Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epson WIFI SX435W Printer not connecting to Computer or WIFI

• 25-02-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Can someone pls help.. Ive tried 3 or 4 times to install using the different methods, from USB cable directly to my PC (not wifi enabled), also the WPS button at the back of the router, and via the printer setup wizard directly on the LCD screen.

NOTHING:( And I'm sick of it now 2 hours later. Ive checked the manuals with the online instructions of networking problems, and wifi problems, but everything seems the way it should be done, but just not responding.

Not sure if this helps, but the PC states the USB device is not recognized....yet this cable was used with the previous Epson printer connected directly to it.....

Is it possible that my PC is not compatible with the new Printer because of it being a WIFI printer?:confused:

Pls advise........thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭swampgas

What version of Windows is installed on your PC?

Do you hear any sounds when you plug the USB cable from the printer into the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

swampgas wrote: »
    What version of Windows is installed on your PC?

Do you hear any sounds when you plug the USB cable from the printer into the PC?

Windows xp and regarding device connecting sounds only once when I changed ports from back of machine to front but even then the windows baloon popped up saying - one of the USB devices connected to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize this device. When I clicked to fix, it just offered a disconnect and reconnect option which needless to say didn't work.

Could the printer be faulty?

Still trying and having no luck connecting the printer to the wifi network. Im trying via the PC to which it is now connecting and printing word documents directly when linked with the USB cable (which I changed as the other one appeared damaged).

Now I just need to connect it to my laptop which runs windows XP, and eventually my iPad 1st Gen. OS ver 4.3.5.

Please can someone help me. All the google-ing is making my head spin:(

mumof2 wrote: »
    Still trying and having no luck connecting the printer to the wifi network. Im trying via the PC to which it is now connecting and printing word documents directly when linked with the USB cable (which I changed as the other one appeared damaged).

Now I just need to connect it to my laptop which runs windows XP, and eventually my iPad 1st Gen. OS ver 4.3.5.

Please can someone help me. All the google-ing is making my head spin:(

If you connect the printer directly to the laptop, does it print?

What model WiFi router have you got?

It will print from laptop when connected via a cable.

The router/modem I'm using is Eircom ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v3

Appreciate the help thanks.

• Advertisement

The router/modem I'm using is Eircom ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 v3

I found a user manual for your router here and there is no reference to WPS at all.

You could try following the manual WiFi setup described here and see if it helps - if it doesn't, can you indicate at which step it goes wrong?

*edit* Has the Router been locked down in any way? Can any wireless device access it?

@Swampgas - thanks for your help so far.

The wifi has to be working fine as I have 3 or 4 other devices connected to it currently, and all had to be setup using the password for the wifi connection.

I couldn't open the router file, but on looking at the WIFI setup file it appears the exact same to what I did several times now but to no avail.

It gets as far as entering the ssid code (password) and says "setting up" on the lcd screen, and afterwards reads "setup failed print report y/n"

What I don't understand is this is the third report I've printed, and the very first one was when it was shortly after coming out of the box and first setup, it briefly connected to the wifi (as the signal light stayed on), but the computer never connected to the printer "no computer found" so installation couldn't be completed.

Hope this info helps you to help me:D

Ive setup printer sharing and that didn't help either, my laptop still wont read the printer (saying offline). Hope this works, because I have no hope of connecting it to my iPad or iPhone otherwise:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

a couple of things to do / check:

Is your router running the latest firmware? Check the version here: http://192.168.1.254 (password is broadband1) as against what's available from eircom here: http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/
    Reason being, there may be odd issues that have been addressed in the firmware update for the router

Next, have you installed the Epson software on your PC? (presumably so) Check under the device manager to (Start>right click on Computer, and Device Manager) ensure that no devices are inadvertently disabled - if so re-enable them

From reading this:
    http://support.epson-europe.com/onlineguides/en/sx430sx435w_nwg/p_body/panel/wizard/manual_01.htm

It doesn't look like you need to have the software on the PC operating to complete the connecting to the network? Are you entering the password correctly? lower case / upper case matter...

@Dardania:

I cannot open .bin files (from Eircom), so I cannot check if my firmware is the latest. Does the router update itself or do I need to do this? If the router does so itself then it should be the latest, if not then the firmware currently on it is approx 18mths old, or more.......

I have installed the password onto several devices, and on the printer setup have attempted to do so about 7 or 8 times at this stage, so its not a case issue regarding typing.........

Device managers - all working and enabled.

Edit: Just to update a previous post - for Swampgas - When I last tried the wife wizard setup as per the instructions, i had said that "setup failed" read on the lcd screen. However the wifi signal light is now green yet on the laptop the printer is still offline. Any suggestions?

The .bin file has to be downloaded to your PC, and then uploaded to the router (you dont open it on the PC)

If you go to http://192.168.1.254 what firmware does it say you have?

And with typing the password - I have a WiFi internet radio thing, and I spent a few frustrating hours when I got it trying to connect it to my WiFi - password typing typing was the problem (well - I was, but that's not the point!)

• Advertisement

Did a connection check and it says connection ok so I printed the report and it says Pass for all security stuff and connection..........:confused:

So why isnt my laptop picking up the printer..........

Just had a thought, must turn off this laptop and do a restart as I set up the shared printer here too, maybe thats the problem........

Just checking this out now:o

well then that sounds like progress.

defo stop trying to share your printer from your laptop - that'd be two layers of sharing, and unworkable after a while...

To get it talking to your ipad, you'll have to upload the configuration config file i linked to in the other post to 192.168.1.254

Im going to have to come back to this tomoro ......
    I can't set up the network sharing anyway, its too confusing.........

The firmware I have is:
    ZyNOS firmware version: V3.70(BOE.3)D0 03/30/2010
    DSL firmware version: DMT FwVer: 3.11.11.24_A_TC

(didn't know which one was required).

Regarding the iPad and configuration file - if I remember correctly that was something you linked in another thread?? (i think), if so I couldn't open that, and as you mentioned above, it needs to be opened with the router:confused:

Please can you explain what I need to do to achieve that, or where to find instructions (don't know what its called so don't know what to look for:o)

Thanks so much.

Another day tomoro - hopefully a brighter one.........:)

Ok. Laptop still not picking up the wifi printer. Why not:confused:

Ive firewall enabled to allow printer access, I've stopped trying to share:othe printer.......

I don't know what to do anymore.

Im not even going to attempt to set it up with my iPad until it works from the laptop or it will defeat the whole purpose!

Anyone got ideas as to why the laptop wont print or see that the printer is in fact online?
    The print icon is in the tray of icons on the lower right h/s of the screen - yet when I click on it, the ik levels are greyed out, and it states: "communication error, connect the product to the computer and turn on the power":confused:

Just an idea - try disabling the firewall completely and see if it makes a difference.

Also - once the printer has connected to the WiFI network, you should be able to access it from both the PC and the laptop. Does it work with the PC?

It works with the pc because its directly linked via USB cable. My PC isn't wireless enabled either.

Would it make a difference if the laptop isn't wireless enabled, but works wirelessly because of the Belkin wireless network adapter plugged into the USB?

Not sure about turning off the firewall, as a screen came up to allow firewall to let Epson through......(this happened after I tried to install the printer via cable onto this laptop which could explain how the printer icon is showing up)......:confused:

Your PC should be able to connect over the network - it will connect over the cable to the router, and from there to the printer over WiFi. So, with the USB cable disconnected, you should be able to print. However, you might have to connect the printer again in Windows, as your PC will see it as a different printer.

That doesn't work either:mad::mad:

I have had enough of it. Its going back to the shop.

Why the F*** should a printer need all this hassle to be set up and then still not work!!:mad:

By the way: Thank you to all of you who tried to help me.

Kind regards.

N.

Update:
    Last night I uninstalled the printers from both the PC and the Laptop and this morning to give it one last shot I got in touch with Epson support online using their chat service.

With their help the printer was installed on the PC. (Even though they didn't tell me to do anything I didn't already know thanks to all who helped here:D)

After that I set it up on the Laptop where at first it couldn't find the printer but on third attempt it connected successfully. (The only thing I changed on the third attempt was move a box from the table which I thought may have blocked the wifi signal).

I then installed Epson iPrint app on the iPhone and iPad and am pleased to say the printer works from all four devices connected via the wireless network;)

I have had enough of it. Its going back to the shop.

Sometimes you have to threaten the machine before it will behave ... :-)

Glad you finally got it working.

• Advertisement
Advertisement