Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LastPass due to restrict free users to One Device

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

observanto wrote: »
    lifehacker.com: Bitwarden Is Now the Best Free Alternative to LastPass

That's not a clear recommendation though, it says its the best free version but not if its comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Inquitus wrote: »
    That's not a clear recommendation though, it says its the best free version but not if its comparable.

So far so good for me. Every function I used onlastpass is present in bitwarden. Like I mentioned earlier, biggest issue I spotted was the slowness of sync between devices, but I don't change passwords that often and then need to use a new device, so that's not a real issue.

dulpit wrote: »
    So far so good for me. Every function I used onlastpass is present in bitwarden. Like I mentioned earlier, biggest issue I spotted was the slowness of sync between devices, but I don't change passwords that often and then need to use a new device, so that's not a real issue.

Does it fill in app passwords on your phone like lastpass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Sure does

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Can confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cromelex

Moved to Bitwarden as well, ended up paying the 10 USD for the premium so I can use my Yubikey and the TOTP functionality. Worth it, no issues so far on either Windows or Android. And I can even use my laptop's fingerprint reader to unlock the vault!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,553 ✭✭✭✭listermint

moved over today and got premium, only thing that is a pain is the prefill in chrome. you have to right click and 2 more clicks for autofill. where as on last pass it had either intelligent fill or there was a lastpass icon in the fields just 1 click.

That needs to be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 28,300 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any tips for what will work best on a work laptop with no admin rights? The Last pass Chrome extension is installed, though further extensions are blocked. What would give best usability for prefilling usernames and passwords without any install?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cromelex

listermint wrote: »
    moved over today and got premium, only thing that is a pain is the prefill in chrome. you have to right click and 2 more clicks for autofill. where as on last pass it had either intelligent fill or there was a lastpass icon in the fields just 1 click.

That needs to be sorted

There is a setting, "Enable Autofill on Page load", that will autopopulate it every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 observanto

listermint wrote: »

That needs to be sorted

You can try the auto-fill option: Settings / OTHER / Options / Enable Auto-fill On Page Load
    However in my opinion the auto-fill doesn't work very well and I don't use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

observanto wrote: »
    You can try the auto-fill option: Settings / OTHER / Options / Enable Auto-fill On Page Load
    However in my opinion the auto-fill doesn't work very well and I don't use it.
    Strange, I find it works quite well, as well as LastPass did in any case. I find it odd though that it's not enabled by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 observanto

Alun wrote: »
    Strange, I find it works quite well, as well as LastPass did in any case. I find it odd though that it's not enabled by default.

In a way it works to well. I don't like that after I log out and online services end up on the login page BW populates credentials again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Op here. I use Lastpass on iOS (iPad & phone), google chrome (windows) and safari (Mac)...

For any users who have moved to Bitwarden, what has your experience been like if you use all and or any or these platforms?
    How much is an annual premium sub for Bitwarden?

I really love the Lastpass interface.... such a pity they have moved in this direction, but i guess that's business :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Op here. I use Lastpass on iOS (iPad & phone), google chrome (windows) and safari (Mac)...

For any users who have moved to Bitwarden, what has your experience been like if you use all and or any or these platforms?
    How much is an annual premium sub for Bitwarden?

I really love the Lastpass interface.... such a pity they have moved in this direction, but i guess that's business :(

Premium sub is 10 dollars for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 47 StemCell

Long time user of LastPass, even paid for premium at one stage but yeah, their business decision to offer for free a few years ago what people were paying for has killed their market share now.

I exported my LastPass vault to CSV and after a few retries to import my passwords and secure notes, BitWarden is now my primary password manager.
    Works in home laptop, work laptop and Android phones.

One thing I had to tweak on every device, so not a global setting was "settings" -> "Options" - "Default URI Match Detection" to "Host".

It defaulted to "base domain", but that's no good in a company where you have multiple subdomains or a home network with services that differ by port number.

LastPass premium used to be around €15.

They've destroyed themselves looking for a lot more, I'd voluntarily pay Bitwarden premium now.

Have to say, migrating to Bitwarden raised a few eyebrows when they gave a (free) report on potential previous breaches.

So +1 for BitWarden especially since they're open source.
    Haven't looked at self hosting option yet.

StemCell wrote: »
    Long time user of LastPass, even paid for premium at one stage but yeah, their business decision to offer for free a few years ago what people were paying for has killed their market share now.

I exported my LastPass vault to CSV and after a few retries to import my passwords and secure notes, BitWarden is now my primary password manager.

One thing I had to tweak on every device, so not a global setting was "settings" -> "Options" - "Default URI Match Detection" to "Host".

It defaulted to "base domain", but that's no good in a company where you have multiple subdomains or a home network with services that differ by port number.

They've destroyed themselves looking for a lot more, I'd voluntarily pay Bitwarden premium now.

Have to say, migrating to Bitwarden raised a few eyebrows when they gave a (free) report on potential previous breaches.

Did you have rights to install on your work laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 StemCell

Did you have rights to install on your work laptop?

Depends on your I.T. policy.

I was able to install it directly from the Chrome extension/add-on store.
    The Firefox extension/add-onstore was blocked until I logged out of the VPN, then I could install it.

A lot of people just have a normal laptop for work if they aren’t in an American multinational anyway. Definitely a lot handier when you can just add the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Also was an advocate for lastpass who did pay premium way back when before they made the features free, now moved to bitwarden and have to say the move was seemless and paying their premium. Works on home/work/mobile devices flawlessly.

Depends on your I.T. policy.

I was able to install it directly from the Chrome extension/add-on store.
    The Firefox extension/add-onstore was blocked until I logged out of the VPN, then I could install it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I don't have access to the store, regardless of the VPN. I used to have access, so I have the LastPass extension installed, but I won't be able to install a replacement app.

Hence my question as to which of the alternative options would work best without an installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

There's a family option similar to Spotify family, or Microsoft Family 365.

Lastpass would cost I think it's 46eur per year, so that would be around 7.6eur per person.

It's the account owner + 5 members.

Has anyone started looking at this option?

For those that moved to Bitwarden

Tip on how to autofill more than user name and password

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitwarden/comments/m9vkq1/psa_bitwarden_does_more_than_autofill_your/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Been using Bitwarden about 3 weeks now on Windows and Android and I can't fault it.. I'd actually say it's better than LastPass.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Been using Bitwarden about 3 weeks now on Windows and Android and I can't fault it.. I'd actually say it's better than LastPass.

Same here. Find it handy for 2FA on android as code gets copied to clipboard so no need to open separate app to get generated code

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Changed to Bitwarden last week and happy with the moving process and the programme itself. I'm on the free version for now but I will pay the 10 per annum soon to support the developers.

As others have said, LastPass should have led us gently into a payment option and people like me would have stayed with them to avoid hassle (though there wasn't any really). It was a poorly thought out plan by LastPass IMO.

Advertisement