Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on Advertising

• 21-09-2010 10:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29

Hi,

I am starting my own business organising events for single people and would be grateful for any help/ideas/suggestions on how best to advertise.
    I plan to use FB & Google Ad words, leaflet drops and maybe newspaper advertising (but not too sure if I can afford this). How effective do people find these methods and what else can I do?
    My target market is age 30+ singletons, especially males because it is difficult to get men to go to events such as these. Also I will be holding events in Dublin city centre to begin with.

Cheers
    GG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

We do something similar in Kerry and while the girls book easily, it's an ongoing struggle to get guys bookings. Editorial in the Irish Times was the single best thing we got to help bookings. If you find the magic ingredient let me know!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 gg1

Thanks for that. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

Don't pay for display ads in newspapers. Press release it up. Use prweb and businesswire if you want to give your press release a kick. You have to pay for these.

However, there are a number of free press release submission sites that you can use. One being irishpressreleases.ie

Just start with online advertising Pay Per Click and monitor how this is performing. Improve the conversion rate of your site.

Do A/B testing on your landing page. Use Google Website optimizer for this.

Also, work on your sales pitch online. Build a sales funnel and test all sections of it.

A very important thing to do is building a mailing list. This is essential if you are planning on marketing online.

I would stay away from interruption based advertising like flyers and newspaper ads. They don't work as well as online advertising. You can't make the adjustments to them over time to make them work. They are an "all in" move.

Also, you don't get real time feedback. It's way too much of a gamble.

Look at it like an investment. If Investment A gave you a 200% return and Investment B gave you a 5% return what would you put all your money into?

Great advice here. Sounds like you really know your stuff. Thanks a million.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Highligter

The great thing about online is that it's as private as it is public.

Things like facebook are great for connecting with friends and keeping up-to-date with everything your close group of friends are into.

While google search is great for discovering and researching topics/ interests that you're curious about but might not necessarily want all your friends to know about.

So by the sounds of things, your male market who you are trying to target (as they have been the least responsive so far), might not feel comfortable joining your facebook page for all their friends to see that they're attending a singles' event. Some people wouldn't care, but some would.

Therefore, I'd suggest twitter if you're going down the social networking route. People can sign-up to follow your tweets without all their friends getting a live update. This means that your male TM can see where the next event is in their area that might be of interest to them.

Also, an app/ widget with all the areas that single events are taking place might be nice too - and you could allow people to rate each event and comment about the experience and if they met anyone. An option to upload some photos is always nice too.

You can create your own widget here quite easily:
    http://developer.wolframalpha.com/widgets/tour.html

Or My Maps is a nice way to customise your own google maps' map to show all your singles' locations:
    http://maps.google.com/help/maps/mymaps/create.html

Hope this helps and good luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this. I'm getting to grips with Facebook and Twitter so I'll work on these first and then give all the other suggestions a try.

Advertisement