Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerial options

• 25-02-2021 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Looking to put an unobtrusive aerial outside and came across this

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9375619/Trail/searchtext%3ETv+aerial.htm

Has anyone ever used one and are they any good?? Will it get saorview or is that done through a saorview box??

Attic is insulated with the foil backed board, hipped roof and don't want aerial on chimney as it is a scenic are. About 15 miles as the crow flies to transmitter

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Is there a reason you need an amplified outdoor aerial?

This page has a selection of aerials
    https://www.freetv.ie/saorview/tv-aerials/

You can get an aerial specifically for your local transmitter .... they are colourcoded.

A suitable aerial will receive the transmissions which should be fed to a tuner, either in a TV or a Saorview compatible set top box.

Didn't know the difference, doesn't have to be amplified.
    I want something flat and unobtrusive .

OK so set top box as well.
    Learning everyday ,

Thank you for the prompt response

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Didn't know the difference, doesn't have to be amplified.
    I want something flat and unobtrusive .

Learning everyday ,

Thank you for the prompt response

You might be close enough to the transmitter (depending on its power output) for a standard aerial to work in the attic despite the foil.

What about an aerial on the side or back of house if either faces towards the transmitter?

(attempted to edit my previous post but deleted it in error :()

On what device will you watch TV channels?

On what device will you watch TV channels?

I am looking to get RTE on a TV upstairs in converted attic room. Basic LG television with no Saorview built in. Always hooked up to DVD player but with everyone at home I am relegated upstairs for football.

I will put an aerial outside, I am just looking for something unobtrusive and was wondering about the argos flat wall mounted one.
    If I used the amplified one would it be a problem? Could probably run downstairs TV off it as well( currently have indoor set top aerial)

I am looking to get RTE on a TV upstairs in converted attic room. Basic LG television with no Saorview built in. Always hooked up to DVD player but with everyone at home I am relegated upstairs for football.

I will put an aerial outside, I am just looking for something unobtrusive and was wondering about the argos flat wall mounted one.
    If I used the amplified one would it be a problem? Could probably run downstairs TV off it as well( currently have indoor set top aerial)

If your set top aerial is working downstairs, then maybe it will also work in the attic space ... or have you tested that?

Give the model number of your LG TV ...... its specs should indicate if it is capable of receiving Saorview signals or not.

The necessity for an outdoor aerial is dependent on your location, the power of the transmission, and building factors such as foil backed insulation as mentioned.
    I would suggest buying a real cheap indoor aerial (a few euros) for test purposes, or use the one you have to do the tests in the attic, before making plans for a flat or external aerial.

A piece of 'wire clothes hanger' has been known to work wonderfully in some locations .....

• Advertisement

Looked at the plate on the TV...... LG 37LH4010 from 2009.... the land before saorview. A good buy from Richersounds.ie.
    No wonder the indoor aerial can't pick up RTE.... :pac::pac:

Think if I have to buy a saorview box I may as well go full on and buy a smart TV saorview enabled. Still want to put an aerial outside. Would the amplified one run 2 or 3 TV??

Thanks for your time helping out.... much appreciated.

That TV has a DVB-T tuner which is what Saorview uses.
    Have you used the scanning function to scan your local transmitter's frequencies?
    Different transmitters use differing frequencies so you need to be sure you are searching on the correct frequencies for the transmitter from which you are trying to receive.

I would be inclined to make sure all avenues on the TV are exhausted before buying any STB.

Depending on sufficient signal strength, an unamplified aerial is capable of feeding more than one TV.

It is mainly driven by the aesthetics of the thing. I suppose the question is do these flat aerials work and is it wrong to use an amplified one or could it be too strong? Do amplified aerials require power?
    I will try the indoor one over the weekend and see what happens as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

It is mainly driven by the aesthetics of the thing. I suppose the question is do these flat aerials work and is it wrong to use an amplified one or could it be too strong? Do amplified aerials require power?
    I will try the indoor one over the weekend and see what happens as well.

Those fancy flat aerials are useless. That is why the broadcasters don't use them to transmit. You need an aerial that looks like one not something aesthetic.

Using an amplified aerial when not needed can cause overloading of the tuner which can give similar problems as too little signal.

Amplified aerials do require power. Without power you will get nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭swoofer

I liked the look of that so had a look round, its cheaper at currys, and gets rave reviews on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-All-Amplified-Outdoor-Digital-White/dp/B00BF4OUXI/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&hvadid=80126941687952&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=amplified%2Boutdoor%2Btv%2Baerial&qid=1614430600&sr=8-5&th=1

here are the instructions it goes on a pole but others have used it inside.

https://www.oneforall.com/sites/default/files/2020-11/SV9450%20Manual%20Nov2020.pdf

If you go to makers website you can put in your details ie eircode and they will confirm compatablity. You are 15 miles away so wont overload.

https://www.oneforall.com/tv-antennas#/step-1

I think your TV is too old for SAORVIEW, its a TV that can get Freeview HD as opposed to freeview SD that is required, different spec but try it, you may get sound only.

And very important its bigger than it looks

Product Dimensions 20 x 6.3 x 32.2 cm; 1.67 Kilograms, 3.68lbs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That LG TV should have an MPEG4 tuner and be fine with Saorview.

My aging 32" I'm sure is the same series and it works fine.

Anyway, a wee bit of searching and this is tech sheet for the LH4000 which should be the same.
    https://www.lg.com/de/products/documents/37LH4000.pdf
    Spec is in German but you'll find it near the very end "Tuner Anzahl" SD+HD MPEG4+2 +Analog Kabel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

swoofer wrote: »
    I liked the look of that so had a look round, its cheaper currys, and gets rave reviews on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-All-Amplified-Outdoor-Digital-White/dp/B00BF4OUXI/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&hvadid=80126941687952&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=amplified%2Boutdoor%2Btv%2Baerial&qid=1614430600&sr=8-5&th=1

here are the instructions it goes on a pole but others have used it inside.

https://www.oneforall.com/sites/default/files/2020-11/SV9450%20Manual%20Nov2020.pdf

If you go to makers website you can put in your details ie eircode and they will confirm compatablity. You are 15 miles away so wont overload.

https://www.oneforall.com/tv-antennas#/step-1

I think your TV is too old for SAORVIEW, its a TV that can get Freeview HD as opposed to freeview SD that is required, different spec but try it, you may get sound only.

And very important its bigger than it looks

Product Dimensions 20 x 6.3 x 32.2 cm; 1.67 Kilograms, 3.68lbs

I am always wary of antenna product descriptions that claim perfect reception within a certain distance and perfect reception every time, as I have seen with the ONE4ALL products. Totally impossible claims to stand over when you are dealing with RF propagation.

I have one possible transmission source 5 miles away from me and another 15 miles away. The far one is pushing 125Kw output power and the nearer one is only 250 watts - both are on different channel groupings and polarization and crossing different terrain to get to me. Basically, a specific antenna is required for each.

I put my details into the antenna selection tool linked above and it has recommended a high gain beam antenna costing €55. I am currently using a specifically grouped basic antenna that cost me €20 and really does give perfect reception every time.

I know from many hours of experimentation at my location with various traditional antenna designs that no type of internal antenna will work for me, no matter what a sales orientated website might recommend.

Bottom line is, don't trust sales claims and recommendations for indoor antennas, or for use outdoor that seek to flout the physical wavelength rules of antenna design by offering something that is less obtrusive or more beautiful.

If they work, the chances are that there was always a better and cheaper solution available anyway.

Good points but the OP was opting for neatness and in the pic it did look tiny but its a little bigger and its pole mounted and amplified. Out of curiosity I went back to that site and selected indoor, it should have come back and said NONE but it suggested a rake of indoor ones that I know at my location wont work in a million years.

It might be an idea to give that fancy looking one a swerve. And its expensive.

I got this from freetv with an amplifier, 15 miles from transmitter, trees in way and I still get 100% signal as per box. 32 Element UHF TV Aerial for Saorview Its small on outside mast above a dish.

There are no 32 element aerials. Max is around 21. If they quote 32 element it is probably around 8 and they have counted them 4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

winston_1 wrote: »
    There are no 32 element aerials. Max is around 21. If they quote 32 element it is probably around 8 and they have counted them 4 times.

I have a Triax 64 element aerial to pick up RTE here in the north.

Now I am even more confused..... think I will extend the satellite dish pole and put a regular aerial on it. Would have been tempted to put the flat one on the pole but I too would be suspicious of a product that can do everything 100%.

I agree, what I did with mine was buy a mast head amp sent to a three way splitter to feed 3 tv's but this aerial is good so try it.

https://www.freetv.ie/aerial-for-saorview/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

In my case, I went for the more powerful, but further away transmitter because of line of sight issues, and I used this smaller antenna :

https://www.freetv.ie/black-wide-band-uhf-aerial/

Note : that is a wide band antenna as I am receiving from a transmitter operating on the higher frequency channels. If your location is receiving the lower channels, you can select a specific channel group option of that antenna.

32 Element UHF TV Aerial for Saorview
    https://www.freetv.ie/aerial-for-saorview/

• Advertisement

I have a Triax 64 element aerial to pick up RTE here in the north.

They are lying, probably a 16 element.

All of those are 8 element. Each cross is ONE element (not 4). The reflector is ONE (reflector) element. You do not count the individual rods.

Another lying advert. That aerial is 7 or 8 element. Can't quite see if it has a launch director. Note how low the gain is. A decent true 14 element yagi has more gain and less windage.

There is a well known custom when posting in a thread and it is very simple, if your post does not add anything useful to the thread then dont post.

Winston you qualify big time, you are taking up space. And you are probably on everyone's ignore list but I get an email when thread is added to.

Give us a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

They are lying, probably a 16 element.

Televes Pro 45 and Televes Pro 72. How many elements do they have?

Televes Pro 45 and Televes Pro 72. How many elements do they have?

Count them. The Pro45 has 3 booms with around 7 or 8 elements on each say 24 in total. Then there is a dipole reflector so 26.

There is a well known custom when posting in a thread and it is very simple, if your post does not add anything useful to the thread then dont post.

Winston you qualify big time, you are taking up space. And you are probably on everyone's ignore list but I get an email when thread is added to.

Give us a break.

Knowing the actual number of elements is useful as is knowing the adverts are lying.

Advertisement