Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons the British state would have orchestrated the Dublin Monaghan bombings

• 12-07-2020 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

If the British state (at the highest level) was involved in the Dublin Monaghan bombings what do you think the reasoning was?

At the time of the bombings, Colin Wallace was a British Intelligence Corps officer at the British Army's Northern Ireland headquarters. Since his resignation in 1975, he has exposed scandals involving the security forces, including state collusion with loyalists. He gave evidence to the Barron Inquiry.

In an August 1975 letter to Tony Stoughton, chief of the British Army Information Service in Northern Ireland, Wallace writes:

There is good evidence the Dublin bombings in May last year were a reprisal for the Irish government's role in bringing about the [power sharing] Executive. According to one of Craig's people [Craig Smellie, the top MI6 officer in Northern Ireland], some of those involved – the Youngs, the Jacksons, Mulholland, Hanna, Kerr and McConnell – were working closely with [Special Branch] and [Military Intelligence] at that time. Craig's people believe the sectarian assassinations were designed to destroy Rees's attempts to negotiate a ceasefire, and the targets were identified for both sides by [Intelligence/Special Branch]. They also believe some very senior RUC officers were involved with this group. In short, it would appear that loyalist paramilitaries and [Intelligence/Special Branch] members have formed some sort of pseudo gangs in an attempt to fight a war of attrition against the PIRA by getting paramilitaries on both sides to kill each other and, at the same time prevent any future political initiative such as Sunningdale.

In a further letter of September 1975, Wallace wrote that MI5 was backing a group of UVF hardliners who opposed the UVF's move toward politics. He added:

I believe much of the violence generated during the latter part of last year was caused by some of the new [Intelligence] people deliberately stirring up the conflict. As you know, we have never been allowed to target the breakaway UVF, nor the UFF, during the past year. Yet they have killed more people than the IRA!

Colin Wallace was extremely high up in British intelligence and his claims are known to be highly credible, most of his claims were not made available until years and years after he made them, feel free to read up about him he also attempted to bring attention to the kincora boys scandal years before the RUC had ever even given it any attention.

This is only one person's word the evidence that the British state were responsible for these bombings would fill a history book.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What are the actual sources for any of this? Where was it written?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

It can't be found on any news sites of course as it's quite long, you'll have to download files on the Barron report it was submitted as evidence to that report.

I downloaded mine from the site CAIN a few months back and copied and pasted it from there, it's quite long it's an interesting read though you should read the whole thing.

Just find files on the "Barron report".

Colin Wallace is extremely credible, he was at the top table of the intelligence services at the height of the troubles, he even tried to expose the Kincora boys scandal years before anything about it even appeared in a newspaper.

Just my opinion but likely the reason it was not acted upon is because "It quickly became clear that one man, William McGrath, the house-father of Kincora, who was heavily involved in the sexual abuse of young boys, was an intelligence source for MI5"

As well as being a paedophile, McGrath headed Tara, a shadowy loyalist paramilitary group, which provided a valuable way into both the loyalist underworld and unionist politics.

Also it's suspected that many high profile figures including lord Mountbatten would visit the Kincora home but none of that is fact.

A lot of the stuff Wallace claimed is not based on 100 percent fact but many of it had turned out to be true so I find him extremely credible.

Here's a link to his involvement in Kincora.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/kincora-the-man-who-wants-to-lift-the-lid-off-one-of-the-darkest-secrets-in-ulsters-past-30951854.html

As head of his intelligence unit whose job also included routine public relations work and placing disinformation stories in the press as part of a psychological warfare operation against the Provisional Irish Republican Army

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭paul71

There is a reason the history forum died.

• Advertisement

paul71 wrote: »
    There is a reason the history forum died.

And

Sein Fein Ultras posting tripe.

A retired policeman in dublin told me he believed it was to influence the general election upcoming

Sein Fein Ultras posting tripe.

What about this is tripe? Is this the rubbish you write when you don't like what you hear?

LorenzoB wrote: »
    A retired policeman in dublin told me he believed it was to influence the general election upcoming

The guards actually called off the investigation after just a few months which was quite bizarre, it was alleged in the Barron report that the Fine Gael/Labour government caused or allowed the Garda investigation to end prematurely, for fear that the findings would play into the hands of republicans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I read in a book,I don't remember the name, that the person who actually planted the bomb was a Protestant man from mid-monagh aligned to the glenane ?gang. It seems feasible that British army/ intelligence was involved, as they were in so many of that fangs crimes .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

cj maxx wrote: »
    I read in a book,I don't remember the name, that the person who actually planted the bomb was a Protestant man from mid-monagh aligned to the glenane ?gang. It seems feasible that British army/ intelligence was involved, as they were in so many of that fangs crimes .

:rolleyes:

Adam9213 wrote: »
    What about this is tripe? Is this the rubbish you write when you don't like what you hear?

You are over in the politics forming spouting excuses for the murder of 2 English schoolboys. Yes there are things I choose not to listen to because they are beneath contempt.

You are over in the politics forming spouting excuses for the murder of 2 English schoolboys. Yes there are things I choose not to listen to because they are beneath contempt.

You're over there using it as some sort of excuse to prove your point spouting nonsense because you don't know what to say.

You were asking why the IRA thought killing these boys would help a united Ireland I merely just gave you your answer that they were exploding hundreds of bombs on economic targets every year almost all of which had no deaths but this particular bombing went wrong.

Just answering your question it's not my fault if you don't like the answer.

Adam9213 wrote: »
    You're over there using it as some sort of excuse to prove your point spouting nonsense because you don't know what to say.

You were asking why the IRA thought killing these boys would help a united Ireland I merely just gave you your answer that they were exploding hundreds of bombs on economic targets every year almost all of which had no deaths but this particular bombing went wrong.

Just answering your question it's not my fault if you don't like the answer.

I have not posted there in months because of propaganda dimwits, but I see you do not deny excusing the murder of 2 children. Goodbye.

Advertisement