back and got no answer this time and it didn't sound like I was getting anywhere so I hung up. So I tried the 1908 number and went to account queries / cancellations section. I must have been 15 odd minutes on hold. I just put my phone on speaker and worked away at my desk (WFH). Just waited until they answered.

Fitz,

I know you did leg work but can you PM me with figures of competitors you hit VM with when negotiating new deal.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Currently have 'Fibre Power 120 with Free Phone' and has been creeping up to the current amount of €52.66 a month

Was looking at switching to Vodafone for €30 a month (actually €29.51 when added to the basket) for 'Up to 100Mbps' & 'Unlimited landline calls'. So basically the same package but a saving of €277.80 for the year.

Never had any issues with Virgin so only looking to switch based on price for what would hopefully be the same level of broadband quality. I switch electricity and gas yearly but was reluctant to do the same with the broadband as I know it is not just changing who you are paying and the changeover and broadband speed can be a lottery.

This thread has been very useful, if I could get 9 months at the same price (€30) I would take that and they will probably also look to change my old plan to 250Mbps as well even though I don't really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Anyone on 500mb with sports pass get better than 15 off for 9 months?

I would be a heavy user!

Fitz,

I know you did leg work but can you PM me with figures of competitors you hit VM with when negotiating new deal.

Thanks

Sky is 50e a month for new customers, with Sky Sport half price at 20e a month, so 70e a month in total (840e for the year).
    One off payment of 50e for installation bringing the total to 890e.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ba3

ring every year, initially got told off with 15e off 9 months , rang 061 number other day, got 6 months half price for bb+ phone , roughly matching sky offer for same service , not too much haggling tbh have seen much worse in previous years, happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

Tried several times to get better than 15 off for 9 months but no luck. Went with Vodafone in the end. Half the price and twice the speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

fungie wrote: »
    Tried several times to get better than 15 off for 9 months but no luck. Went with Vodafone in the end. Half the price and twice the speed!

Same, gona give a few days and ring back try again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Has anyone received a soundbar from the Black Friday deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Anyone with a new cable modem/router (B2)- have you seen the connection drop every so often (say 2-3 times over the course of an 8 hour day)?
    Its playing havoc with a VPN link for work here........

I have been having this issue for the last week. Seems resolved today. I an on the Hub. The big white box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

coillcam wrote: »
    Has anyone received a soundbar from the Black Friday deals?

Yes. Arrived end of December.

Advertisement