Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you working on currently?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fork handles?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Four candles, surely?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no, four candles.

Doh! 🤤

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Some nicely figured Ash planks I got recently.

Some lovely tool handles in waiting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

The kitchen table.

Oops. Sorry. Though I was on the “Working From Home’ thread. My bad

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

Back home for a few days, and I finished this piece off. Worked out grand

Dunno why it came out sideways

^ Chinese saw? 🙂

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

A bad attempt at a joke - saw cutting horizontally instead of vertically, so out by 90⁰.....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

New Drawers

just faffing around making christmas decorations out of odds and ends of wood and bits of branchwood to make mushrooms .

Nice job there magic. I think its confirmed, you are definitely a woodturning addict😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Hello all, I built another sideboard since I was here last, got some 8 x 1 and 4 x 2 oak planks for relatively reasonable money (reason being most of them were like feckin bananas 😐️):

Started by planing them, then jointing them with a table saw & low angle jack plane:

A lot of the boards ended up as thin as 16mm when I got them flat, I used the thinner ones for a coffee table:

Glued up carcass/frame, 1800W x 400H x 380D:

Fitting the doors, 4 inset & 4 full overlay hinges:

Routing for the back panel, made up of 16mm scraps from the coffee table:

The legs/frame-I angled them about 8° Front to back:

6mm threaded inserts to fix the frame to the carcass:

After much sanding (up to 220) and two coats of osmo poly-x matt, the finished item:

Delighted overall how it came out, I still need to plug the countersunk bolts, and I’m not completely happy how the full overlay hinges left the center gap 1.5mm more than the gap between the doors so I might epoxy a strip of brass into it eventually. It nearly took me as long to figure out how to upload the pics as to build this...

Post edited by glynf on

The coffee table; I got the legs for €50 online a while back. I don't need a coffee table, so will end up selling it, I just couldn't stop after the sideboard😁

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Fantastic job Glynf, re. the sideboard legs are they just glued up? Are there domino's, screws or dowels involved?

Thank you. I used two 8 x 40 dominos & glue at each joint, worked out plenty strong enough.

• Advertisement

tree surgeons taking some dead standing elms down today in the grounds of DCU, so i snaffled a bit. i was sweating buckets onto the inside of the face shield processing these.

Nice little capture there magicb, I am jealous for sure😀

btw, my chainsaw work leaves a bit to be desired. i usually end up making curving cuts - as in they curve back in towards me.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Jesus Glynf that’s another level with the sideboard!! InCredible craft, love the bevel on the internal edge of the front frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Have a table top (made of 2 joined slabs) that has partially split. Going to rip it in half and rejoin it properly, got a track saw to do it. Very nervous about doing it, has anyone attempted similar, any advise before I make a complete mess of it?

is the track saw likely to leave two jointable edges?

I don't have a jointer, so have used a track saw a few times to joint longer boards-usually 19-20mm thick-with no issues. I tidied up the glue faces with a low angle jack plane that has a fence. Works well for me especially if the track saw blade is nice and sharp; the fence keeps the edge perpendicular to the front if the board, maybe a bit harder to free hand it without one. I have seen a video on youtube of a lad making one from 12mm ply as well.

edit:

Here's the one-odd choice of music...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

Paul sellers howto on edge jointing, may be of use

Do you have enough clamps for the glue up afterwards? That can be a bit of a stumbling block

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

Been working on a farmhouse style table, mostly with hand tools. Its been slow and tedious, but very rewarding when it goes right

I love drawboring

Not sure why this wont rotate

Breadboard ends with more drawbores and allowing for wood movement

The joinery is nearly done, I need to plane, sand and finish now. Having trouble getting tinted hard wax oil though. Would like a few samples to test, as I want a more grey colour than the yellow that pine tends to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I love that Halycon, all those shavings must have made your workshop smell lovely too!

I finished this quirky little ash coffee/side table last weekend - affectionately nicknamed "The Ironing Board":

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

Wow that is great! Love the design

Advertisement