Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway was mentioned along with 4 other areas on the news as an area of concern for community transmission. Seems odd as we have had no new cases at all in recent times.

Lots of tourists around.

Today the Tribune have said:
    Separate to today’s figures, a county-by-county breakdown for midnight Friday shows three new cases in Galway, bringing the total to 498. The attached image shows that county-by-county breakdown.

Link

Of course we don't know if these are recently-diagnosed cases, or reporting / reallocation of previously-occurred cases. Small numbers are a pain to report if trying to maintain patient confidentiality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Lots of tourists around.

Small numbers are a pain to report if trying to maintain patient confidentiality.

Galway people leave Galway and be tourist in other parts of the country aswell

What confidentially are u on abt? All that’s ever reported is county by county

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Galway was mentioned along with 4 other areas on the news as an area of concern for community transmission. Seems odd as we have had no new cases at all in recent times.

I've found this strange too.is there any way a of finding how many many tests are being carried out in Galway? I only see an overall national numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Good Q, I wondered that too. Those extra 3 are hopefully associated with the pub in Miltown.

Seems amazing we are doing so well though, particularly considering the influx of visitors. There was a piece on the news about people holidaying in Connemara. One teenager was interviewed and is sharing a house with 13 for a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Have you a link? Which Sheridans, pub or monger of cheese?

Sheridan's Pub in Milltown

+ 3 cases Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Good Q, I wondered that too. Those extra 3 are hopefully associated with the pub in Miltown.

Seems amazing we are doing so well though, particularly considering the influx of visitors. There was a piece on the news about people holidaying in Connemara. One teenager was interviewed and is sharing a house with 13 for a few days!

Would give such better indications of people are even going for testing in Galway.

Krieg wrote: »
    I dont know the rules on posting names of businesses, so ill leave it nameless for the moment.

A long running hotel in Galway has been shutdown due to staff testing positive for Covid. My source is someone who works at the hotel. I'm hoping it will be in the local news shortly.

Is it in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sheridan's closed over traced cases

I strongly suspect your omission of the location of Sheridan's (now known to be Milltown) was very intentional.

I'm sure the two City located Sheridan's would not be pleased with that.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sheridan's closed over traced cases
    This is the city forum. Don't post other locations in this thread.
    Next time include a source as well, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's fine to post names but you MUST have a linked source we can read.
    Rumours or hearsay posts are not ok.

• Advertisement

46 new cases tonight.
    None in Galway according to official figures.
    Those figures reflect test result received by Saturday midnight.

Peculiar but good if its the case.

Galway people leave Galway and be tourist in other parts of the country aswell

What confidentially are u on abt? All that’s ever reported is county by county

When individual figures are less than 5, eg 3 in county Galway, medical statisticans are wary about releasing them, because it's easy for people to put publcally available information together and work things out.

For example, if you heard there were two cases in Co Galway, and then noticed that two lads from work were out sick, and heard that a colleague got contact traced and told to test - you'd be pretty safe to conclude that the two lad had Covid.

When individual figures are less than 5, eg 3 in county Galway, medical statisticans are wary about releasing them, because it's easy for people to put publcally available information together and work things out.
    d.

Have you a link to back up this?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Why did you cut her post in half when you quoted it?

Because the other half you deliberately omitted gave a good explanation of the point she is making?

If you need a link to ' back this up ' then so be it. I don't as it makes sense as is.

Why did you cut her post in half when you quoted it?

Its neither in my opinion. I consider it to be a valid point and an accurate description of how people behave.

Are you a moderator?

Are you a moderator?

Are you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

MOD NOTE

If you have an issue with the substance of a post report it and a moderator will deal with it, no need to post as if you're a mod yourself

Are you?

No. I'm also not trying to be one.

The health-statistics experts I was working with didn't give me links for every statement they made.

But Google is pretty good.

Try this, if you want some reading: https://phw.nhs.wales/about-us/policies-and-procedures/policies-and-procedures-documents/information-governance-information-management-and-technology-policies/small-numbers-publishing-guidance/

And even thinking about problems yourself can help you see how things might work out, too.

• Advertisement

The health-statistics experts I was working with didn't give me links for every statement they made.

But Google is pretty good.

Try this, if you want some reading: https://phw.nhs.wales/about-us/policies-and-procedures/policies-and-procedures-documents/information-governance-information-management-and-technology-policies/small-numbers-publishing-guidance/

And even thinking about problems yourself can help you see how things might work out, too.

MrWhereisgalway5.3 brothers cousin claims to be a medical expect aswell but he’s in jail.

This is an article about wales, read most of it, doesn’t mention anything about the medical stats of Galway

“When individual figures are less than 5, eg 3 in county Galway, medical statisticans are wary about releasing them”. Mrs Bumble

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Is the Claddagh Jewelers Web Cam working or is it just me?
    I was wondering to see if any crowds out on the streets for Races/ Long Weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Is the Claddagh Jewelers Web Cam working or is it just me?
    I was wondering to see if any crowds out on the streets for Races/ Long Weekend

Off air for the past few weeks

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Off air for the past few weeks

I viewed it most race days & had no problems.

Am looking at it right now too...

Maybe you have a Browser issue?

f765bffeea.JPG

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I viewed it most race days & had no problems.

Am looking at it right now too...

Maybe you have a Browser issue?

f765bffeea.JPG

Ok now but it was off for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Cross domain access denied (whatever that means!) according to their website:
    claddaghcam.JPG

Cross domain access denied (whatever that means!) according to their website:
    claddaghcam.JPG

Strange, it's working fine for me. Try a different browser maybe?

Works fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rossie11

• Advertisement

For example, if you heard there were two cases in Co Galway, and then noticed that two lads from work were out sick, and heard that a colleague got contact traced and told to test - you'd be pretty safe to conclude that the two lad had Covid.

We should be told who has it not trying to hide who has it. This would be far better everyone’s safety.

Advertisement