Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Enfilade wrote: »
    Is there a case to be made for Sy and Seth being the same man? Their f**k sakes are strikingly similar :pac:

I'm guessing same part of the country lads?
    I'm just plain old me. I haven't the energy to be anyone else! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I'm just plain old me. I haven't the energy to be anyone else! :)

I'm just me too! Or am I? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

tnegun wrote: »
    Result! The guard in question couldn't of been more on the ball or interested. I dropped the footage in on USB yesterday, driver produced their docs this morning and was shown the footage. They made some excuses about not being close to me or the approaching cars. Guard is proceeding with a fine for careless driving and said its €120 and 3 points (Online says thats €80 and 2 points) either way the driver will think next time they pass a cyclist.

https://streamable.com/dmvu23

That road looks so familiar, is it between maynooth and kilcock?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

tnegun wrote: »
    Result! The guard in question couldn't of been more on the ball or interested. I dropped the footage in on USB yesterday, driver produced their docs this morning and was shown the footage. They made some excuses about not being close to me or the approaching cars. Guard is proceeding with a fine for careless driving and said its €120 and 3 points (Online says thats €80 and 2 points) either way the driver will think next time they pass a cyclist.

https://streamable.com/dmvu23

The speed he was going, what if the oncoming cars didn't hug the other side of the road ? I feel the 120 fine and 3 points isn't nearly enough. i'd be looking at 1k fine and 3 months off the road. He knew what he was doing, very dangerous. Anyway, a result nonetheless.

One of those was mine (must put that footage up here now actually)

Killiskey hill from Ashford towards Roundwood. The first time he backs off is when
    I gesticulate that he's too close. Cost €120:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Killiskey hill from Ashford towards Roundwood. The first time he backs off is when

Heart skipped a beat at the end....he was so close to hitting you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

micar wrote: »

I was sure he was down, that was mental, and for what?!? a 2 second wait and there would have been tons of space, absolutely mental

micar wrote: »

Utterly pointless move. Gained nothing. I reckon he even broke the temporary light initially but obviously I couldn't prove that.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I was sure he was down, that was mental, and for what?!? a 2 second wait and there would have been tons of space, absolutely mental

After the queue waiting to move at the light the road ahead was completely clear as far as the eye could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,228 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

After the queue waiting to move at the light the road ahead was completely clear as far as the eye could see.

Was on a similar road a few weeks back and 2 cars overtook me as I was trying to overtake a parked operating ambulance. First one almost took my arm off as I tried to indicate and then the second done the exact same only to end up behind me again 500m up the road at a red.

Car 1 then tries to round me on the bend off the lights and again down the hill only to realise I was now going the speed limit and having to slow myself for the car ahead of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

We should have a "pointless overtake" thread. So many of them. For what - 2, 3 or 5 seconds?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    We should have a "pointless overtake" thread. So many of them. For what - 2, 3 or 5 seconds?
    Can't remember if I posted this one before...
    https://streamable.com/60jq90

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Can't remember if I posted this one before...
    https://streamable.com/60jq90

Ah jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I occasionally drive the route 66 and 67, and there is always loads of cyclists about - probably something to do with it being flat :)

The amount of this sort of thing I see, on what are essentially country roads, is outstanding/outrageous. Mostly all these people get is a few seconds and no more.

While driving our that way, I am more times held up a couple of times per journey, but what do I care, I have already clocked in!! I always indicate when passing to let the following drivers know, but those ahead of me that extend that courtesy is very few.

I think most don't even realise what they have done (not an excuse, merely an observation)

Just seen this on Twitter - the system here is a joke...

https://twitter.com/SamMcCormack97/status/1332294829255036929?s=19

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I was told by a Gardai that I would indeed have to be knocked of and seriously injured for any action to be taken. He then went on to lament the terrible state of driving on Irish roads. He was 100% sincere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Insufficient evidence for prosecution seems to be the fall back once they run out of time. I think it's 6 months to prosecute and then that response is triggered which would match the date on the video. I got it for the AirPort Hopper incident and even when stuff was stolen from the front of the house and I had CCTV plus the identity of the guys involved after 6 months had elapsed for each.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The thing is RightToBikeIt has had similar incidents prosecuted before. Its a total lottery based on the Gard/supervising inspector you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,277 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Was there something strange in the air today? I was out on the bike and in the car, and there were multiple drivers breaking red lights, late reds, one coming close to a sixty-something gent who waved his hands in frustration. The usual people parking on every path and cycle lane and driving with their phones in hand as we've come to expect of course. One Range Rover lady managed the hat trick of pulling up on the wrong side of the road at traffic lights at Baggot St bridge, and driving off against a red light with her phone in her hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,228 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Was there something strange in the air today? I was out on the bike and in the car, and there were multiple drivers breaking red lights, late reds, one coming close to a sixty-something gent who waved his hands in frustration. The usual people parking on every path and cycle lane and driving with their phones in hand as we've come to expect of course.

Same yesterday. It's funny how the cold and dark makes the people in the heated lighted boxes act with an irrational urgency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Was there something strange in the air today? I was out on the bike and in the car, and there were multiple drivers breaking red lights, late reds, one coming close to a sixty-something gent who waved his hands in frustration. The usual people parking on every path and cycle lane and driving with their phones in hand as we've come to expect of course. One Range Rover lady managed the hat trick of pulling up on the wrong side of the road at traffic lights at Baggot St bridge, and driving off against a red light with her phone in her hand.

Sounds like a pretty routine day on Irish roads to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭buffalo

One for Trafficwatch on Monday morning:

buffalo wrote: »
    There was a hit and run near Kilcock end of September - a "silver SUV van" hit a female cyclist who "had appropriate lighting".

Naturally the Garda then...
    Quote:
    encouraged other cyclists to make sure they have correct lighting and wear the right clothes.

"Hi visible[sic] jackets on the bicycle and good cycling equipment is important," he said.

"It is essential that people take the necessary precautions with the appropriate clothing and lighting."

From this week's Liffey Champion. I exploded a bit while reading it.

This Garda has now been promoted from Sergeant to Inspector! At least he's not in my area any more.

I raised the comments with the Garda Press Office, no response. Awaiting a response from the Commissioner's office now, because the local JPC meeting didn't go ahead (Covid).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'but you weren't on the cycle path'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

Jesus. I was actually sure you were going to go down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Just got straight to Leixlip or Celbridge garda station (Thats Applegreen in Celbridge right?) if its open. All traffic watch will do it is log it and then you'll have to try make an appointment with the Guard its assigned to some time in the next 2-6 weeks. If you go in and make a statement print off a couple of pics and have the footage on USB you've done all the leg work and have a better chance of a prosecution and guard taking an interest IMO

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As bad as it was, did the guy in the red hoodie think you were shouting at him? He had a look of , why the f*** was he shouting at me.

'but you weren't on the cycle path'

I'm hoping that at least the Garda won't say that, whatever about the driver. I do use the cycle track further along, after it twice yields to allow access to a petrol station and business park. Business trumps cycling after all.

CramCycle wrote: »
    As bad as it was, did the guy in the red hoodie think you were shouting at him? He had a look of , why the f*** was he shouting at me.

ha! I never even noticed that. Looks like he's watching after me for quite a while too...

• Advertisement

Advertisement