Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

You'd have to buy an ethernet adaptor like this one.
    Adds 50% on to the total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Would anyone who has got this recomend the device to be hardwired to the router or does it work well without having to do that?
    Thanks

It works fine on WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Soarer wrote: »
    Adds 50% on to the total.

Those adapters are a ridiculous price.

Its a big flaw not having an ethernet port or an extra usb port on the stick.

I've had issues in a few rooms in the house where the wifi is poor .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

Expected in stock by 18th of April. :)

I bought unbranded one off ebay, works 100%.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/362787713148

Have you tried repositioning your router?
    You can buy a WiFi range extender for much less.P and gives greater flexibilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Cerco wrote: »
    It works fine on WiFi.

Mine works perfectly fine on WiFi also, mind you I'm only streaming 1080p on it in another room...

joujoujou wrote: »

That’s a good find joujou.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

The Ethernet card on it only supports 100mb so it's not 4k suitable afaik.
    It's why it doesn't have a port by default. Loads of people complaining that they don't get 4k and the root cause is they're using lan for "faster" connections when in fact it's slower.
    If you have bad wifi in areas of the house buy a WiFi range extender or booster for the few quid extra and all your devices will work on it.
    I picked up an extender 10 years ago for 15 quid and welll worth it (although it hasn't been used in 2 years now since the new broadband router covers the entire house)
    I would look for speeds of 300mb/s nowadays to support 4k or a few devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joeyoey

joujoujou wrote: »

It says in the notes that it's not compatible with the 4k
    Please note: not compatible with first Gen sticks, Firestick 4K or Roku devices
    Just want to double check before I buy, thanks

kenyard wrote: »
    The Ethernet card on it only supports 100mb so it's not 4k suitable afaik.
    It's why it doesn't have a port by default. Loads of people complaining that they don't get 4k and the root cause is they're using lan for "faster" connections when in fact it's slower.
    If you have bad wifi in areas of the house buy a WiFi range extender or booster for the few quid extra and all your devices will work on it.
    I picked up an extender 10 years ago for 15 quid and welll worth it (although it hasn't been used in 2 years now since the new broadband router covers the entire house)
    I would look for speeds of 300mb/s nowadays to support 4k or a few devices.

Can someone point me in the direction of an extender/booster that can do both a 2.4 & 5GHz network at the same time?
    My Sky router does both, and have devices that run on each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Can someone point me in the direction of an extender/booster that can do both a 2.4 & 5GHz network at the same time?
    My Sky router does both, and have devices that run on each.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX3700/dp/B01560JGQW?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

nice selection. the basic 20 pound one should cover 95% of people in ireland, as most broadband providers only give you a cheap router which cant do more than 300mb/s so unless you are buying your own router, or want both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, it should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭yellowbear

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    What are you looking to use the firestick for?

VPN or Smart DNS are only required for iplayer & such. They are not required for prime video UK.

Just wondering how you know of you have uk prime. What's on it that isn't on the irish one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

yellowbear wrote: »
    Just wondering how you know of you have uk prime. What's on it that isn't on the irish one?

Look for Fleabag Season 1. If it plays you are on the UK Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭yellowbear

Doodah7 wrote: »

Cheers I have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

kenyard wrote: »
    nice selection. the basic 20 pound one should cover 95% of people in ireland, as most broadband providers only give you a cheap router which cant do more than 300mb/s so unless you are buying your own router, or want both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, it should do.

True but the poster specifically asked for a model that did both bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

This firestick is in the post.

I use vlc streamer on ipad to access my fritz router (Which has my hard drives plugged in). Can the firestick pick up this content does anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

McSween wrote: »

I use vlc streamer on ipad to access my fritz router (Which has my hard drives plugged in). Can the firestick pick up this content does anyone know

Is that hard to set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

Sneachta wrote: »
    Is that hard to set up?

No quite easy and highly recommended. My two hard drives are plugged in constantly and i can download onto ipad using .my fritz app. Then copy the file into vlc ppayer/streamer.

• Advertisement

McSween wrote: »

Is this what you are looking for?

https://techwiser.com/mirror-any-devices-to-fire-tv-stick-4k/

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

joeyoey wrote: »
    It says in the notes that it's not compatible with the 4k
    Please note: not compatible with first Gen sticks, Firestick 4K or Roku devices
    Just want to double check before I buy, thanks
    Anyone know of an alternative for a 4K fire stick ?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Try Fleabag Season 2, won't play in Ireland. ;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Firestick 4K was on sale on amazon for £29 two days ago. And also a week before that. They seem to be going up and down every few days. Keep an eye out and you'll catch it cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

ITV2 wrote: »
    Try Fleabag Season 2, won't play in Ireland. ;-(

It all plays on the BBC iPlayer and uk VPN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Just about to pull the trigger again for the 4K version (its £29 again on Amazon)

However I want to confirm that it works here in Ireland before I get it - otherwise I will get the regular one

As per the details on this link it says the 4k will not work here

I already have a regular and its been an effort to get it working with Prime Video (through Eir broadband offer) so I want to make sure that it will be ok to use the 4K version for Prime Video here

Anyone want to confirm yay or nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

Yes the 4K absolutely will work here but you need to install the Prime Video app because the one that is pre-installed will not work in Ireland.

You will probably also need to contact Amazon support to enable UK video for your Prime account - best done via online chat, after adding a UK address to your account and setting it as the default.

Just about to pull the trigger again for the 4K version (its £29 again on Amazon)

However I want to confirm that it works here in Ireland before I get it - otherwise I will get the regular one

As per the details on this link it says the 4k will not work here

I already have a regular and its been an effort to get it working with Prime Video (through Eir broadband offer) so I want to make sure that it will be ok to use the 4K version for Prime Video here

Anyone want to confirm yay or nay?

4k is a much better device but if you are just using it for amazon video, i would guess the basic one is okayish...
    when they go on sale for the difference in price i find the 4k worth it.
    its worth it anyway and last purchase i made was full price 4k device.
    i wouldnt go back to the standard one..i want to replace my existing non 4k and was tempted during these deals..

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭antomack

fast_eddie wrote: »
    Yes the 4K absolutely will work here but you need to install the Prime Video app because the one that is pre-installed will not work in Ireland.

You will probably also need to contact Amazon support to enable UK video for your Prime account - best done via online chat, after adding a UK address to your account and setting it as the default.

What version needs to be installed to get PV working then? Do you need to uninstall the pre-installed one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

fast_eddie wrote: »

You what? Worked for me without any faff!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement