Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Double Movie Walrus - World Premiere Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Where: 5th place / 6 points
    What: Revenge
    Who:
    sKeith

Had not seen this movie but had heard of it. First off, the plot here is way ott, but that aside, let's see how it did. Jen, an American socialite, is attacked and left for dead by her married boyfriend and his 2 friends in the desert. She quickly recuperates to seek revenge.
    This movie is mostly in French with some English. There is not a whole lot of dialogue however. As mentioned at the top of the review, the plot here is very far fetched, like Jen burning the tree to free herself, and the amount of blood loss by multiple characters and they are still able to run around. Yes, this movie is quite gory, be warned. I also found it hard to believe a socialite could turn into Rambo overnight.
    That's not to say I didn't like the movie, because I did. The acting, cinematography, location, and music I found really good. The tension in places worked really well. The pace did slow a bit in the 2nd third, but not really noticeable. Also probably a tad overran at an hour 45 mins. A decent thriller if you don’t mind gore. My Rating 6.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6738136/

Trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

These look very interesting

Where: 4th place / 7th points
    What: Snowpiercer
    Who:
    Skunky

Strangely, I had watched part of this movie before, not sure why I didn’t finish it. From memory, I don’t recall it being that good.
    It’s a very interesting premise, a group of people onboard a train that continuously circles the earth after a failed environmental experiment killed off all life, with only those on the train remaining. A class system has emerged, with the lower class, at the back of the train, deciding to fight their way to the front to take it over.
    Firstly, that story and setting is the kind of thing I would watch. The cinematography, especially the outdoor scene is really good. Acting, apart from Tilda Swinton, is nothing great. Tilda does steal the show imo. It does build up a good pace and you are excited to see the ending. Runtime is fine, maybe overdone at close to 2 hours. However, I think it uses the time rather well, maybe the final 3rd is slow in places. The payoff at the end is probably enough, could have been better but I wasn’t too disappointed. Action is a bit ott at times, there is nothing really in terms of twists, but overall a good movie. My Rating 7

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706620/

Trailer:

Where: 3rd place / 8 points
    What: Lost In Translation
    Who:
    GreenSpurs

I have two caveats with this movie, 1 I'm not a fan of Bill Murray, 2 Although an indie movie, I don't think it fits this category given it's multiple Oscar and BAFTA nominations. That said, I will not let them influence my review too much.
    So this movie is about two Americans, a middle-aged actor shooting a commercial and a young college grad who meet and strike up a friendship in Tokyo.
    I kept going from this is boring to really liking this many times while watching. This movie really did have an effect on me and kept me thinking about it long after watching it. This, I was not expecting to be honest. There are many great aspects about this movie, the acting is great, the setting is exquisite, and the soundtrack is very good. There are so many themes here that I don’t feel qualified enough to discuss. They are not really what I look for in a movie but I appreciate them all the same. I have to mention Bill Murray, I don't like him in movies but I was surprised that I did actually enjoy watching him here. The movie's runtime is around 1 hour 45 mins which I found just about right. So, a great pick, one that really surprised me. My Rating 7

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335266/

Trailer:

Where: 2nd place / 9th points
    What: M 1931
    Who:
    Quickbeam

Another movie I had not seen. From acclaimed German director, Fritz Lang, it tells the story of a serial killer, played by Peter Lore, who has terrorised Berlin. With the police having no success in finding the killer, the cities criminal launch their own hunt as police presence on the streets is hampering their criminal activities. The criminals capture the killer and are about to kill him, when the police arrive and he is brought before the court of law. The movie ends without the audience finding out what happens to the killer.
    First of all, this movie is in German, watching subtitled movies kind of a pet hate of mine. I’d also argue if this is really a hidden gem in the sense that it is very well known, even though I had not seen it. That aside, this movie is a masterclass in directing and storytelling. It is way ahead of its time. The acting is brilliant. I’d imagine it has had a huge influence on other movies over the years. Are you in favour of the police, the criminals, or the killer, it is difficult to tell at times. It is not the best movie I’ve seen but from directing and storytelling, it could just be. I would have liked to have given it a higher rating, but the subtitles and the theme of this category may have just lowered the rating in this contest for me. An excellent pick. My rating 7.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022100/

Trailer:

• Advertisement

Definitely lots of films on this ill be watching in future only seen 1 or 2

Where: 1st place / 10 points
    What: Let The Right One In 2008
    Who:
    tusk

I’ve heard of this, but have not seen it. Based in early 80s Stockholm, a bullied boy befriends his new female neighbor, unknown to him that she is a vampire. This movie is simply stunning. Yes, it is another subtitled movie, but given the slow dialogue, it didn’t bother me at all. It is not really a horror movie although there are horror elements in it. It is more focused on the relationship between the boy and girl as he comes to terms with the girl's true identity. There are a few kill scenes which are really well done. The main character are really interesting and just feels so real if vampires were real...lol
    This movie has left a real impression on me and I’ve thought a lot about it since I watched it. There is as you might know, an American remake, have not seen it myself, may eventually watch for curiosity. An excellent pick, My Rating 7.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

Trailer:

So there you have it folks, thanks for following and for all the movies submitted in this round. I enjoyed watching all of them, and most of them for the first time.

See you all next time.

Well done Kol great reveal

""
    Player | 80s | Immotional | Hiiden Gems | Total
    tusk | 7 | 8 | 10 | 25
    LadySkunk | 6 | 7 | 7 | 20
    Greenspur | 2 | 9 | 8 | 19
    QB | 4 | 6 | 9 | 19
    Perse | 10 | 4 | 2 | 16
    Irishejit | 8 | 3 | 4 | 15
    LeVar | 3 | 10 | 3 | 16
    Spooks | 9 | 5 | 1 | 15
    Necro | 5 | 2 | 5 | 12
    sKeith | 1 | 1 | 6 | 8

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thanks Kol, good reveal.

Happy enough with my placing there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

All of those films look great, will have to check them out. Nice reveal Kol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Kolido wrote: »
    Player | 80s | Immotional | Hiiden Gems | Total
    tusk | 7 | 8 | 10 | 25
    LadySkunk | 6 | 7 | 7 | 20
    Greenspur | 2 | 9 | 8 | 19
    QB | 4 | 6 | 9 | 19
    Perse | 10 | 4 | 2 | 16
    Irishejit | 8 | 3 | 4 | 15
    LeVar | 3 | 10 | 3 | 16
    Spooks | 9 | 5 | 1 | 15
    Necro | 5 | 2 | 5 | 12
    sKeith | 1 | 1 | 6 | 8

oh, theres movement.... i am not dead to rights just yet....

1,1,6 if I graph that and extrapolate, i should get about a 12 in next round and a 48 in the final round. I could win this still.....

Huh. Florida Project is gorgeous!! Philistines.

:pac:

I will cherish this moment for the rest of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Weee it came fourth. Glad you liked it Kol, I really had to dig deep for that hidden gem feel and thought this was the best one I had so really pleased it came fourth.

Well deserved number one I reckon, I’ve seen the American one and really enjoyed it but have heard the original is much better :)

Tusk look at us at the top, some calculations must be wrong somewhere. That can’t be right :pac:

Persepoly wrote: »
    Huh. Florida Project is gorgeous!! Philistines.

:pac:

WARNING

Could contestants please limit the abuse to one judge per game round please,

Well until we reach the final round at least :pac:

Where's the next reveal!!!!????

I'm no good up here it's too scary.

tusk wrote: »

Wednesday or Sunday would be the 2 favourite days for it to happen but its also me up next so...............................

Maybe never :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Let The Right One in

<3

And the original not the remake!!!

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

• Advertisement

What's the story lads?? Coronavirus got yee?

Maybe we should just leave it there. I think we'd all be fine with that. I mean with the multiple crises and general life just getting in the way, maybe it's best to just move on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Maybe we should just leave it there. I think we'd all be fine with that. I mean with the multiple crises and general life just getting in the way, maybe it's best to just move on...
    :rolleyes:

Trying to get in contact with Mick, he is half ways across the Atlantic I believe. We will keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Kolido wrote: »
    Trying to get in contact with Mick, he is half ways across the Atlantic I believe. We will keep you updated.

Will his feet not be very wet there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,628 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Someone entered Waterworld, he's method-watching

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Any chance of the next round soon?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

tenor.gif?itemid=13052487

Our 10th place winner for this round is the movie Adaption

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268126/

This movie really didnt do too much for me, it was a decent watch but never really pulled me in, it was quite weird which is necessarily a bad thing but was just a little too muddled for my taste. While I am a Nic cage fan I didnt feel like this was one of his better performances.

1 point to
    QB

• Advertisement

Our 9th place winner is Beneath hill 60

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1418646/

I actually feel bad putting this in 9th but this category was really strong with loads of good and great movies, I enjoyed this movie, it was well acted and well made, the story behind it was a good one, I felt it kind of dragged a little at times.

A movie that never really got out of 3rd gear for me but well worth a watch especially if you like war movies

2 points to
    Irishejit

Advertisement