Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wedding in 10 weeks and suddenly offered a business!!

• 24-08-2017 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

We're getting married in 10 weeks. So far we've bought all the suits and dresses. We paid a total of €1,000 in deposits for the band, photographer and hotel (wine reception, dinner, and dj). The remaining balance due on these is €4,800. We still have to get flowers and rings. I'm hoping to spend no more than €1,000 on these combined. Family members are covering cars, bus and cake. We've budgeted in another €1,000 for miscellaneous extras (eg. toast round). So total left to pay is €6,800. Firstly, any thoughts or input on this?

We have €4,000 saved and in laws giving €3,300. €7,300. So where's the problem right?

Well, I've just been offered a business for €5,000. It's not very profitable right now (€1,200 per month) but has good potential. However, I have too much going on with the wedding and honeymoon (straight afterwards - only flights paid for!!) to put any investment in for advertising/marketing. So I would only make what it's making now until I can. It's wrecking my head what to do. Is it too risky??

Also, the owner has other offers and wants out within 3 weeks from now for personal reasons.

Help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DeltaDelta

Personally, if I was in your position I would focus on your wedding! Opportunities come and go. There will always be another one to come your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

5k personal loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Offer a bit more to be paid in installments from the businesses earnings?

Offer a deposit and agree to take it over post wedding? It's likely you'll have the money after the wedding but you need to agree it with your spouse.

Are those figures right?

Business makes 12,000pa profit and is for sale for 5,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Darocketeer

Offer a bit more to be paid in installments from the businesses earnings?

Offer a deposit and agree to take it over post wedding? It's likely you'll have the money after the wedding but you need to agree it with your spouse.

She's in the same frame of mind as me. Any other time she'd say go for it because she knows I'll try anything and everything to make it work but the timing is terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

bren2002 wrote: »
    Are those figures right?

Maybe OP means 1,200 turnover per month?

Possibly. Still seems very low. To price it at 10 times earnings it makes a profit of less than €50 a month on a turnover of 1,200 per month.

Something doesnt fit right with this.

Hi,

Well, I've just been offered a business for €5,000. It's not very profitable right now (€1,200 per month) but has good potential. However, I have too much going on with the wedding and honeymoon (straight afterwards - only flights paid for!!) to put any investment in for advertising/marketing. So I would only make what it's making now until I can. It's wrecking my head what to do. Is it too risky??

Also, the owner has other offers and wants out within 3 weeks from now for personal reasons.

Help!!!

The business will pay for itself in 20 weeks! I'll take it.

OP, if it is kosher, find a way.

Are those figures right?

The owner hasn't done any advertising in 3.5 years and has let a lot of his customer base be snatched away without response. I know advertising is not guaranteed to increase business but it's very cost effective (€80 for 1,500 leaflets and €150 for small ad in local paper) and wouldn't hurt. I estimate an increase of 15 - 20% in revenue just by telling people we're here.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Maybe OP means 1,200 turnover per month?

€1,200 "profit" would be closer to reality. However, I need to take a wage out of this and it's a full time venture.

• Advertisement

Several factors that only you can decide. On face of it, €5000 is not a lot to put in, if you think you can get it back in a few months and take it from there. But does it fit you? Can you deliver the service/ product? How much competition? Will you keep the customers? What overheads? And so on.

I'll just restate my point.

On the figures provided something is wrong.

Are you buying debt too?

LorenzoB wrote: »
    The business will pay for itself in 20 weeks! I'll take it.

OP, if it is kosher, find a way.

You're like the little devil on my shoulder! Or maybe the king of common sense. I still don't know!!! I mean the timing is just terrible

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Several factors that only you can decide. On face of it, €5000 is not a lot to put in, if you think you can get it back in a few months and take it from there. But does it fit you? Can you deliver the service/ product? How much competition? Will you keep the customers? What overheads? And so on.

As it stands the overheads are €900 per week and turnover is between €1,150 and €1,230 per week. The staff and equipment are all long term so no real concerns there. The customer base is very very small at the moment hence the urgent need for advertising and after that I'll have to look at ways of retaining these new customers. As for fitting me, yeh I have experience at it and some great mentors at my disposal. What do u think? Is it worth risking or is a loan essential. Or is it even worth thinking about? Thanks in advance

I'll just restate my point.

On the figures provided something is wrong.

Are you buying debt too?

No debt. Just on the face of it a floundering business but imo has potential.

DeltaDelta wrote: »
    Personally, if I was in your position I would focus on your wedding! Opportunities come and go. There will always be another one to come your way.

The voice of reason! Tbh I'm swaying this way too. It's very risky

Actually, on closer evaluation advertising is more likely to increase turnover by 15% not 20% as stated. Without increasing overheads except for the cost of advertising (around €50 pm). So profit would (I hope) increase from €1,256 pm to €1,445 pm less the €50. So nearly €1,400 for me. Not great

OP I'm on a phone so can't multi quote.

Twice you've written that it makes a profit of 1200 pm and once you've written turnover of 1200. You've also said the business needs anything and everything to make it work and alluded to it having employees. You believe it can grow 15-20%

I think you need to step back from this.

Even best case scenario on your figures this will earn you half minimum wage on an hourly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

Can you say to the current business owner:

Yes I will take it but in 12 weeks time after the wedding, and I will pay you 6k for it.

before December 1st you will have 6k and we take it from there

(it will give you time to re-think if you really want to jump into it... - also as others stated, it isn't making really a lot... it is not nothing though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

From what I read in the Weddings Forum, you'll make some serious dosh getting married. If you're covering the cost of the wedding yourself, the money given as gifts will cover a short term loan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

What field is the business in? Hard to give advice when no details

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

My own personal standpoint in business is that if someone puts a gun to my head and says it's now or never I always choose never.

Why the rush from this guy? If your not been given enough time to do due diligence walk away.

There's always another opportunity and this one doesn't sound like it will be life changing so why take a risk. And it very much has red flags associated to it

Enjoy the wedding the honeymoon and come back fresh and move at your own pace

As it stands the overheads are €900 per week and turnover is between €1,150 and €1,230 per week. The staff and equipment are all long term so no real concerns there. The customer base is very very small at the moment hence the urgent need for advertising and after that I'll have to look at ways of retaining these new customers. As for fitting me, yeh I have experience at it and some great mentors at my disposal. What do u think? Is it worth risking or is a loan essential. Or is it even worth thinking about? Thanks in advance

So you're only hoping to clear €300 a week - you have concerns over keeping/ getting new customers, there are possibly staff involved and it's a full time project for you. IMHO you'd want to be very interested in the core activity that this business delivers. But as others say, try and get some extra time to consider, research the competition and examine your customer base. Then decide but always remember that sales are the lifeblood - keeping customers, getting new customers, getting work, getting paid by customers.

OP I'm on a phone so can't multi quote.

Twice you've written that it makes a profit of 1200 pm and once you've written turnover of 1200. You've also said the business needs anything and everything to make it work and alluded to it having employees. You believe it can grow 15-20%

I think you need to step back from this.

Even best case scenario on your figures this will earn you half minimum wage on an hourly basis.

When I said turnover of 1250 it pw. Where as I've only talked about profit pm. Yeh the take home at first isn't great at all but I think it should increase steadily but slowly to 50% extra turnover (pw) by year 1.

What field is the business in? Hard to give advice when no details

It's a sex shop. Nah only messing, can u imagine the leaflets!!

Its a taxi company. Currently with 15 drivers and they're my only source of revenue. So the increase I hope for will come from attracting more drivers by increasing business through advertising. Wish it was a sex shop

tp25 wrote: »
    Can you say to the current business owner:

Yes I will take it but in 12 weeks time after the wedding, and I will pay you 6k for it.

before December 1st you will have 6k and we take it from there

(it will give you time to re-think if you really want to jump into it... - also as others stated, it isn't making really a lot... it is not nothing though)

Worth a shot but he's unlikely to go for it. He wants out soon due to ill health. I'll let u know how this goes anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I'd be wary. This person is offering you a now-or-never deal at a time when they know you are distracted with your wedding. Maybe they are hoping there is some detail you will overlook in the middle of things and they will be long gone with the 5k by the time you figure it out. Generally if something sounds too good to be true, it is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

missmatty wrote: »
    I'd be wary. This person is offering you a now-or-never deal at a time when they know you are distracted with your wedding. Maybe they are hoping there is some detail you will overlook in the middle of things and they will be long gone with the 5k by the time you figure it out. Generally if something sounds too good to be true, it is.

I agree with this. It sounds like a great opportunity on paper, and very exciting, but you'd want a rock-solid backup plan in case it all goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

It's a sex shop. Nah only messing, can u imagine the leaflets!!

Its a taxi company. Currently with 15 drivers and they're my only source of revenue. So the increase I hope for will come from attracting more drivers by increasing business through advertising. Wish it was a sex shop

Hahaha. I was about to put in an order

I've no business experience but Taxis are always going to be needed.
    For your €5000 what are you getting? Just a taxi plate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Are you currently out of work ?

If so and your husband can pay back the loan if it goes belly up , I would take the risk.
    Its a minimal enough investment to get back to work.

If you have a job ,I would consider very carefully ,is 1200 a drop or increase in earnings ?

You think the business is failing due to lack of advertisement , I would guess its rarely that simple .
    You have massive competitors with a significant competitive advantage in Hailo/My Taxi and Uber about to start to investing in Ireland.
    you also have Brexit around the corner and if that causes a mini recession the first hit are luxury's like taxi's

Advertisement