Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commonly believed historical inaccuracies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I was always taught in Primary school by the Mercy Nuns that the synod of 1111 was in Rathkeale. I cannot find any info online except wikipedia stating that it was in Rathbrasil near Portlaoise.

Has anyone gone a better source of information as to the location of the synod of 1111?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Caquas

Two towns in Cork claim to be the birthplace of Napoleon's favourite horse but there seems to be no solid evidence for either.
    Two Cork locations have fought a long battle maintaining it was in their areas that Napoleon's famous white horse Marengo was bred - the village of Bartlemy, near Fermoy and Buttevant, where it's said the horse changed hands on it way to France after being sold at Cahirmee Fair.

The Cahirmee Fair is a horse fair held annually just outside Buttevant and it has a long history. No doubt it supplied many horses used in the Napoleonic Wars but it seems fanciful to claim that Marengo was bought there, especially as Britain was at war with France since 1793, the year Marengo is believed to have been born.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-40229498.html

As a bonus, it is claimed that Wellington's horse Copenhagen was also bought at Cahirmee Fair. Although more plausible, that claim too is unsupported by historical evidence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_(horse)

Sorry to spoil a good yarn. Marengo deserves to be remembered - here he is crossing the Alps in probably the most famous equestrian painting. Has there ever been a more dramatic image of man and horse. Contrast Marengo's wild stare with Napoleon's calm determination. Once he crossed the Alps, Napoleon looted the finest art and sent it to the Louvre.

1024px-David_-_Napoleon_crossing_the_Alps_-_Malmaison2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but a Commonly believed historical myth is the idea that some musical notes were onced banned in the Catholic Church due to being linked to satan (tritone interval/ devil's interval). It never happened and is used regularly in religious music.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Red Hare wrote: »
    I was always taught in Primary school by the Mercy Nuns that the synod of 1111 was in Rathkeale. I cannot find any info online except wikipedia stating that it was in Rathbrasil near Portlaoise.

Has anyone gone a better source of information as to the location of the synod of 1111?

Wikipedia puts it near Mountrath

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synod_of_R%C3%A1th_Breasail

I've seen claims for a Tipperary location, and even suggestions that the Glankeen bell shrine was made to be used at the synod

http://irelandbyways.co.uk/ireland-routes/byroute-7/byroute-82-co-tipperary-co-clare/3/

So - no one really knows, but probably not Rathkeale - it needed to be somewhere physically central, but near to the territory of the power brokers. Probably the most important synod until Thurles in 1850, so it would be nice if it was in Tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Charlie Haughey won the Tour de France:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Eamonn De Valera was the only person apart from Einstein who could understand and explain the latter's Theory of Relativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Much of what passes as history in the pages of Ireland's Own.

And this gem..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/president-tells-turks-an-anecdote-of-myth-not-fact-1.643295

PRESIDENT MARY McAleese and her officials were left red-faced last night after it was learned that remarks she made on Tuesday night in Turkey linking that country with Drogheda were based on local myth and not fact.

The comments were made during a state dinner in the capital, Ankara, as part of a four-day official visit.

Mrs McAleese told VIP guests Turkey had helped Ireland during the Famine. She said: “During that famine, Turkey’s then leader Sultan Abdul Majid sent three ships loaded with food to Ireland. The cargo was unloaded in a port called Drogheda and since then, at the insistence of the people, the star and crescent of your country forms part of the town’s coat of arms.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Mary probably came up with that story by herself as once a hack, always a hack and the first rule of journalism is to garble the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Eamonn De Valera was the only person apart from Einstein who could understand and explain the latter's Theory of Relativity.
    He still couldn't see that 64 is greater than 57...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Mary probably came up with that story by herself as once a hack, always a hack and the first rule of journalism is to garble the facts.

And perhaps that is why the M 1 Boyne bridge was named in honour of Mary Mc.
    The local population or its leaders may have been thanking her for putting Drogheda on the map in Turkey.

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    He still couldn't see that 64 is greater than 57...

He was always one for theory, not fact.

Reading the first volume of David McCullagh's Dev biography, it would appear that he struggled to get through his exams, so perhaps he was not actually the brilliant mathematician we were led to believe.
    Another example of myth posing as history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The vegetable broccoli is named after the James Bond producer, Albert R Broccoli's family.

This 'fact' was recently repeated on a Bond podcast I was listening to and I've heard it a few other times over the years - the story being that the family crossed cauliflower with rabe to produce the vegetable.

This is bollox however, broccoli comes from the Italian plural of broccolo, which means "the flowering crest of a cabbage".

The "cheese eating surrender monkeys" notion popularised by the Simpsons and the Anglophone world.

Something like 100k French dead and missing in the Battle for France, doesn't look much like a surrender.

The vegetable broccoli is named after the James Bond producer, Albert R Broccoli's family.".

This may be a light hearted claim but surely not commonly believed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I have to stop reading this thread as I'm starting to remember some things as fact.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Caquas

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but a Commonly believed historical myth is the idea that some musical notes were onced banned in the Catholic Church due to being linked to satan (tritone interval/ devil's interval). It never happened and is used regularly in religious music.

Leonard Cohen knew that chord

“It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth
    The minor falls, the major lifts
    And even though it all went wrong
    I'll stand right here before the Lord of song“

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

That Hitlers panzers were superior to the French and British tank designs in 1939.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd like to believe this one but I find it extremely difficult to do so. Hendrix died in 1970. Gallagher hadn't even begun his solo career by then. He was still in Taste, which was a support band at best. Don't think Gallagher's international reputation took off until the early 1970s, ie after Hendrix's death.

I know it’s a question that Jimi felt awkward answering and he would always deflect onto other guitarists. Even the time buried Clapton, he only wanted to jam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

saabsaab wrote: »
    That Hitlers panzers were superior to the French and British tank designs in 1939.

The electrics probably were,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

source?

See below the panzer I and II made up much of Hitler's tank forces but was inferior to the bulk of the French and British tanks (Matilda II was a good tank at the time with front armour that was immune to german tanks of the time). The Germans were better at using theirs.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/france-had-tank-could-have-crushed-hitlers-best-was-wasted-19410

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Del.Monte wrote: »

The story of the Ottoman shops docking at Drogheda is hardly a new invention by McAleese, the Drogheda soccer club have based their crest on it

375px-Drogheda_United_FC.svg.png

And apparently the Turks funded wheat sent to Ireland which provided a variety of wheat "Red Stettin" (Ruadhán) grown in Ireland for the next 60 years. Perhaps this matter is not as clear as it looks.

The story of the Ottoman shops docking at Drogheda is hardly a new invention by McAleese, the Drogheda soccer club have based their crest on it

375px-Drogheda_United_FC.svg.png

And apparently the Turks funded wheat sent to Ireland which provided a variety of wheat "Red Stettin" (Ruadhán) grown in Ireland for the next 60 years. Perhaps this matter is not as clear as it looks.

The star and crescent is the royal charter given to Drogheda by King John.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Aegir wrote: »
    The star and crescent is the royal charter given to Drogheda by King John.

While soccer heads are somewhat West British by nature, do you not think that they might have preferred to associate themselves with an act of generosity by the Sultan rather than the King of England?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In spite of several memorials and at least one popular song, you would be lead to believe Ireland had more sympathy for the Republican side of the Spanish Civil War but the reverse was actually true at the time.
    Many more Irishmen were prepared to fight for Franco than for the Republicans but that uncomfortable fact is largely forgotten today.

Public opinion may have been pro Franco but the united left had more Irish combatants in Spain than Franco had

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The song black sabbath literally is the tri tone :)

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Public opinion may have been pro Franco but the united left had more Irish combatants in Spain than Franco had

The figures say otherwise.

Commentators here shy away from the uncomfortable, they want us to be on the right side of history, pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

While soccer heads are somewhat West British by nature, do you not think that they might have preferred to associate themselves with an act of generosity by the Sultan rather than the King of England?
    They are more likely to have preferred to associate themselves with the town of Drogheda than twith either King John or Sultan Abdulmejid. It's obvious that the soccer club took this emblem from the town's coat of arms. There's not the least reason to think that they either knew or cared how the emblem came to be in the coat of arms in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The figures say otherwise.

Commentators here shy away from the uncomfortable, they want us to be on the right side of history, pardon the pun.

My sources are most likely biased to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

still untrue. the greatest pressures probably came from land clearance for agriculture, firewood and charcoal, pit props, barrel staves etc.

Yez are all wrong, there was a guy on Prime Time a few weeks ago, talking about Bord na Mona ending Peat production... and he said

"We cut down all our trees"

So there !!

Advertisement