Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorised blinds availability to Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

ted1 wrote: »
    He already did.

No, he actually didn’t. He linked to curtains and the OP asked about blinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

That’s far more expensive that the smart ones who said don’t bother with. ( smart ones are more DIY Install)

What smart ones with all the bells and whistles for €60 or €70?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

€ 40,67 44%OFF | Zemismart WiFi Roller Shade Motor for 37mm Tube Smart Life Alexa Google Home Control Support Alexa Google Home Control
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMZvHZ3

The zemismart ones I mentioned and referred to.

Again, to the OP, and anyone who is interested, I have zemismart curtain rails,and find them very good, and the price is very affordable, I don't have the blinds, but, based on the curtains,.I reckon they are probably a good bet.

One of the rare occasions where I start looking for the ignore function on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

I suppose you get the quality you pay for really. I think Somfy automated blinds are by far the best, and now whats supplied by ACME.

But https://www.electrablinds.ie/ supply a somfy system, for one blind 150 x 150 @ €242.15
    and https://www.blinds-2go.ie/ who supply a generic non branded motor, (I think what wexfordman2 posted above) for one blind 150 x 150 @ €162.56

I have 5 rooms in the house to do, so thats not a small amount of money, but still I think having a smart hub compatible system is worth the extra €500.
    Also, both those options above are considerably cheaper than ordering from ACME

I suppose you get the quality you pay for really. I think Somfy automated blinds are by far the best, and now whats supplied by ACME.

I cant comment, I havnt used either blind type to be honest.
    But https://www.electrablinds.ie/ supply a somfy system, for one blind 150 x 150 @ €242.15
    and https://www.blinds-2go.ie/ who supply a generic non branded motor, (I think what wexfordman2 posted above) for one blind 150 x 150 @ €162.56

I didnt post the blinds-2go link, it was a link to a zemismart motor with wifi. The motor fits inside the tube. Again, I have not used this specific part, but have used and have the zemismart smart/motorised curtains which are wifi and IR remote controlled, and find the quality to be very good.
    I have 5 rooms in the house to do, so thats not a small amount of money, but still I think having a smart hub compatible system is worth the extra €500.

5 of the zemismart blind motors with wifi control (so integrated to google/alexa etc) would set you back about 250 euro in total. Worth testing with at least one to get confidence. I plan to, just need to order in some actual blinds and check the tube diamater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I imagine that blinds 2 go are buying generic ones and applying paddy tax. I'm going to measure the tubes for the IKEA roller blinds i have. (175 wide) and order some of the generic ones and will post a review and video once installed.

https://photobucket.com/u/wexfordman/p/6e9369c0-4d05-443a-b1b4-b551899971e9

Quici video if the zemismart automated curtains. Note, my phone mic is very sensitive, so they sound noisy, but in reality are quiet, if you even listen to the volume level when I lift the curtains to show the motor, it sounds like I am dragging a sheet of plywood across a floor.

The zemismart ones are quieter than the other ones I have, but as I said, I have 3 sets of smart curtains now, and the zemismart are the ones I would recommend , slightly better quality.

Be interested if anyone gets the blinds with the built in motor, it's in my wish list for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Be interested if anyone gets the blinds with the built in motor, it's in my wish list for the moment
    It's on the long finger but hoping to to try it out in the next few months if I get my act together!

Quici video if the zemismart automated curtains.

Very cool.
    What happens if someone closes/opens them manually?

Very cool.
    What happens if someone closes/opens them manually?

Once you tug one curtain, the motor kicks in and does the rest, and the status is updated .

So, you have manual control, an rf remote control, app control, scheduled control, and control via Google or alexa.

If you have no power, they work as normal and can be manually opened/closed.

Where I find them most beneficial, is in bedrooms, for example, a bedroom, you might not go near till late at night, but if you shcedule them to close at sunset, then they close automatically. The most noticable difference here is heat, you genuinely notice a difference in heat retention within the room, which you tend to not get with manual curtains that you dont often close unless you are in the room. The bedrooms are actually warmer.

A genuine practical application/benefit, for what is to many a gadget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Apologies if im repeating anything guys - I've only speed read the thread.

I'll just throw in my experience on the matter (its a bit rambly)
    I just installed ikea smart blinds last week. 7 blinds in total (6x80cm + 1x60cm) they are all in a row around a patio door leading into a wrap around window at the end of my extension (window and door are at 2 different levels)

I didn't really research other blinds (until after i installed them).... but i had the whole tradfri light system integrated with alexa and a DIY smart home alarm system, and i know how to hack the tradfri hub to control the blinds myself if i need to.... this is what mainly swayed me towards making the ikea blinds work for me.
    Does anyone know the tube size that IKEA use for their standard roller blinds.
    40mm according to this guy @ 2:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU3QduvbkRc - same as somfy.
    I actually had one opened up (further details below) - but didnt check the diameter for myself.

blackout (fyrtur) V non-blackout (kadrijl)
    They only have 2 types. I actually ended up buying the non-blackout first by mistake. The kadrijl (non blackout) ones are actually a darker grey in colour than the Fyrtur (blackout) ones - i think this is what confused me when ordering online.
    Anyway, since i couldnt return them (returns closed, click n collect only during level 5 lockdown) I proceeded to put them up anyway (well i put 2 of them up and just the brackets for the rest). IMO they (kadrijl) are pretty useless. I don't know why anyone would want that level of light coming in.
    I ordered the Fyrtur ones and have the kadrijls packed up and ready to go back for a refund when they re-open properly. I've since installed the Fyrturs and they are much better.

See pic of the 2 types side by side -
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xv22UbfgoIMzs_0WIZkTmB9jsm8Cy6Y3/view?usp=sharing

Cutting the blinds
    People will prob be interested in this. I had to cut one of them. There's plenty of youtube videos, I had a look around til i was comfortable with the procedure.
    This is the one i mainly followed (except i didnt put tape on my tape measure, i remembered the number, like a normal person :) ) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL6LPZZoFlo
    It was really easy, and you wouldn't notice the cut to the frame - even though i used a blunt hack saw blade.
    I'll concede that if you look really closely at the material when the blind is down you may see where the scissors slightly deviated, but there were no frayed edges or anything like that.
    Took me a bout half an hour if i had to do another one id say id have it done in 15 mins.
    Tip: Mark the frame all the way around and draw a line up the material putting in plenty of measurement points and joining them up. Use a decent hacksaw blade and a decent scissors for cutting the material.
    (Note: I only cut the Fyrtur one, the material on the kadrijl is lighter but I'd say it would be ok to cut too)
    Also in that video i linked, he doesnt say anything about making a hole for the endcap screw after you cut the frame. I just measured where the old hole was and made a new one, the aluminum was easy to drill. That said, you would probably get away with having no hole/screw at all.
    Also, after he cuts the material he leaves a bit of material glued to the tube. This is easy to get off, just run a stanley round it in line with your cut and it peels off relatively easily.
    And another thing I just noticed, when he marks the bottom rail for cutting @1:20, he should mark it after removing the end cap as apposed to before.

For me personally (considering myself mildly handy), even though ikea say they aren't for re-sizing, I would not let this get in the way of a purchase.

Installing (physical)
    you need to fit 2 brackets to the reveal or you can fit them to the face of the wall above the window. I just put mine up with brown rawl plugs as the plasterboard was dabbed on and there was a decent (but not huge) gap between it and the steel lintel above. They are well secure IMO. I didn't want to go drilling into the steel.
    The position of the brackets can be anywhere along the frame tracks (obviously try space them out to carry the load evenly) ....but this gives you a bit of leeway - e.g. if you have battens you want to go into you can move the bracket along to match. In contrast, with blinds that have end fixings - there is only one place you can drill your holes - downside of having the frame though is that the blinds are a bit bulkier and sit a bit lower than traditional end fixed blinds.

Max drop length
    Setting the max drop on the blinds was really easy, you just lower the blind to the level you want using the buttons on the frame of the blind, and double click one of them when its at desired level. After this your blinds will never go lower than that level. (theres a way to undo it, i cant remember the details, particular button combo or something)
    One set of my blinds were at the max 2m but the other was about 1.4m because of the window sill.

Installing (app + controls)
    Each blind comes with battery, charger, signal repeater, and up/down switch.
    The book that comes with it kind of contradicts what the app says. Its like the book is telling you how to install it so it can be run standalone with the switch. In this case the repeater is mandatory.
    My advice is if you intend running the blinds from your hub (i.e. using the ikea app on your phone or alexa/google assistant) then ignore the book and go straight to the ikea app to install it. Each controller can control up to 4 blinds, and I used the book's instructions to pair 2 controllers to a set of 4 and a set of 3 blinds.
    Then when i went to the app to use it from there, i basically had to go through the whole pairing process again, pairing the controller(s) with the blinds after i had paired the controller with the hub.
    I still have a repeater plugged in, but I'm not sure I need it, and I havent gotten around to trying it.
    All that said, its not the hardest thing in the world to do.

Using them with alexa
    This is predominantly how we control the lights so wanted the same with the blinds. In summary it works well for opening and closing - no issues at all. Added all the blinds (blind 1, blind2, blind 3 etc etc) to a group and away you go - alexa, close "the group name" blinds.
    However for some reason, alexa doesnt support the percentage feature for groups.... but it does for individual blinds. So i can say alexa, set "blind 1" to 50% - but i cant say alexa set extension blinds to 50%.
    Now, to get around this i set a routine called "blinds halfway" to set each individual blind to 50% when i say "Alexa, blinds halfway". But because i had "blinds" in the name, alexa seems to take this as an attempt to use the blinds smart device feature, rather than recognising its one of my routines.
    So i dropped the "blinds" from routine name.... and it worked...once!
    At the moment, If i press the button for the routine it works, but if i say "Alexa, halfway" i get a funny error tone back from her. Not sure what the issue is, but i think i'll be able to resolve it.
    One thing to note if you have multiple blinds in a set, whether you use the physical controls, your home assistant or the app... the blinds don't all go up/down at the same level. They will all stop where they are supposed to, and they move at the same speed, but they start moving at slightly different times meaning they are not in an exact straight line when they are opening/closing. The difference I am talking is max 30/40mm. Most people wont care, it can annoy some people though.

Over-all I'm happy with them in general and how they work. The biggest negative is the size constraint. On one stretch, Ideally I would have liked 2x 1.6m blinds instead had to go for 4x .8m. This results in a gap of about 40mm between each blind side by side when they are down.

Hope it helps someone decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just thought I'd share my findings, after buying a couple of automated blind motors. I went for the BENEXMART Wifi Roller Shade Driver purchased on Amazon, when they were £59 each (I bought two). I went with this style, as I wanted the solution to fit in with my pre-existing blinds, which are large (180cm x 220cm) and have beaded cords, and it was significantly cheaper than other options, which were all around the £100 region. I should mention that roller blinds with beaded cords seem to be on their way out, for child safety reasons, but I'm sure I'll be able to get replacement blinds after these ones get a little shabby.

The blind motors are pretty big, so if aesthetics are a big thing for you, you may want to opt for something built into the roller. Not such a big issue for me, as the blind motors are out of sight and quite inaccessible. These come with a 5254.054ma battery, which should be good for six months, and you can plug in a USB cable to charge them up without having to remove them (which is pretty easy to do anyway), which was also a selling point, as one of the blinds isn't anywhere near a plug socket.

I had initially thought that the separate USB Wifi 'dongle' plugged into the base of the blind motor, but I was wrong on that one. The USB dongles need to be powered independently, which is a bit of a pain. They seem to be an RF to Wifi converter, but the range seems good and I haven't had any problems, once I found a couple of sockets with always-on USB power. They were super easy to fit (less than 10 minutes each), easy to configure despite incorrect instructions, and once you have installed the Tuya app, operating them is easy, from the supplied remote controls, Google, Alexa, etc. The blind motors themselves are really quiet and very smooth, and you can set an upper, lower and mid-point blind heights. If you have multiple blinds (e.g. conservatory), I'm not sure that these would be the right solution for you, as while you can create routines (and integrate with IFTTT etc., you'd need to have one Wifi dongle per blind, which would be annoying. So, a (relatively) cheap and cheerful solution that works well, if it fits your environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Just thought I'd share my findings, after buying a couple of automated blind motors. I went for the BENEXMART Wifi Roller Shade Driver purchased on Amazon, when they were £59 each (I bought two). I went with this style, as I wanted the solution to fit in with my pre-existing blinds, which are large (180cm x 220cm) and have beaded cords, and it was significantly cheaper than other options, which were all around the £100 region. I should mention that roller blinds with beaded cords seem to be on their way out, for child safety reasons, but I'm sure I'll be able to get replacement blinds after these ones get a little shabby.

The blind motors are pretty big, so if aesthetics are a big thing for you, you may want to opt for something built into the roller. Not such a big issue for me, as the blind motors are out of sight and quite inaccessible. These come with a 5254.054ma battery, which should be good for six months, and you can plug in a USB cable to charge them up without having to remove them (which is pretty easy to do anyway), which was also a selling point, as one of the blinds isn't anywhere near a plug socket.

I had initially thought that the separate USB Wifi 'dongle' plugged into the base of the blind motor, but I was wrong on that one. The USB dongles need to be powered independently, which is a bit of a pain. They seem to be an RF to Wifi converter, but the range seems good and I haven't had any problems, once I found a couple of sockets with always-on USB power. They were super easy to fit (less than 10 minutes each), easy to configure despite incorrect instructions, and once you have installed the Tuya app, operating them is easy, from the supplied remote controls, Google, Alexa, etc. The blind motors themselves are really quiet and very smooth, and you can set an upper, lower and mid-point blind heights. If you have multiple blinds (e.g. conservatory), I'm not sure that these would be the right solution for you, as while you can create routines (and integrate with IFTTT etc., you'd need to have one Wifi dongle per blind, which would be annoying. So, a (relatively) cheap and cheerful solution that works well, if it fits your environment.

Thanks a mill for this post, from looking around at a few options, Im going to try this setup first and see how it works as well. Im sure I'll be back with plenty of questions.
    Like you, my blinds are very wide (in two rooms anyway), 220cm. Im hoping the mechanism wont struggle with a blind this width...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

I use Ajax Online Blind Engine Motor– Smart WIFI Blinds Motor for Roller, Horizontal blinds, and curtains with pull cords & side mechanism. Compatible with Alexa, Google Home and Apple Siri Using Shortcuts.

Wired solution and can be noisy for the few seconds that it is on. No need for a hub. Big advantage for me was that you can set up on LHS or RHS. Having the ability to turn on via Alexa is nice but having them automatically come up / down at sunrise/ sunset or when we are away is the real winner.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YL4L498/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_FLe8Fb3H81VCN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I went with the IKEA Fyrtur. I have them working with the switch but cannot connect them to my Echo Dot 4th Gen. I don't have a Tradfri and didn't think I needed it with the Echo 4 Dot as it acts as a Hub. But when I put the blind on pairing mode Alexa doesn't pick it up as a new device. I can't get the IKEA home app running as I don't have a Tradfri to pair with it. Anyone any ideas?

Edit: turns out my Echo Dot doesn't have the Zigbee hub so I'll need to get a hub to get it to work through Alexa

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks a mill for this post, from looking around at a few options, Im going to try this setup first and see how it works as well. Im sure I'll be back with plenty of questions.
    Like you, my blinds are very wide (in two rooms anyway), 220cm. Im hoping the mechanism wont struggle with a blind this width...
    Just in case you hadn't invested yet, just spotted this on Aliexpress, which seems to have the Wifi module built-in (which would be a lot more convenient), but is a powered version (rather than battery), which explains why it is so much cheaper (€38 delivered from China - may get hit for additional vat/customs). Otherwise seems identical in operation. Or alternatively, the same battery version which requires external Wifi USB dongle is €52.54 delivered from Belgium. I'm going to order the mains powered integrated Wifi model and give it a pop - also interfaces via Tuya.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone see a good price around Amazon DE / ES / FR on battery ones?

See the powered ones available for about €50 here: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B08R77YZWZ?tag=haggle-android-es-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace (albeit from Spain with an EU plug presumably)

EDIT: Spotted Krusty's post above. Option from BangGood looks solid.

Torn actually.. internal WiFi model but mains powered Vs external WiFi but battery powered.

I would go for the powered version for definate as long as you can get power to it.

I would go for the powered version for definate as long as you can get power to it.
    Yeah - haven't even gotten the blinds installed yet so I have the option but problem is a lack of plug points on RHS where I'd need cable to go (at least for the option for manual use).

Could run an extension point behind couch in front of it I suppose.

Like the idea of battery and reputable ones do last months - though not sure about these ones.

If you havnt got the blinds fitted yet, have you looked at the ones where the motor is fitted inside the tube ?

• Advertisement

If you havnt got the blinds fitted yet, have you looked at the ones where the motor is fitted inside the tube ?
    Yeah, the crowd selling the blinds want roughly €150 additional for each blind with it.. it's a nice to have at probably a €50 - €75 price point but don't think it warrants half the cost again on top of a blind.

Take a look at ali Express they have a good few, the zemismart brand are quite good for electric curtainsz and they also do roller blinds.

I've bought 3 sets off aliexpress and a fourth in the way, electric curtains now, not blinds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Does anyone know what width ikea Fridans roller blind tube is? Can't seem to find it online

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gfaces

I recently added motorisation to several of my blinds. I purchased dooya dm15le motors.
    The 15 is the diameter of the motor (15mm) and the le indicates its lithium rechargeable battery powered. These motors will drive blinds with aluminium tubes from 17mm upto 28mm.
    You may need to get adapters for the crown and drive end of the motor to suit your tube.

I also purchased some Dooya DC920 remote controls. These can control upto five blinds and you can also set timers on them so the blinds come up in the morning and down in the evening say.

The motors were 50 euro and the remotes a relatively expensive 25 euro each thou you can get cheaper ones.

All in circa 80 euro a blind. Dooya and Somfy are part of the same group and most of what
    people are selling are OEM branded Dooya motors with Dooya controls. All bought on Aliexpress. Ordered on the 25th of Jan arrived 5th of Feb.

Take a look at ali Express they have a good few, the zemismart brand are quite good for electric curtainsz and they also do roller blinds.

I've bought 3 sets off aliexpress and a fourth in the way, electric curtains now, not blinds

I am looking to get some motorised curtains. I have a bay window so will need some 135 degree joins. Did the zenismart track set have the option for these?

gfaces wrote: »
    I am looking to get some motorised curtains. I have a bay window so will need some 135 degree joins. Did the zenismart track set have the option for these?

Yep, but I think you order the bends separately, alongside an articulated trolley, pm the seller first before you order.

I'm still delighted with mine, have 4 sets of curtains done now, and the next one will also be a bay window like yours.

Yep, but I think you order the bends separately, alongside an articulated trolley, pm the seller first before you order.

I'm still delighted with mine, have 4 sets of curtains done now, and the next one will also be a bay window like yours.

Yes looks like a nice product. Did you buy from Usmart life store (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1955049?spm=0.8937474.0.0.62012e0eH6Edph) or the Zenismart official store (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1848374?spm=0.8937474.0.0.62012e0eH6Edph).

The additional bends that can be purchased are 135 or 90 degree bends.

My bay window is approx 120 degree https://pasteboard.co/JOmaI5o.jpg

. Do you think the 1 metre lengths of track would take a slight bend?

I bought from the usmartlife store, and very happy, a few issues over delivery times, but that's what happens with Ali express. Funnily enough, the last shipment I got came from China via Singapore and was faster than from Belgium (I ordered from Belgium but he couldn't ship from there due to covid and brexit, so offered to ship from China and pay the duties)

Not sure what you mean by would the 1m tracks take a slight bend, sorry. If you mean can you physically bend them, I would say no, don't even try. Remember, you need to get the bend piece and the trolly also is articulated (in two pieces to allow it flow around the bend) compared to the straight run.

Not sure if I am explaining myself properly sorry, but to be clear, you 100% need the added bends and articulated trolly for a bay window, these are additional items not in your standard straight curtain solution.

Again, I am planning on doing our bay window next, but will be a few months probably before I do it (buying the curtains during lockdown is the problem).

• Advertisement

Also, for info, the last set I got from him were the "newer design" which is by far the best, in that the motor is quieter and the power connection to it is a pluggable kettle lead as opposed to a permanent cable fromthe motor. Try get that version

Advertisement