Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Setting up a mobile coffee business

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Markcheese wrote: »
    Not normally ... Especially if the stall is mobile ( and actually moved ) , and also if there isn't already planning on the ground you're using .. ( ie. It's part of a planning stipulation , eg , parking for a development or business ) that's unlikely if it's a just a gravel area ,
    Find out who actually owns it ... That's who's consent you need ,

If the gravel area is part of a business premises curtilage, the (granted) use of the business is what the planning is going to be relevant to. There's a world of difference from a coffee unit operating from a large pub car park vs outside an industrial unit on a busy roundabout and which one you are likely to get away with trading from.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Chiorino wrote: »
    If the gravel area is part of a business premises curtilage, the (granted) use of the business is what the planning is going to be relevant to. There's a world of difference from a coffee unit operating from a large pub car park vs outside an industrial unit on a busy roundabout and which one you are likely to get away with trading from.

Thanks everybody. Its a gravel area outside an old pub that's not operating anymore. It's off the road. There is no other business operating in the coffee sector in the area. It is a hugely popular walking area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

michdee wrote: »
    Thanks everybody. Its a gravel area outside an old pub that's not operating anymore. It's off the road. There is no other business operating in the coffee sector in the area. It is a hugely popular walking area.

Have you permission of the landowner?

Have you permission of the landowner?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

michdee wrote: »

You probably wouldn't need planning in that case, as there's no change in use: pubs can and do sell coffee. It might be worth getting confirmation of this from the local council of this (there is a formal name for this, which I can't recall). If you have that, it makes it a lot simpler if someone subsequently does complain.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much. Awaiting a reply from them with info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Would the landowner have to have insurance?Or could you be added

Would the landowner have to have insurance?Or could you be added

The landowner would/should have insurance appropriate to the liability associated with their own business. The OP's liability and the landowners is distinct and separate and it would be standard practice that each party would hold their own individual insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Best check if you can trade on private property first. It’s not as cut and dried as you think.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/mobile-coffee-truck-prosecution-healthcare-workers-5357808-Feb2021/%3famp=1

Carodh wrote: »
    Best check if you can trade on private property first. It’s not as cut and dried as you think.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/mobile-coffee-truck-prosecution-healthcare-workers-5357808-Feb2021/%3famp=1

There's more to that story that isn't relevant to the OP's situation.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, I've contacted the council and awaited their reply

• Registered Users Posts: 16 anon41

Hi all,

just jumping onto this thread as I am also thinking of starting a coffee cart, it is an area beside a local shop, my family actually own the strip of land and it is zoned for mixed use. I was thinking of landscaping the stipi to include some pretty features/ seats as I thought it would add to the local area.

The landscaping would be expensive, do you think it is worth it?!. I have no experience in coffee/ hospitality so no clue if it would be profitiable or not. There is a housing estate across the road and an adjacent area that has already been landscaped where ppl often bring their toddlers to play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Do the landscaping and get someone else to operate it? - Once the local shop doesn't sell coffee or anyone else nearby, it probably won't be a big issue.

But the question is whether the business is there. So many coffee carts that have set up seem to have mysteriously disappeared as the number did not add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 anon41

yeah I was thinking of getting someone else to operate it, if I could do some of the landscaping at least it wouldn't be too much money lost if it didn't work out. I

Its funny how we day dream about this stuff in our office jobs and then when it comes down to it its hard to actually take the plunge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The dreams are always more positive than reality :)

I have chatted to the guys that have a kart in the pitch & putt carpark in athgarvan just outside Newbridge. They work/study during the week and only open at weekends. Its beside the curragh, so a lot of walkers and they are into their coffee.

Seems its worth their while as a weekend job, but would not work as a full time venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 atrojan

Hi all...

like many others here, we are planning to open our coffee trailer.

We might get a spot to park and trade at the church's car parking.

I saw here that we will need an HSE permit and insurence.

Being a church, what else we will need? Any permission planning, or any other specific license?

Thanks for any advice =)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭slystallone

For the Casual Trading License - Are you only allowed operate in designated areas?

Yes, a licence would be issued for a pre-designated trading pitch. They can often come with conditions such as the hours you are allowed to operate, specific goods you can sell etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭slystallone

Yes, and have also been involved in various other things relate to market trading and event organising

• Advertisement
Advertisement