Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is There Anybody Out There ....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Stigura wrote: »
    Have. All written down. Phone so faster. Pm my no?

Do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Do.

Nope. Credit on 3. Not that ¦(

Nope. Credit on 3. Not that ¦(

Boot Win and restart the Acer using USB Linux.

Back on ~ acer for who knows?

Tried above. Same old. Made notes of every step.

Really appreciate the phone call. But, I just can't fathom this. It really seems doze is messing with the acer (My mate got the same, 'after time' updates. Reckons he's fine) No idea when the freaky boxes will appear here now.

HP? I genuinely wonder if putting the CD in, while the machine was stood on its side end upset something? I seem to remember it got shirty right around then.

Bottom line? I can quite accept that doze is messing with this acer. Par for the course.

But; Why has Linux suddenly started saying my wires aren't connected? When A. It all worked fantastically, 'yesterday'. And B. I never Have had an Ethernet connection, of any way shape or form :confused:

Shhhh!!! Don't, for gods sake, tell Billy I'm still managing to get through on his 7!

Your best course of action now is to try to get the HP machine booting with Linux with a view to installing on it.
    After installation you can ensure that you have a good solid connection to the internet set up.

Does the HP boot Windows?

• Advertisement

BTW, did you get your registration approval in the PCLOS forum?

HP booted doze fine. Till I put a music cd in it. Now, it says I need to remove the wrong disc. There's nothing in there. I have no doze os discs either.

PCLOS? I'm in, thanks.

Having, as ever, slept on the problem; I think we safely say this acer, in a fashion, 'overheats' with ise. Not literally. But, it'll start to play up. Then behave again after I leave it alone.

HP booted doze fine. Till I put a music cd in it. Now, it says I need to remove the wrong disc. There's nothing in there. I have no doze os discs either.

PCLOS? I'm in, thanks.

Having, as ever, slept on the problem; I think we safely say this acer, in a fashion, 'overheats' with ise. Not literally. But, it'll start to play up. Then behave again after I leave it alone.

Keep the Acer for getting on line for the present, using Win ..... no matter the colour.

Concentrate on the HP.
    Get the hardware details when running Win ...... CPU, RAM, graphics details etc.

From unplugged, can you boot Linux using the live USB?
    If not then note the exact error message and post it on the PCLOS forum.
    Someone should have an idea what is wrong from that.

" Unplugged "? Ye mean, literally, take the plug out the wall :confused:

" Unplugged "? Ye mean, literally, take the plug out the wall :confused:

Either that or if there is a switch on the socket turn it off, or take the power plug out of the PC.

So, yes, disconnect the PC from power and do what is termed a 'cold boot'.
    That ensures that no settings are retained and you get a clean boot attempt.

• Advertisement

That's the weirdest thing I ever heard of! Okay. I'll have to turn off the acer and swap the screen round, to see what the hp does.

Back presently.

That's the weirdest thing I ever heard of! Okay. I'll have to turn off the acer and swap the screen round, to see what the hp does.

Back presently.

I thought you had both screens connected at one time and just switched between them using the screen menu.

I also do not quite get why you need to turn off the Acer to turn off the HP ..... can you not just pull the HP plug after it has shut down?

Been Far too busy, with all this, to even think about adding more to my load ~ like playing with screen switching, John. Ye know me, by now; One thing at a time. Then sleep on it! :o

Anyway; That got 'interesting'. So much so that I'm actually now actively considering the overdraft. Wondering if I could snatch a new machine from Carrick.

I unplugged the hp. Stuck the stick in it. Nothing happened, that I could discern.

(Ye kidding me!!! It just said new doze updates are available!!!)

Took the stick out. Plugged the plug in the wall. Hit the button on the hp. Wow!!!

Now, I'm deaf. I can only just hear with my left ear. This makes of very hard for me to pin point sounds. But, as there are no railways here, I knew the sound of a rushing train must be from something under my desk.

First, I thought this old printer had got switched on. But, it turned out to be the hp. It was roaring / groaning and a little red light was flashing. Oh; It beeped some too. But, I was really too distracted by all the roaring to much notice that.

The red light was on a light bulb icon. A battery icon, next to it, was off. U unplugged the hp. (Product # KP721AV) I did attemp to google, on my phone, what that all mean't. But, I got side tracked by the acer. Here we go again:

I plugged the screen back onto the acer and fired her up. Screen came up, all text, to say I'd failed to start and it wanted to run some diagnostics. Click.

And that's where I've been, John. Sat here for half an hour while doze worked out it was probably just me putting the screen plug back on! I'm now typing to you from the perfectly functioning ~ for the minute, at least ~ acer.

This one, we know, is being a cantankerous little schit. I strongly suspect the hp is now a door stop. All I did was slip it the latest Springsteen album! :eek:

Seems to me that HP is very old and knackered ....... IF I understand what you have 0 but not sure of course.

There are lots of cheap working PCs on Adverts ...... even some sellers in Tipp ...... some of which might suit if that is what you want.
    I saw some with Win 10 installed, so they must be reasonable compared to that HP.

Of course the best specification you can buy (more modern PC) the better your experience will be, whether with Windows or Linux.

If buying an old PC make sure it is a 64bit CPU.

Wondering if it might be worth a shot at running the " Ethernet Unplugged " thing past that forum, John?

If we could get past that? This acer should be fine ~ or as fine as it can be now. It must be pretty old. That's why I bought the hp. Back up for the day the acer goes teets up. Shame about the hp! :pac:

We cross posted :)

Yeah, I'm under no illusions that I'm Not on borrowed time here. Acer's been great, all along. Doze has screwed that one. (Weirdly; my mate has 7 and reckons his is fine :confused: I think Bill just hates me. It's the way I post! :D)

Hp's definitely a door stop now. Even I know that that level of screeching, groaning, beeping and flashing is no good. It was like a woman! :P

Maybe I should now sleep on the consideration of my finances, Vs a new machine altogether? We mustn't lose sight of the fact this thing Will 'overheat' again at some point. One time, it won't recover :(

I'm doomed, John :D

We cross posted :)

Yeah, I'm under no illusions that I'm Not on borrowed time here. Acer's been great, all along. Doze has screwed that one. (Weirdly; my mate has 7 and reckons his is fine :confused: I think Bill just hates me. It's the way I post! :D)

Hp's definitely a door stop now. Even I know that that level of screeching, groaning, beeping and flashing is no good. It was like a woman! :P

Maybe I should now sleep on the consideration of my finances, Vs a new machine altogether? We mustn't lose sight of the fact this thing Will 'overheat' again at some point. One time, it won't recover :(

I'm doomed, John :D

Seems like your Acer could do with a service ....... clean it out; get rid of dust and crud; and apply some fresh thermal paste to the heatsink.
    That might stop it overheating.

What model Acer is it?

Acer Veriton NG281G.

Funnily enough; My mate said to drop it down to him. With a view to that, I brushed and blew it. Wiped a lot of surface dust off. Came up pretty good!

I have one of these extreme blowers on my wish list. Eighty quid. But, a beast. Burning nuggets in this room creates a LOT of pink dust. Gets everywhere.

Mate once brought his compressor up here. Blew out my old lap top. It was like something from Monty Python! We both, literally, vanished from eachother in this massive cloud of punk dust! :D

Acer Veriton NG281G.

Funnily enough; My mate said to drop it down to him. With a view to that, I brushed and blew it. Wiped a lot of surface dust off. Came up pretty good!

I have one of these extreme blowers on my wish list. Eighty quid. But, a beast. Burning nuggets in this room creates a LOT of pink dust. Gets everywhere.

Mate once brought his compressor up here. Blew out my old lap top. It was like something from Monty Python! We both, literally, vanished from eachother in this massive cloud of punk dust! :D

Take him up on that offer ASAP ;)

I can find no info on that N281G :(
    I don't suppose you would have a link to a web page for it?

• Advertisement

Thanks.

I guess the main differences would be yours has 1GB RAM and the other 2GB.
    What is the max ram yours can take?
    There are probably a couple of other differences such as what CPU does yours have?
    How do the connections compare etc.

Untitled.jpg

That's my one. No idea about the 2. Just looks identical ~ outwardly ~ to my glance.

*I'm quietly astounded at how well this one's behaving today. Couldn't possibly have been a mote of dust, surely to god?! I have to go out presently. But, I'm wondering what might happen if I tried Linux again? Though, I can't see dust in the acer effecting what the stick does :confused:*

Untitled.jpg

That's my one. No idea about the 2. Just looks identical ~ outwardly ~ to my glance.

*I'm quietly astounded at how well this one's behaving today. Couldn't possibly have been a mote of dust, surely to god?! I have to go out presently. But, I'm wondering what might happen if I tried Linux again? Though, I can't see dust in the acer effecting what the stick does :confused:*

Looks the same as the '2' ...... maybe just the release number or the connections on the back.
    Anyway that is good.

If the Acer overheats then that will affect any OS running on it. If that is your problem or not I have no real way of knowing.

I suggest you either turn off completely the Win updates ..... there are instructions about on how to achieve that ..... or else let it sit there and update to 10.
    You can always do a fresh install of 7 later if you find the ISO for it. :D

:rolleyes: Good thinking, Batman! I was so hung up on being sure to block updates on the hp; It never even crossed my mind to stop them on this!

Just done it. Thanks!

:) Let's enjoy a night of ~ hopefully! ~ peace, tonight, John.

Just spoke to my mate, D. He's dead nonchalant about the 'exploding' hp. " Just drop it off next time ye passing. Might only need a battery. " :eek: What ever. He's welcome to amuse himself tinkering. I've got nothing to loose.

The acer had ~ 'obviously' ~ just over heated :rolleyes: D reckons they do what mine did. Self preservation thing? What ever. It's been on for eleven hours now. Absolutely zero issues! (Touch wood!)

Ironically, it was him asking me to drop it off, and my sense of pride ~ needing to deliver it clean ....! Guess I wiped, and brushed and Blew all the crap out of it! Only the size of a decent cigar box, after all.

But, best of all ~ and more to the core topic? I actually found myself enthusing, to Several people, that I reckon Linux actually Beats doze! :eek:

Seriously! The sheer amount of stuff I was flashing past, on my little excursions to infil behind enemy lines? Wow! I'm Pumped! :D

I Will get a more 'reliable' base machine. I Will get Linux on it. And I most definitely will become an absolutely insufferable bloody bore and snob about it!

None so grindingly irritating as the converted, eh? And I'm a total convert! Thanks to You! ;)

Tonight, we relax. Tomorrow? Maybe we can rustle up a decent template for my post on that forum? As much Where to put it as anything :confused: Something for me to sleep on.

:) Let's enjoy a night of ~ hopefully! ~ peace, tonight, John.

Just spoke to my mate, D. He's dead nonchalant about the 'exploding' hp. " Just drop it off next time ye passing. Might only need a battery. " :eek: What ever. He's welcome to amuse himself tinkering. I've got nothing to loose.

The acer had ~ 'obviously' ~ just over heated :rolleyes: D reckons they do what mine did. Self preservation thing? What ever. It's been on for eleven hours now. Absolutely zero issues! (Touch wood!)

Ironically, it was him asking me to drop it off, and my sense of pride ~ needing to deliver it clean ....! Guess I wiped, and brushed and Blew all the crap out of it! Only the size of a decent cigar box, after all.

But, best of all ~ and more to the core topic? I actually found myself enthusing, to Several people, that I reckon Linux actually Beats doze! :eek:

Seriously! The sheer amount of stuff I was flashing past, on my little excursions to infil behind enemy lines? Wow! I'm Pumped! :D

I Will get a more 'reliable' base machine. I Will get Linux on it. And I most definitely will become an absolutely insufferable bloody bore and snob about it!

None so grindingly irritating as the converted, eh? And I'm a total convert! Thanks to You! ;)

Tonight, we relax. Tomorrow? Maybe we can rustle up a decent template for my post on that forum? As much Where to put it as anything :confused: Something for me to sleep on.

You want something to sleep on? Here ye go ......

AFTER you get the HP running with Linux, and Linux connecting to the internet from the install, THEN you could consider doing a Dual Boot set up on the Acer.

It can be done by making free space on the Acer hard disk drive (from within Windows preferably) and then booting with the USB stick and installing to the space you freed up.
    With that set up you get a choice at boot time, on the selection screen from Linux, to boot either Linux OR Windows.
    You can have both on the one Acer! :D

I have not encouraged this before because a wrong slip could end up wiping Windows, but at the present time you need that for internet use.

So sweet dreams :D

:) Another day, another drama.

Todays waking epiphany was that; Surely, if dust was making doze act up? It must have been the same dust messing with my Linux connection?!

Lept off my futon and fired her up ..... Only to spot that hateful little globe, with the no go sign! :( Gutted!

That truly is the hurdle we need to get over, John, before Anything else can happen. Your call, mate. Ask on that forum?

Now, regards dling Linux in any way, shape or form? I was a bit over enthusiastic, this morning! :o Looking at all that lovely Linux ~ and wondering if ..... I hit the Install button.

Blimey! That taught me! I realised I ~ for what ever reason ~ hadn't yet fully grasped what the video was telling me to do next! (I think I'd lost sound at that point, so was trying to memorise what his cursor was doing)

Of course, his cursor was flicking everywhere and I was hearing nothing ..... I knew enough not to let it wipe doze and install. I tried to get it alongside doze, on the doze partition? Not enough room. I got the hell out of Dodge, before I Really dug myself a hole!

Now, hopefully, it's nothing. But; My internet bill's due today. But, there's a slight niggle. (They sent. I sent back. Now, they want the tracking #, which my mare's bringing me " Later on " .....)

It could happen. If we manage to perfect this schit storm, to wit; Mate turns up after their warehouse has knocked off and their phone people can't email the warehouse fast enough to see where the package went?

It's probably more probable than possible that they'll just pull the plug on me, till such time as They can sort it out! :(

So; If I suddenly go quiet ..... Right now though, I'm off to build a door for this cubby hole. One of my Dogs is a pathological wire chewer. And all the stuff sticking out of the acer has her in paroxysms of need to bite!

Do NOT attempt to install on the Acer!
    It is your only working PC so keep it in that condition.
    Linux is NOT a Windows application, so it needs its own space on the HDD. To get that space you will likely have to reduce Win into a smaller space.
    That is for the future - AFTER you have another working PC!

By all means play with Linux on it - running liveUSB.
    You should be able to do most things you can do after it gets installed.

That I *think* should get an internet connection, if you first run Win and reboot into Linux.

You need to confirm that as soon as possible.

This thread on the PCLinuxOS forum concerns setting up a dongle somewhat like yours

https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,150631.0.html

I am aware that the majority of what is written will be meaningless to you, but it means to me that once you have things settled with your hardware all should be OK using your dongle.

• Advertisement

Right. Cool! This means we've come to a seamless juncture at which to Halt. Perfect :)

Ye see; I need another machine? Okay. It'll probably be a week before I can get the hp to Dean O'. Obviously, I'm not gonna dash out, trying to buy one before he's had a fiddle.

And I need to mess with my modem? Again; The gods are smiling! Because, that's Exactly what I'm talking to 3 about! They're sending me a newer version of the one I have! :D

So, ye see? It's the absolutely Perfect moment to put our tools down. Sigh a deep sigh. And leave the workshop. You can wander off and get on with enjoying what ever it is you enjoy. I can go and start work on finishing a trap which has been the focus of much discussion on DIY.

I get my pension on the 31st. Shall we make that a date, for a little regroup and debrief? I should have the new modem by then. I'll also have a far clearer vision of what I'll be trying next.

Of course, if anything should crop up, before then? I'll hit this thread to recall ye. Right now though? I'm in a cuddly, warm space. Simply looking forward to the day when I can say " I run Linux. " (Tell ye what, John? I'll bet I'll become bloody insufferable! Practically accosting strangers in the street, to ask them why They don't run Linux! :D)

Weee! See that? I just went from " Lynux " to " Linux ". Must have been driving you spare all this time! :o I suddenly doubted myself and googled it. It's like a tiny fragment of dyslexia stuck in my brain. Always had it. Get an 'idea' of a word at first glance? Murder to shake it.

Anyway, I'll shut up. It's enthusiasm. I did it on the other place too :o

A Million 'Thank You's', Johnboy. Enjoy ye Oh so well earned break from me! LOL!

Advertisement