Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Dissertation

• 01-11-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking for inspiration for a MA dissertation topic. Just wondering if there are any questions or events that people think haven' been covered.

I hope this isn't breaking the rules of looking for help...I'm just really wondering if there is anything people would like to see done.

Have one idea, but my lack of German is pushing that back to being a PhD topic in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭telekon

How about the role of the land commission in the destruction of the big houses in the 40s, 50s and 60s?

Always wondered was it politically motivated or purely financial... or a bit of both?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Re Land Commission and Big Houses

I think the Land Commission did excellent work in dividing estates and sorting out the various holdings. Great maps and detailed provisions re rights of way, turbary etc.

Many of the orginal LC staff were descended from "landed gentry", so I dont think the way they dealt with big houses were political.

In some cases "demesne lands" were exempt from acquisition, thus leaving a reasonable amount of land with the big house,

E.g. Westport House estate ( Sligos ) owned a lot of West Mayo. Most of it acquired under the Land Acts for division amongst tenants, A substantial amount of land around the house was left with the family. That helped them stay on.

In another case Cregans Castle Ballyvaughan, which was a lodge for the Martyn family Ballynahinch, only a few acres were left with the house, and it nearly went to ruin. Even their water supply source was on land vested in one of the former tenants. The new owners got there just in time to save the house, arrange for a water supply, and it is now a thriving hotel.

Same at Breaffy HOuse HOtel - when sold by Land Commission c 1964 there was only a small amount of land left with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

telekon wrote: »
    How about the role of the land commission in the destruction of the big houses in the 40s, 50s and 60s?

Always wondered was it politically motivated or purely financial... or a bit of both?

I'm pretty sure this topic has been addressed in some shape or form, as I vaguely remember reading/hearing about it relatively recently. I know I definitely have a book at home regarding the 'big houses' in the North of Ireland and their demise under the Land Commission. I'll go dig it out and take a look at it again.

OP, your MA isn't like a PhD - it doesn't have to be hugely ground-breaking. I'd definitely recommend doing something you like rather than something you think other people will want to read. Have a chat with your supervisor/potential supervisor and see what they have to say on the matter. They'll also give you guidance regarding what your external examiner will be looking for in your dissertation.

Advertisement