Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Origin of the Family name

• 09-04-2003 9:52pm
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know a good source for finding out the origins of family names?

I'd love to have some info on my surname as it's a fairly old one from what I can tell, I'd like to know any significant history on it :).

I saw a newsgroup on genealogy under boards.ie->newsgroups but nobody has posted there and newsgroups scare me as I've never used one :( .

So any useful link or info would be great, thnx :D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Hmm - somehow I don't think there's nobody posting on soc.genealogy.ireland - there's always tons! That's why I don't go on there anymore, just too much nonsense.

Give me your surname (PM it to me if you prefer), and I'll have a look in Edward MacLysaght's Surnames of Ireland book, and if it's there I'll post in here or pm it to you.

There's actually a thread in the Gaeilge forum where people are giving their names and the meanings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 loveheartsandnicotine

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    Hmm - somehow I don't think there's nobody posting on soc.genealogy.ireland - there's always tons! That's why I don't go on there anymore, just too much nonsense.

Give me your surname (PM it to me if you prefer), and I'll have a look in Edward MacLysaght's Surnames of Ireland book, and if it's there I'll post in here or pm it to you.

There's actually a thread in the Gaeilge forum where people are giving their names and the meanings.

ok i KNOW this..but tell me anyway..Giolla Easbuig

Originally posted by loveheartsandnicotine
    ok i KNOW this..but tell me anyway..Giolla Easbuig

Mac Giolla Easpuig - Son of the follower of the Bishop :) At least I presume that's the one you're talking about.

MacLysaght:
    This family belongs by origin to Down but was early established in Donegal. Synonyms of the name are Clusby and Glashby in Co. Louth, Clasby in Co. Galway and also by translation, Bishop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

How about Mooney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Mind having a gander for Egan if youve the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If yours is an Irish (Gaeilge) surname then there's an interesting thread over on the Gaeilge (Irish) forum that deals with origins and meanings of Irish surnames which you might find useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

i had some one contact me from england who was doing his famliy history thingy, turns out i am decendant from an english prince who married a commoner and forfieted his right to the throne :D

the other side of the family is jones so very little hope in tracking that donw :)

I'm really going to have to get a copy of MacLysaght's book :D

Anyhow, here's what Woulfe says:
    Ó Maonaigh - (O') Mooney/Moony/Money des. of Maonach (wealthy); the name (1) of a Roscommon famil who were anciently chiefs of Clann Murthuile; (2) of a family of the Uí Fiachrach who were seated on the southern shore of Sligo Bay, in the barony of Tireragh; and (3) of a branch of the Siol nAnmchadha, in the south-east of Co. Galway. At the end of the 16th century, the name was found in all parts of Ireland.
    Egan could be one of two. I guess it figures on where your family came from:
    Mac Aodhagáin - Mac Egan, Egan, Heagan - 'son of Aodhagán' (a diminutive of Aodh (=Hugh))The name of a distinguished brehon family. They originally belonged to the district of Ui Maine in Connacht, but in the 14th and 15th centuires, branches of the family settled in Ormond, Desmond, and many other parts of Ireland where they became brehons to the local chieftains. They also kept schools of law, and many learned men and eminent professors of the same name are mentioned in the Irish annals.
    also
    Ó hAodhagáin - Heagan, Hagan, Egan, Eakin, Higgans - 'des of Aodhagán' (same translation as above); the name of (1) an Oriel family who, in the 10th and 11th centuries were lords of Dartraighte, in Co. Monaghan, and of Ui Niallain, in Co. Armagh, and to which belonged Ivor O'Hegan, the tutor of St. Malachy and founder of the church of SS. Peter and Paul at Armagh; and (2) of a family of Ely-O'Carroll, in the present Offaly. This surname, owing to the different dialectial prouniciations of the syllable 'Aodh' is variously anglicised in different parts of Ireland. In Ulster, it frequently became Ó Faodhagáin.

MacLysaght:
    (O) Mooney Ó Maonaigh. According to Prof. M. A. O'Brien this is from moenach, dumb; Woulfe gives maonach, wealthy. Mooney is widely distributed, being of several distinct septs. That of Co. Sligo uses the form Meeney. Meaney or Mainey is the Munster form.
    (Mac) Egan Mac Aodhagáin (son of Egan). An important brehon family originally of Uí Maine, settled in Ormond. The prefix Mac is now seldom retained with this name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 loveheartsandnicotine

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    Mac Giolla Easpuig - Son of the follower of the Bishop :) At least I presume that's the one you're talking about.

MacLysaght:
    servant or son of a bishop i believe...personally i prefer the son of a bishop....makes me feel i have decadent heritage somewhere....
    Tho as Im female its Ni Giolla Easbuig...tho I have heard it called Nic Easbuig (probably cos of that bishop and his son and the shame factor LOL)
    Tho I knew YOU would know anyhow Dun.
    You never fail to impress...love ya much hon:)) talk soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement